rocinante
DrAnomaly

God Does Not Exist

DrAnomaly has forfeited round #5.
Updated: 2 years ago Status: Debating Period

rocinante

Pro

I'll take the ontological challenge, since others seem to have given-up. God does NOT exist. Prove me wrong.
DrAnomaly

Con

Hey, I'm an atheist myself, but I accept. Also, I'm not going to use only the ontological argument, as I think it is the weakest of all the arguments used to support theism/deism. So I'll present it.

P1. God is, by definition the greatest entity that can be conceived
P2. If God does not exist, then a greater entity can be conceived, that being one that exists
C . Therefor, God exists.
rocinante

Pro

Dr. Anomoly, thank you for accepting.

The ontological argument reveals several things about human nature:

1) Human beings possess the capacity of imagination.
2) Human beings are capable of cognitive bias. The argument is a circular argument that doesn't prove the existence of god.
3) "...The priviledge of Absurdity; to which no living creature is subject, but man only" (Hobbes).

However, while the argument reveals a lot about human nature, it doesn't prove that god exists. If I say, "Stanley is in Worthington, therefore Stanley is in Worthington," doesn't prove that Stanley is in Worthington. The circular argument originally devised by Anselm doesn't prove that god exists. In other words, the ability to create an argument in favor of the existence of god doesn't in itself prove that god exists. It does not suffice for evidence. It simply proves that humans are imaginative, are capable of cognitive bias, and are therefore absurd.
DrAnomaly

Con

Yeah, there are a lot of issues with the ontological argument, I'm going to move onto some that aren't as bad. I don't really expect to win this debate.

P1. Whatever begins to exist has a cause
P2. The universe began to exist
C . Therefor the universe has a cause

P1 is law of cause and effect. P2 is evidenced by the continued expansion of the universe. This cause is God.
rocinante

Pro

I'll let off the gas for a moment and admit, the origin of the universe and the forces that govern it aren't yet fully understood. However, that doesn't suffice for evidence that proves the existence of god.

In other words, "absence of evidence is not evidence of absence." It is a false dichotomy: until we have evidence to the contrary, god exists. That is a confusing argument from ignorance.

The lack of evidence that god does not exist doen't prove that god exists.
DrAnomaly

Con

Hol' up. The argument I presented was not an argument from ignorance. If premise one is true, and premise two is true, then the conclusion is true. On the final round, I'll go over all my arguments, and point out the issues with them (because they all have issues of some kind, otherwise I'd be a deist)

Next argument:

P1. Genuinely nonphysical mental states exist.
P2. There is an explanation for the existence of mental states.
P3. Personal explanation (PE) is different from natural scientific explanation (NSE).
P4. The explanation for the existence of mental states is either a PE or a NSE.
P5. The explanation is not an NSE.
C . Therefor the explanation is a PE.
P6. If the explanation is PE, it is theistic.
C2. Therefore, the explanation is theistic.

The first key idea in the argument from consciousness is that mental events are something over and above physical events. Although there is strong evidence that there is a connection between mind and brain, mind and brain are not the same thing. Whatever connection there might be between mental states such as beliefs, thoughts, and feelings on the one hand, and brain-states on the other, the connection is not identity. Brain-states have a specific location; mental states do not. Brain-states are as they independent of any perceiver; mental states are not. Consciousness is something more than a physical process.
rocinante

Pro

The notion of universal cause is an argument from ignorance. There must be a cause and since I can"t explain or conceive of the cause the cause must be god.

P1 is a flawed conception of the mind. People with traumatic brain injuries (TBIs) can, and unfortunately often do, become very different people. In fact, a significant number of the homeless have a history of TBI indicating a correlation. If the brain and the mental were distinct then a TBI would have no effect on a person.
DrAnomaly

Con

Sorry for replying a lil late.

First, you imply that the mind and the physical are always mutually exclusive, you haven't substantiated that. I'm move on to another argument.

If irreducibly complex biological mechanisms appear, then they were intelligently designed, because they couldn't of evolved from less complex mechanisms. Irreducibly complex mechanisms exist. Therefor, God exists.

Lets pretend that there are actually irreducibly complex systems (I know there aren't actually)
rocinante

Pro

I"m sorry to be the bearer of bad news. Unfortunately, you are nothing more than the result of a cosmic fart. The universe doesn"t need you and it has no plans for you. But I think, therefore I think I am, I think. Cry me a river!

Wahahahaha!
Posted by rocinante 2 years ago
rocinante
PTSD killed the solipsistic king!
Posted by canis 2 years ago
canis
I am, as everyone else..100 % sure that when people talk about god(s) they have no idea what they are talking about.."Your god = what you can imagine..Nothing more...Nothing less.."
Posted by rocinante 2 years ago
rocinante
I thought crannydebate was being especially insightful. 1) god exists because 2) god gave us sunday's to go to church and be taught by our elders that 3) god exists.
Posted by DrAnomaly 2 years ago
DrAnomaly
@crannydebate

I hope you're kidding.
Posted by crannydebate 2 years ago
crannydebate
God does exist. There is no need for a debate to figure it out. What do you think church and Sunday is for???