stevenedwards
GuitarSlinger

God is real

stevenedwards

Con

First of all, I"d like to ask you: why do you believe in god?
Why do you "love" him, Like most Catholics claim to?
What has god ever done for you?

Catholicism is a nice religion.
Its concept of good and evil is. . . Good.
But the concept of good and evil? That"s just moral code.
There IS no good and evil in the universe.
Everything is relative.
Good and evil is a human concept of what"s ethically considered acceptable.
The concept of god, For example, Only exists or existed in order to control the population into not doing "evil".
The sin is also another concept created by humans to keep everything under control.
Sinning, As explained in the Bible, Leads to hell, An afterlife destination where souls are sent to feel eternal PHYSICAL pain such as burning, For example.
Oh, Unless you confess that you"ve sinned, Of course (and repeat the lord"s prayer ten times after that)
Pretty logical, Huh?
Great way to control people though, Bravo.
Really, There"s no way to disprove the existence of god, But neither are there ways to prove it.
We can only assume what seems more logical.
GuitarSlinger

Pro

**First of all, ""**
My response #1 - I think it's important to understand what my (a Catholic) understanding of God is. I'm willing to go out on limb that you probably (a) do not have a full understanding of what the Catholic faith teaches, (b) do not have a full understanding what the Catholic faith believes God to be.
Allow me to answer your questions:
1. Why do I believe in God? As someone who fell away from the faith, I still had some nagging questions. Some were basic questions (why are we here, Why does life exist. . Why does anything exist, For that matter. . . . Come to think of it, Why does matter exist), And some were more serious profound questions (why do "bad" things happen to good people. . . . Why is there death, Disease, Decay. . . . Etc). After much study (I've studied the theological, Philosophical and scientific heavyweights), I began to arrive at some basic attributes of an entity that I believe exists. I choose to call this being with these attributes "God".
2. Simple. With my understanding of God, I believe God is an entity that created me. God did not have to create me. He did not have to give me life, Yet he did. He chose to. That's pretty unselfish of God. When somebody does something not because they have to, But because they want to, We call that unselfishness. I (and my faith) define "love" as "wanting what's best for the other. " I believe "to exist" is much better than to "not exist", So this entity (God) wanted the better part (to exist) for me. In other words he loves me. And that is why I love Him.
3. What has God ever done for me? Refer to answer #2 above.
I believe those are actually the only questions you asked. The others are just personal opinions, Correct? So allow me to address those:

**Catholicism is a nice religion. . . . **
My Response #2 - Well yea. But the question boils down to this, "Whose moral code are you using and why? And if you use that as your moral code, Let"s see where that leads you and if you are willing to accept all its consequences and possibilities"

My Response #3 " I would say no, There is good and evil in the universe. In fact, You just said there is (see above when you said "Its concept of good and evil is" Good" lol). I say that in jest, But it is kind of funny how you call something good, But then go on to say Good/Evil doesn"t exist. I would say "good" and "evil" comes into play when referring to human behavior or impact on people (or even animals). Swinging a baseball bat in and of itself is neither good nor bad. Swinging a baseball bat to hit a baseball is good (maybe not even good, Just indifferent). Swinging a baseball bat against a person"s head is bad. A tornado plowing through the inhabited plains of Kansas is amazing to watch, Almost a thing of beauty. A tornado flattening a neighborhood in Jarrell TX is bad. I would say the every fact that you are engaging in a debate tells me you believe in RIGHT and WRONG"you believe that you are right in that God doesn"t exist, And the opposing beliefs (God exists) are wrong.
**Everything is relative. **
My response #4 - True. By relative, I"m sure you mean "in relation to something else. " The question becomes, "what is this something else? "

** Good and evil is a human concept of what"s ethically considered acceptable. **
My response #5 - Is it solely a human concept? Or are you saying that because you already made up your mind that God doesn"t exist?

**The concept of god, For example, Only exists or existed in order to control the population into not doing "evil". **
My response #6 - Eh, No. That is your belief and opinion. Sorry. I don"t take what you say simply as fact"it"s merely your belief and opinion. I suspect this is what the heart of the debate will turn to. Lol.

