kyleniel
GuitarSlinger

God isn't needed for the existence of the universe.

GuitarSlinger

kyleniel

Pro

Before there was the universe, There was nothing, Nothing, And only nothing can come from nothing, As logic says. However, In this nothing, There is nothing to support logic, So it is possible for something to come from nothing. It is also possible for the world to come from this nothing. So, There is no need for a deity.
GuitarSlinger

Con

Before there was the universe, There was nothing" - Not so sure you can assert this statement as fact. What I would argue is that something existed, But it did not consist of matter.

I think a better way to state this is "The material universe exists now. However, Before the material universe existed, It did not exist. It came to exist at some point". Would you agree as to a restate of the premise?

Using logic, And observing the world around us, We can observe/deduce the following:

1. Everything that exists, Needed something else to make it exist-- some other "agents" to bring about it's existence. That rock on the road. That tree over there. The car I drive. The computer you use. The cell phone you use. Heck, Even me and you. We did not "pop into existence" -- some other agents were necessary to bring about their existence. None of these things came into existence on their own. We observe this with our senses and science pretty much confirms this.

2. One can pretty much observe this with pretty much everything in the Material universe. You can ask this question pretty much about everything and you arrive at the same conclusion : "______________ needed something else (perhaps multiple things) to bring about it's existence. "

3. If one asks this question repeatedly, One ultimately arrives at the question of "What about matter itself? What brought matter into existence? " (reminds me of Rocky and Bullwinkle-- Wassamatta U. ).

4. Having observed things do not bring themselves into existence (see #1 and #2 above), It stands to reason that "Matter could not have brought itself into existence". Matter could not cause itself to exist-- it would need something that is "not" matter to bring about it's existence. Or, Put another way, Something "outside the material universe" would have been necessary to bring about the existence of Matter. Or put another way, Something "Immaterial" would be necessary to bring about the existence of matter.

So while I agree, "matter" could come from nothing. I would argue, SOMETHING is necessary to bring matter into existence, Since matter could not have come into existence of it's own accord. If it could, This would fly in the face of everything we observe in the material universe, Both with our senses and/or scientifically. This something would have to be immaterial (i. E. Not composed of matter itself).
kyleniel

Pro

1. Nothing can come from itself, It needs an external cause. So there was nothing. It's fact from its logical consistency.

2. Well, Even if something is necessary, It isn't necessarily a deity. It could be a force.
GuitarSlinger

Con

Rethinking your original post, Your argument is making an assumption that is presumed to be true: the fact that there was "nothing" before the universe came to be. Would you agree that is an assumption, And not necessarily a Truth?

I would rather say, "before the universe came to be, There was something that was NOT the universe". Now, That "something" could be either "nothing", Or it could be "something" else. I simply do not know. But I would not presume to assert as a Truth that there was absolutely nothing. . . . . .

Regarding your two points.

1. "Nothing can come from itself, It needs an external cause. " Logically speaking, This statement doesn't make sense. It, In a sense, Refutes itself. On the one hand you are saying "nothing can come from itself". That statement can actually be reworded to say "nothing can come from nothing" (substituting "itself" with "nothing", Since "itself" refers to "nothing"). But then you go on to say "it needs an external cause". Which means, If it needs an external cause, Then "nothing" can not produce "nothing"-- something other than "nothing" would be needed to produce "nothing".

This 2nd part refutes the first part-- if it needs an external cause, It needs something that is NOT nothing to cause it.

Put simply, That argument goes like this (would you agree that "itself" refers or equates to "nothing" in your statement? ). IN the argument below, "X" = "nothing" and "Y" = "itself".
Consider X and Y
1. X can come from Y, It needs an external cause.
2. X equals Y, Therefore
3. X can come from X, It needs an external cause. <---- this doesn't make sense, For if X could come from X, It would not need an external cause.

2. I will agree with you-- while logic would dictate that the Material universe would need something that is im-material to create it (i. E. Not of the material universe), This doesn't necessarily point to a GOD that created it. Let's just call it, For lack of a better word, An "Entity". Now, We are starting to see some of the characteristics of this "Entity". Or, If you want, We could even call it "Force". We've already arrived at one of the characteristics of this "force' (or entity)
1st Characteristic - Immaterial - this entity can not be composed of Matter for reasons explained above. It would defy logic set forth in the above arguments.

Keep in mind, I"m not yet calling this thing a "God", I'm just setting forth a characteristic. . . . . It would be like me saying "Man, I see this big thing in front of me. I don't know what it is, But it is Grey. " It might be too soon for me to call it an elephant, But we know something about this thing before me-- it's grey. As we start to use our reason and intellect, Perhaps this big thing will be revealed to us. Same with God. Let's not call this entity "God" yet-- let's just call it "Entity". And we know it's immaterial (not made of matter).

