AIRhino
asta

Gender and Sex are the same thing. (Sex as in the definition of male or female)

AIRhino

Pro

My argument is that after the law, As well as millennia of biological evidence and straight facts say that there are two sexes/genders (I believe that in this context they are the same) that the feelings of people should not then dictate how I have to behave. I believe that I should be able to call you by your biological gender and that I shouldn't have to walk on glass in order to not offend you when I've never talked to you before. I believe that gender and sex were interchangeable until 1949, With Simone de Beauvoir and in the 80s and 90s with Judith Butler. My goal with this debate is not to be offensive or to cause harm in any way, I'm simply encouraging a civil debate in which someone with the opposite viewpoint explains to me why they think the way they do. I appreciate any time you spend talking with me because I'm 100% open to new ideas! :D
asta

Con

Of course they are not the same. One of the words has 6 letters and the other has 3 letters. One of the words starts with G and the other starts with S.
AIRhino

Pro

If you don't mind, I'd like someone to accept the debate that actually has some interesting insight on the topic, Not a troll.
asta

Con

I was not trying to be a troll. If I were a troll, I would be off topic. I exploited a technicality with the words in order to get an easy win. You have yet to refute it. I merely have to find one thing different from sex and gender in order for them to be the not the same thing. Good luck.
AIRhino

Pro

That is off topic. If you were somewhat informed on the topic/wanted a real debate, You would have attacked the obvious argument that I was presenting instead of going at the spelling of the words. Clearly I wasn't talking literally about the words themselves being the same, Rather the definitions. We can agree that the spelling of the words "gender" and "sex" are different, However the definitions in my opinion are the same.
asta

Con

It is not off topic. I stated a legitimate difference between sex and gender. A troll would say something like, "Fortnite is retarded" or, "Were you there? ". I'm kind of literal, So I take things literally at least instinctively. You can change the debate to, "The concept of sex and the concept of gender are the same" to avoid this loophole.
AIRhino

Pro

Is that not implied though? The concept of gender and the concept of sex being the same thing has been a debate for years, No one ever debated that the words are spelled differently.
asta

Con

It's implied. I was bored at the time of the debate and I wanted an easy win. It's still a difference.
AIRhino

Pro

I wrote all that for nothing, Vote pro.
asta

Con

Dear voters, I have presented a big boy difference between sex and gender. Pro has yet to refute it. He wrote a lot of text yes, But he can copy and paste it into a new debate so he essentially has a format that he can use for intro debates. Vote Con and Good luck to Pro.
Posted by AIRhino 3 years ago
AIRhino
I love Ben Shapiro by the way, However I don't think that you deserve to have him as your profile picture if you're going to take the easy way out. I don't think he would have done that.
Posted by asta 3 years ago
asta
I'm very competitive. Most debates I try to convince the other side and win at the same time. You can check my profile if you don't believe me.
Posted by AIRhino 3 years ago
AIRhino
I'd believe it, I can't believe that you go onto debate websites and look for wins instead of proving points though.
Posted by asta 3 years ago
asta
This might tie.
Posted by AIRhino 3 years ago
AIRhino
My point is, It doesn't matter what you prefer to be called. The issue comes when people are making a point that there are an unlimited quantity of genders, And so many unbiological pronouns, That it would be impossible to even think to make work in our law. Just because someone says/thinks they are something, It doesn't make them that thing. If I said I was a polar bear, And you approached me, Who looks like a completely normal human male and said, Hey MAN, How are you doing? Would you want me to get offended? It doesn't matter what I think/say/act like. It matters what I am.
Posted by Pppossum 3 years ago
Pppossum
Biologically, For humans, There, S 2 genders, Male and female.
Genetically there are a few viable expressions, XY and XX being the norm, But also XXX, XYY, Etc. . .

Those 2 things can not be changed.

Phisyologically there, S also hermaphrodyte people.
Socially there, S male behavior (role) and female behavior (role) with different patterns depending on culture.

Those 2 can be manipulated by people at will.

Now, Do you want to address a person by his genetic or by his identity?
That depends on your courtesy.
If a person is called "A" in his birth certificate but he prefers to be called "B" by choice, You can act civic or selfish, Is not illegal to be rude.
Posted by AIRhino 3 years ago
AIRhino
There is a difference between sexual preference and gender identity. They aren't the same thing. I never said that your sex/gender determines what you prefer sexually, I just said that your feelings don't affect who/what you are. If I said I was a tree, That doesn't make me a tree.
Posted by Block19 3 years ago
Block19
I think the best way to clear up this issue is to agree that there is a difference between your biological gender and your sexual orientation/identity. Your biological gender is either XX or XY, Those choices are a byproduct of humans method of reproduction. However biologically speaking, There is no reason why your reproductive system should determine your cognitive identity or sexual preference.
Posted by AIRhino 3 years ago
AIRhino
Wait hold on, You mean "gender" in the societal definition. Gender as in how someone identifies and not how someone is born. In my opinion they are the same but yes you may argue that gender isn't determined biologically. I apologize for my misunderstanding.
Posted by AIRhino 3 years ago
AIRhino
There is no argument there. The biological sex of any human child born is determined by either a pair of XX chromosomes, Or one X and one Y chromosome. I'd be able to very easily link articles in the argument that you'd have no rebuttal against. The fact that gender is determined biologically has been scientifically proven on many occasions.