Next time use 10000 characters. Lol. See comments for final piece of this argument.
stevenedwards

Con

stevenedwards forfeited this round.
GuitarSlinger

Pro

See previous argument
stevenedwards

Con

stevenedwards forfeited this round.
GuitarSlinger

Pro

GuitarSlinger forfeited this round.
stevenedwards

Con

stevenedwards forfeited this round.
GuitarSlinger

Pro

GuitarSlinger forfeited this round.
Posted by GuitarSlinger 3 years ago
GuitarSlinger
@dubiousceaser

*But i believe in chance the more elements you add to a god the less chance of it being true. *

what elements are you talking about in particular?
Posted by DubiousCeaser 3 years ago
DubiousCeaser
i can except the possibility of a omnipresent god based around a particular doctrine. But i believe in chance the more elements you add to a god the less chance of it being true. I think yeah mayb. But probably theres just as must chance zeus exists. Again un likely but hey the gospel of chance and i don't know sounds more convincing than either argument for divinity? Cos whats more likely you have universal truth or that you don't know?
Posted by Just-Call-Me-PK 3 years ago
Just-Call-Me-PK
Hey @stevenedwards, I'm curious to read your evidence for your statement "everything is relative" especially when you talk about logic because surely that statement is illogical? For example i could say that "everything is not relative" and according to your logic we would both be correct. Of course we can't both be correct. I second pros comments regarding your misunderstanding of the catholic church, I suggest further research.
Posted by GuitarSlinger 3 years ago
GuitarSlinger
@canis

What do you mean--
1. Which part could be the wishful thinking?
2. Which part could a nightmare?
Posted by canis 3 years ago
canis
Wishful thinking to some. Nightmare to others. The wishful thinking is only a dream. The nightmare could be real.
Posted by GuitarSlinger 3 years ago
GuitarSlinger
**Really, There"s no way to disprove the existence "**
My response #8 " Tend to agree. Wwhat I find helpful is not to try and prove that God exists outright, But to look at unveiling attributes by asking questions and using logic and reasoning. The example I like to give is if both of us have an object in front of us. We don"t know what this object is, But we begin to ask questions and uncover attributes of this object:
1. It"s large
2. It weighs a lot
3. It"s Grey
4. It"s got big floppy ears
5. It has a long trunk that sprays water
6. It"s got large ivory tusks
7. It"s smelly
At the end of the day, You can come to your conclusion, Based on reasoning and logic, And say "This object is an elephant. "
Likewise I can say at the end of the day "It"s NOT an elephant! " Likewise with God. Don"t" try to see God outright, Uncover the attributes using logic and reasoning and see where that leads you. At the end of the day, You may still choose to say it"s not God.
Posted by GuitarSlinger 3 years ago
GuitarSlinger
**The sin is also another concept"**
My response #7 - This highlights your misunderstanding of sin, Heaven, Hell, And judgement. While sin does lead to hell, Souls are not SENT, They go there on their own. People arrive in hell of their own accord/choosing. Imagine if you will a train station. On one end of the station is a train that says "to Heaven". Choosing to follow God and His commandments is basically setting foot on that train. On the other end of the station is a train that says "To Hell". If you choose not to follow God and His commandments it is basically setting foot on this train. Each person chooses which train to go on by how they live their lives. If we follow God and his commandments, We step on the train to Heaven. If we choose not to follow God and his commandments, We step on the train to hell. The whole time we are living on earth, We can be stepping on and off either train based on our choices. At the moment of death, Our ability to choose ends"the doors to the trains close. Whichever train we are on is where we are headed"of our own choosing. We are not SENT to hell. God gives us the ability to either choose to be with Him or not to be with Him. He simply grants us our wish. While we are living, We have every opportunity to choose God. We can choose to say "Thy will be done". We can also choose not to be with God"we can say "MY will be done". Either way, At the moment of death God looks at you and says "Thy will be done". In other words, He gives you what you desire. Hell is in simple terms the absence of God. God says, If you do these things, You will be with me. The problem is, People don"t want to do those things, Yet they still want to be with God.