As a corollary to the first characteristic, A by-product of this would be this "Entity" is would not be detectable or measurable by science (as we know it). Why not? Well, Put simply, "science" measures/observes the physical material universe around us. So this Entity, As explained earlier, Would have to be "outside the physical universe". This thing. . . This entity. . . This force has no physical dimensions that could be observed (remember, It's outside the physical material universe).
kyleniel

Pro

What I meant was no object can come from itself.
GuitarSlinger

Con

Exactly. So, To re-state-- it has been observed that every object/creature/thing in the material universe can not create itself, Or bring itself into existence. An external cause is necessary. If one keeps asking this question of everything in the universe, One ultimately arrives at the question of "What about matter itself. How did matter come into existence. "

It follows that in order for "matter" to come into existence, Something outside of "matter" (i. E. Not made of "matter") would be necessary to create "matter".
kyleniel

Pro

Well, That still doesn't refute my point that it isn't necessarily a god.
GuitarSlinger

Con

Excellent observation. I think before we continue, We should probably do something we should've done in the beginning, Before we started, And that is, Agree to what a "deity" is.

*** So, May I ask you, How would you define "deity" (or if you prefer, How would you describe "deity"). ***

I ask this because I want to make sure we start off right. I want to make sure you're not expecting a "deity" to be something or do something that just isn't logical. I've had arguments where folks had the position to something akin to this: "A god (deity) should be able to make a triangle with only 2 sides ". Then, When I argue that isn't possible because it isn't logical, They counter with, With arms folded and a victorious smile on their face, "See! God doesn't exist. If an all-powerful God exists, He should be able to do ANYTHING. "

Please don"t' spend time dissecting my example above- I hope you get my point. I would just prefer we start off right and see what we both expect a "Deity" to be.

The other thing I suspect is that this discussion might take more than 5 rounds-- 50K characters is not a lot of space to discuss/debate something like "God" (Aquinas et al have written VOLUMES on the topic). Nonetheless, I"ll do my best.

Now. Back to your most recent argument. While I didn't refute your point that a "deity" isn't necessary, I think what I did argue or explain is that "some thing" is necessary to create the material universe, And that this "thing" could not be part of the material universe-- it had to be "outside" of the material universe, Not made of matter, And thus immaterial. So, This "thing" that created the material needs to be "immaterial". Would you agree?

The path I"m taking is a different path--- I'm trying to reveal characteristics of "what" created the universe. An analogy would be this: I can do my best to reveal to you the characteristics of this object in front of us. I can tell you it's large, It's grey, It has big ears and big legs, It's noisy, It's smelly, And it has a trunk. At the end of the day, If you don't believe it's an elephant, Not sure there's much more I can do, Especially if in the very beginning we agree that an "elephant" has these characteristics. At the end of the discussion you can argue, "well, If it"s an elephant, Why are there peanuts here? If this was in fact an elephant, The peanuts wouldn"t be here, Since elephants eat peanuts". Or you might say, "Nope -- an elephant is supposed to have a large horn in the middle of it's head. " I might argue that say "Hey now, You're changing your idea of what an elephant is. " I'll still challenge/debate, But I might question some things. I"m willing to debate (argue) subsequent points after debating / arguing the preliminary points.

One final point, As we debate, I'd like to address issues singularly, And not open up and try to address all issues/questions that may come up later. Let's discuss and put to rest a point, And then move on to the next. A simple analogy would be you and I are driving with a truck load of merchandise, And we come to a huge chasm/canyon in the road. You may argue we need a bridge to get everything across, I may say "No, Not necessarily. We don't HAVE to have a bridge to get everything across". You may counter with "Well, How do WE get across? How do we get all our merchandise across? Etc etc". Let's first settle the question IS a bridge the only means of getting across? Let's not try and address all subsequent questions that arise, Unless we absolutely have to. You get my point?
GuitarSlinger

Con

GuitarSlinger forfeited this round.
Posted by ghani4 4 days ago
ghani4
<p>&nbsp;A Data Scientist is someone curious, Who can stare at data and spot trends. It&rsquo;s nearly kind of a Renaissance individual who wants to be told and convey change to a corporation. </p>
<p>&nbsp;&nbsp;</p>
<p>&nbsp;How can we get the value from this avalanche of data in every sector within the economy? &nbsp;</p>
<p>&nbsp;&nbsp;</p>
<p>&nbsp;Well, We get persistent and data-mad personnel skilled in maths, Stats and programming to weave magic using reams of letters and numbers. &nbsp;</p>
<p>&nbsp;&nbsp;</p>
<p>&nbsp;There&rsquo;s never been an improved time to be told the data analytics and enter the workforce as a data scientist. The work landscape is promising, Opportunities span multiple industries and also the nature of the work often allows for remote work flexibility and even self-employment. &nbsp;</p>
<p>&nbsp;&nbsp;</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>Data science roles and responsibilities are varied and the skills needed for them vary significantly. Here, We've delineated the various data science roles in conjunction with the ability set, Technical information and mind-set required to hold it. &nbsp;</p>
<p>&nbsp;&nbsp;</p>
<p>&nbsp;&nbsp;</p>
<p>&nbsp;&nbsp;</p>
<ol>
<li>THE DATA SCIENTIST </li>
</ol>
<p>&nbsp;&nbsp;</p>
<p>&nbsp;A data scientist is perhaps one in all the most popular job titles that you simply can be placed on your card, And also the closer you get to geographic region, The more valuable this role becomes. He/she masters a full range of skills and abilities going from having the ability to handle the data, Analyzing that data with the assistance of statistical techniques, To share his/her insights with his peers in an exceedingly compelling way. </p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>&nbsp;SKILLS REQUIRED TO BECOME A DATA SCIENTIST:&nbsp;</p>
<p>&nbsp;&nbsp;</p>
<ul>
<li>Experience in programming languages like R, SAS, Python, MA
Posted by ghani4 4 days ago
ghani4
A Data Scientist is someone curious, Who can stare at data and spot trends. It"s nearly kind of a Renaissance individual who wants to be told and convey change to a corporation.

