Makena
billsands

Genetic Engineering of Humans Is Ethical.

Makena has forfeited round #2.
Updated: 1 week ago Status: Debating Period

Makena

Pro

I'd like to start off this debate with the framework that genetic modification is NOT cloning, And cloning is not relevant to this debate whatsoever. "Ethical" means morality (people in my debate league confused it with logic, Eye roll) and that if these narrows are violated, I will call you out for it.

My first assertion revolves around Health, And that with the assistance of genetic modification, Health problems will dramatically decrease. Approximately 95% of health problems are genetic, According to multiple government websites. We're not just talking about asthma, Either, We're talking about medical issues such as cancer and other life-threatening health issues. 9. 7 million people die of cancer each year, And genetics are to blame for the staggering number. That's where genetic engineering steps in and takes the reins. No one deserves to have their life taken away from them, And we can't just sit here when we have the POWER to make a difference. We need to use our technology to save lives instead of supplying the youth with first person shooter games. A scientist named He Jiankui had to go against the law in China just to save the lives and future of two twin girls from a life-threatening disease. I'm not here to twist the reality of our everyday lives, But instead ponder at the fact that a variety of people believe that genetic modification is not ethical. How is it unethical if it has the strength to save millions of lives?
billsands

Con

whether it is ethical or not isnt even a question it may be done in a n ethical or unethical fashion depending on over site it all depedns on details the devil is always in the details there is a right way and a wrong way to do everything. . The real question is will it be inevitable to the survival of the species. . If you look at the changing environment i'd say yes
Posted by Yoshikage69Kira 1 week ago
Yoshikage69Kira
genetic modification is just a tool, It can be used for both "good" and "bad"
Posted by damato 1 week ago
damato
2 questions
a)does genetic engineering include chromosome modification ( like perhaps replacing a x with y etc. )cause that tracks down to transgender issue u know
b)what about psychotic parents who would want dimples blue eyed blonde baby or something like that. Its sounds like a Pandora's box to me. And i do not think 90 or 95% health problems are genetic.
Posted by OneOpenMind 1 week ago
OneOpenMind
I don't necessarily disagree that [it may be] ethical to conduct genetic engineering on human beings, I'm just skeptical that the best way to frame the argument is exclusively via moral precepts. As a simple example I find myself reminded of an episode of Star Trek: The Next Generation entitled "Unnatural Selection. "

In the aforementioned episode, We discover a group of children has been genetically engineered to exceed the current evolutionary expectations of the human species. Everything about them was more efficient from a physiological perspective. The problem was that their advanced immune systems were so good that they (the immune systems) preemptively sought out and destroyed or changed the biochemistry of their environmental surroundings where applicable. This subsequently rendered contact with normal human beings impossible, As exposure for the latter resulted in a condition in which they would undergo rapid aging and death within a matter of hours.

Granted, The above is an extreme (and fictitious) example, But it's not difficult to imagine how there can exist deleterious, Unintended consequences when manipulating established biological states simply because doing so may be motivated by noble intentions -- or even perceived necessity.

Just a thought for interested parties to ponder on.
Posted by Leaning 1 week ago
Leaning
Personally I'd rather have society structure itself in a way that it can feed itself, And not overpopulate itself.
Rather than create a bunch of GMO foods.

If a person genetically modifies a human, Do their genetically modified genes become passed on?
Couldn't our meddling with workings beyond our ken, Spell disaster?
End the way of Mao and his sparrows?
Posted by canis 1 week ago
canis
"Approximately 95% of health problems are genetic". . . I would say 95-97% of health problems are caused by what we eat and how sociaty "works". .
Posted by Leaning 1 week ago
Leaning
Hm, I don't really understand enough about Genetic Engineering, To accept, I think.