Amphia
Anonymous

Give the unicorn to science

Anonymous has forfeited round #2.
Started: 3/4/2018 Category: Funny
Updated: 3 years ago Status: Debating Period

Amphia

Con

RE-DO of an old debate.

If you were to discover the last unicorn on Earth, what would you do? Legend has it that the blood of a unicorn can cure cancer. And it may also be the key to teleportation.

Some might say that we give it to science but I say no! Imagine what they would do to it! Experiment and harm the poor creature. And since it's the last one, they might try and clone the unicorn which could fail and lead to a destructive new species of unicorn.

Also, if it's the key to teleportation, we have a huge problem. What if scientists figured out how to teleport? That sort of technology could ruin us. Wars would be teleported! Murders would kill and then just teleport! It'd be a disaster!

Pro

Hello there, and, as usual, thank you for the debate.
I hereby contend that, should a sole in the universe unicorn be discovered, it should become a subject of scientific research.

I am to use the conventional definition and "unicorn" namely that of "A mythical animal typically represented as a horse with a single straight horn projecting from its forehead." [1]
Moreover, I approve my opponent's further assertions as to the characteristics of a unicorn, regarding its blood being a cure for cancer and teleportation.

1. My opponent claims that the process of scientific research could harm the unicorn, as well as that attempts to clone it might yield the same results. I happen to disagree, as biology and medical sciences have developed methods of examination that have been proven to cause no pain or harm, such as electromagnetic radiation, blood tests and substances that can nullify potential pain. As for cloning, our technology so far allows for DNA cloning, which would neither harm the initial unicorn, nor render the descendants uncontrollable.

2. Knowledge of teleportation will not pose any threat to humanity, if we are able to control ourselves. It is certainly, dare I say, pathetic to hold oneself back in fear of themselves. This is no major problem, should we use such knowledge wisely.

3. Lastly, knowledge of teleportation, ability to cure cancer and the rest of the expected and unexpected findings that would arise from scientific examination of a unicorn would help humans develop medicine and technology beyond possible imagination, being indisputably of our benefit; there is no reason to let such opportunities fade and perish.

That is to say, on to round two.

[1] Oxford dictionaries, "Unicorn"
https://en.oxforddictionaries.com...
Amphia

Con

1. My opponent claims that: "biology and medical sciences have developed methods of examination that have been proven to cause no pain or harm, such as electromagnetic radiation, blood tests..." I assume my opponent was stating that unicorns could be examined using X-rays (a type of electromagnetic radiation but correct me if I am wrong) and blood tests. X-rays would not be sufficient in understand the unicorn's properties other than figuring out its internal features. And blood tests, are invasive and require opening up skin to extract blood. Scientists are likely to take many samples from the creature which could deteriorate its nutrient/blood supply. Also, since little is known about the unicorn, scientist might not know of the proper ways to handle it, feed it, etc. The unicorn could die! Regarding cloning, I concede.

2. My opponent mentions that if humanity can control itself, then teleportation will not pose a threat. I find this to be somewhat naive, if not willfully blind. Empirically, humanity has been known to use new technology to harm others. In WWII, we saw the development of atomic bombing that was used to decimate Hiroshima and subsequently Nagasaki, injuring and killing millions of adults AND children. I would not argue that preventing humans from destroying one another with new technology is pathetic, rather we are attempting to extend the existence of the human race.

3. One must remember that the blood of the unicorn's healing properties are only rumors. What if we were to discover that it didn"t cure cancer after all?! But even if it did, the costs far outweigh the benefits. If we were to find the cure to cancer, it is likely that we would have also found out how to teleport. Wars would occur using teleportation which could have disastrous effects. Imagine if a country like North Korea got a hold of teleportation? Imagine what they would do? Or Russia? Countries with a thirst for revenge would start WWIII!

Sometimes, we need to let things go.
Posted by Anonymous 3 years ago
DeletedUser
I'm really sorry for this. I did not have the time to respond within the 24-hour limit.