How can we get the value from this avalanche of data in every sector within the economy?

Well, We get persistent and data-mad personnel skilled in maths, Stats and programming to weave magic using reams of letters and numbers.

There"s never been an improved time to be told the data analytics and enter the workforce as a data scientist. The work landscape is promising, Opportunities span multiple industries and also the nature of the work often allows for remote work flexibility and even self-employment.

Data science roles and responsibilities are varied and the skills needed for them vary significantly. Here, We've delineated the various data science roles in conjunction with the ability set, Technical information and mind-set required to hold it.

1. THE DATA SCIENTIST

A data scientist is perhaps one in all the most popular job titles that you simply can be placed on your card, And also the closer you get to geographic region, The more valuable this role becomes. He/she masters a full range of skills and abilities going from having the ability to handle the data, Analyzing that data with the assistance of statistical techniques, To share his/her insights with his peers in an exceedingly compelling way.

SKILLS REQUIRED TO BECOME A DATA SCIENTIST:

"Experience in programming languages like R, SAS, Python, MATLAB, SQL, Hive, Pig, Spark.

"Experience in distributed computing and predictive modeling.

"Good Experience in math, Statistics and machine learning.

2. DATA ANALYST

Data analysts are of tasks including visualization, And processing of massive amounts of information. They even have to perform queries on the databases from time to time. One in all the foremost important skills of an information anal
Posted by TheDefenestrator 4 weeks ago
TheDefenestrator
Guitarslinger did a good job but the whole pro side was very sad and weak. To keep it short it could have been executed better.
Posted by Bah2001 1 month ago
Bah2001
oo ee oo ahah oo ee walala bingbang
Posted by Turk082 2 months ago
Turk082
Yes, I agree with you.
Posted by BasharAlAssad 2 months ago
BasharAlAssad
Im happy GuitarSlinger won, This was a good debate
Posted by Turk082 2 months ago
Turk082
@Uernametm It could be that G-d is not involved in human affairs. Spinoza's G-d.
Posted by Usernametm 2 months ago
Usernametm
I agree with pro. For example, The coronavirus. If god does exist and is real, Why can't God stop this whole thing? If we need God to help us every time, What is the importance of humans?
Posted by Turk082 3 months ago
Turk082
I really do hate to say this to our atheist friends, But according to the smartest man in the world, Chris Langan, G-d exists. Like it or not, There are wise men who say that G-d exists.

Thus, Albert Einstein said: "I believe in Spinoza"s G-d who reveals Himself in the orderly harmony of what exists, Not in a G-d who concerns Himself with fates and actions of human beings. "
Posted by rwharrington87 3 months ago
rwharrington87
Additionally, The serpent eating it's own tail could also be considered a serpent continually birthing itself through it's own mouth.
Vote Placed by Anonymous 1 year ago
kylenielGuitarSlingerTied
Reasons for voting decision: Have to award con the points for debating. Con gets conduct as pro forfeited (understandably but still).
Vote Placed by Debaticus 1 year ago
Debaticus
kylenielGuitarSlingerTied
Reasons for voting decision: Litterally 1 word arguments from the instigator
Vote Placed by dinachen 1 year ago
dinachen
kylenielGuitarSlingerTied
Reasons for voting decision: I agree more with GuitarSlinger, cause it wouldn't make sense for the universe to just appear for no reason.
Vote Placed by eXclusua 1 year ago
eXclusua
kylenielGuitarSlingerTied
Reasons for voting decision: As a subject, I agree that God is not need for the existence of the universe. However, my votes were based upon who had better arguments and logical tangents of thoughts that supported an opposing point of view - this was definitely GuitarSlinger
Vote Placed by Juris 1 year ago
Juris
kylenielGuitarSlingerTied
Reasons for voting decision: I am an atheist but i judge objectively. PRO made absolutely no effort to argue. Con's arguments aren't convincing but at least he put an effort. A poor argument is better than no argument at all. I am not trying to insult anyone here though.
Vote Placed by andymcstab 1 year ago
andymcstab
kylenielGuitarSlingerTied
Reasons for voting decision: con made the better arguments.
Vote Placed by DebaterDracon 1 year ago
DebaterDracon
kylenielGuitarSlingerTied
Reasons for voting decision: Literally next to zero input from kyleniel. They provided points and then gave next to no effort in replying to the counter arguments provided by GuitarSlinger.