FT
Abbyisaboss

God Doesn't Exist

FT

Pro

1. Evil exists.

2. God has the quality of being able to get rid of evil everywhere in existence.

Conclusion, God Does Not Exist.

Will give you $1000 dollars to prove otherwise.
Abbyisaboss

Con

To give you some context as to where I'm coming from, I am a Christian. I do love God and I love to talk about to Him. (so thank you for starting this debate) Most of these debates end with, "How can you prove it?" So, I want to start there and then move on. So this dude that lived a while back was killed ( yes, Jesus (bear with me :))) Everyone saw it, He was stabbed through the heart with a sword. He was dead. Three days later some of His friends and family claimed to see Him. Everyone kinda assumed they were losing it because, you know, grief can do that to a person. But over the next 40 days over 500 people said that they too had seen Him. Even people who had supported His crucifixion. Why would they lie about seeing Him after He had died? He also did a whole bunch of pretty lit miracles. These have likewise been verified by multiple sources. Also, the Bible has been proven to be true time and time again, so why would they only lie about Jesus? I would like to ask you a questions, what do you believe in and why? :)
FT

Pro

Shouldn't God (using premise 2) have prevented the stabbing in the first place?
Abbyisaboss

Con

So, a Calvinistic Christian would say no, God is sovereign and He has a greater plan. Here's what I'll say: If you are familiar with the story of the Garden Of Eden then you know that we, as humans, chose sin. We gave Satan power and he uses it. Satan DOES all the crappy stuff, God allows it because we chose it. But God also knew we would need a Savior, so He sent His Son, Jesus, to die for us so that after this life we could live in eternal happiness with Him (the way He had originally intended for it to be).
FT

Pro

Have you even read my argument? You haven't told me which premises you agree on or not.
Abbyisaboss

Con

I thought I was answering it... could you refrase your question? I'm sorry...
FT

Pro

Anyway.

So you would agree that God would have the quality of maintaining an evil-free or a perfectly good existence, which is distinct from the existence now? If not, why call what you would call God, God?
Abbyisaboss

Con

I'm a little unclear as to what exactly you are asking but yes I do believe God COULD make a perfect, evil-free existence. I also believe He has. Hear me out: when you were younger and you did something wrong your parents would punish you. In the same way we (or at least the Bible says we) chose to sin. So this (sin and evil) is our punishment. But, because God loves us He HAS made an evil-free life for us (heaven). This life is so short when compared to eternity. This life is kind of like a time out. I really hope I'm answering your question and I'm sorry to have frustrated you. :)
FT

Pro

Assuming you have agreed to my definition of God, he/she/it WOULD maintain an evil-free existence by definition, he/she/it wouldn't give us free will or the freedom to sin but GOOD will or God's will. No hell, or no Earth, just heaven.

And to let you know about what I think the purpose of life is, as a gnostic atheist who is majoring in cognitive science, I believe that we live in a fallen world because we live in a godless world. But do I want a God to exist? Absolutely, which is why I think the purpose of life in a godless world is to try and build a god so the heavens are brought down to Earth and hell is extinguished, so to speak, hence a technological singularity. That is my "theology" btw, I think putting God in the past is putting the puddle before the storm. I however have no faith, only hope since I don't know if it is possible to build a God just yet.

Messege me if you want to continue the discussion in private or public.
Abbyisaboss

Con

So I actually disagree with your first paragraph... Just because God exists doesn't mean that life will be perfect. In no religion is that the case. While God can be in full control He chose not to be. Imagine being Him, would you rather people choose to love you or be forced to love you. He gave us one rule, don't eat the fruit of that tree. Pretty simple, but we ate it. We made a choice. Now why did He give us that choice: I can't say for sure but from what I've read in scripture who wants a bunch of robots bowing down to their creator. Not everything has a simple answer and so these questions are important ones...
so important that they divided the church in half. Calvinist vs. Protestant. Sometimes when looking at Christianity, you have to simply look at the core of it, see if you agree and then do your best to see what the rest of the Bible is trying to explain.

I have really enjoyed this conversation and would love to continue it in whatever forum you prefer. :)
Posted by whiteflame 3 years ago
whiteflame
*******************************************************************
>Reported vote: Kikomori// Mod action: Removed<

3 points to Pro (Arguments). Reasons for voting decision: Con fails to address many of Pro's points, hence Pro's premises still stand from the beginning.

[*Reason for removal*] The voter is required to specifically assess arguments presented by both sides. Merely stating that one side dropped points made by the other is not sufficient.
************************************************************************
Posted by dsjpk5 3 years ago
dsjpk5
Yeah, there's a big hole in your conclusion. There's more than one possible conclusion to your premises. Also, one of your premises are questionable.
Posted by WillBCool 3 years ago
WillBCool
Nice, 1000$ for my Brother in Faith.
Posted by Xviiixvi 3 years ago
Xviiixvi
I have the perfect arguement for this debate, but ima need my check once i win lol
Posted by Xviiixvi 3 years ago
Xviiixvi
Posted by Xviiixvi 3 years ago
Xviiixvi
Posted by Xviiixvi 3 years ago
Xviiixvi
Vote Placed by Dinis 3 years ago
Dinis
FTAbbyisabossTied
Reasons for voting decision: Just testing my voting privileges. But the argument is true. God can control anything, He just chooses not to.