BertrandsTeapot
CuriousSeeker

God cannot possibly be omnipotent and omniscient at once

BertrandsTeapot

Pro

If god were omniscient, He would be able to use the state of the universe at any given time to predict the state at any future time. However, If he were omnipotent, He could change that future in which case his prediction was wrong and he would not be omniscient. If he was unable to change the future, He would not be omnipotent.
CuriousSeeker

Con

Wouldn't God's prediction be in alignment with the future He has forecasted though? . If I told you that you are going to get a million bucks tomorrow on your door step and then in the middle of the night I come to your house and place a suitcase with a million dollars by it, I not only have successfully predicted the future but I have been a major player creating that future. Since God can do what he desires, Why would he ever need to change the future? It would already be what he wants
BertrandsTeapot

Pro

If you predicted I would get $1MM dollars, You could omnipotently place it there. But, If you are omnipotent, You should be able to change your mind at the last minute. This would mean your omniscient forecast did not come true.

You may say, Now, That God would have predicted that change of heart so his forecast did come true. But, No matter how many changes God predicts, He should be able to change is mind one last time, If he were omnipotent.

Also, Quantum mechanics make omniscence impossible.
CuriousSeeker

Con

I get what where you are coming from but if we are framing time as linear, Then what occurs in the past directly effects the future. Sure, God can change an outcome of something but then that outcome is just the established future anyway(of which God is aware of).
Similar to how a mathematical function changes due to the variables yet still retains it's over all shape. God can "Change His mind, " if you will, But that doesn't mean that will alter what WILL happen.

But is it for God?
BertrandsTeapot

Pro

You have made this very simple for me in stating that "God can 'change his mind, ' if you will, But that doesn't mean that will alter what WILL happen. "

If it is possible for God to want something to happen or not happen or change yet he is unable to make it so, by definition he is not omnipotent.

That should be case closed as Con defeated their own argument in an unambiguous, Objecjtive way.
CuriousSeeker

Con

I never said that God can't do what he wants. All I said was that the future is dependent on God and not the other way around. You are thinking of it like this, God is set for outcome B but He want's outcome A, But he can't get it because B is set in stone. I reality, B is set in stone because God has made a decision that will get B. At some point He may want A, And take action to receive it, But he will eventually determine B--not because the future requires it, But because God will choose it.