eyeamkilroy
Kobi_Kobiashi

God

eyeamkilroy has forfeited round #2.
Updated: 3 years ago Status: Debating Period

eyeamkilroy

Pro

i'm lance. i say i'm god and i just haven't fully realized it yet. so where you at bitch boy?
Kobi_Kobiashi

Con

Hi Lance,

I figured this would be a fun first debate as I'm new here.

You probably started this debate as a joke but I think there is some ironic insight into your statement. Buddhist philosophy and the idea of "enlightenment" suggests that you (and I) are God, we just haven't realized it yet. Realizing that you are God is enlightenment.

The problem arises when you try to lock down what you mean by "I". That's where things get tricky and can slip down the slope of solipsism and megalomania. Because you started by saying "I am Lance", I'm going to assume that by "I", you mean the individual personality - the memories, brain activity, preferences, and psychological traits that collectively make the story of you. If that assumption is correct, then I challenge your assertion that "you" are God.

Let's assume that God is infinite and timeless. Your personality (or your "story") is not infinite nor timeless. It has an end. When you die and your brain activity stops, "Lance" is no more. The memories are no more. YOU are no more. Lance becomes nothing more than a memory in the minds of those Lance leaves behind. So, Lance cannot be God because Lance will one day come to an end.

Let's assume that, if God is infinite and timeless, God doesn't change. After all, change requires time. Without time, there is no change. But "Lance" has changed a great deal since he was born. He has learned, he has grown, his personal preferences have evolved, and that change will continue until "Lance" dies. Since that personality that you identify as "Lance" changes over time, he can't be God. God is timeless, God doesn't change.

Now, if you were to become enlightened, in the Buddhist or Zen sense of the word, then that, too, would kill Lance. Your body would still exist. Your mind would still work but your identity would transform dramatically and the personality would dissolve. After enlightenment, the word "I" would have a very different meaning. I'm in no position to explain what that meaning would be... but based on the countless books I've read on this topic, you would no longer identify as a personality. You would identify as the consciousness that observes the personality. You would identify as as an instance of awareness that is shared among all living things.

If you were an enlightened being, I wouldn't attempt to argue with you if you claimed to be God. However, you're not an enlightened being. You're Lance - a personality. Therefore, you are not God. You are just a confused mish-mash of brain activity that can self-reflect, witnessed by an all-encompassing awareness we call "consciousness", just like the rest of us.
Posted by eyeamkilroy 3 years ago
eyeamkilroy
and one last thing...what if i'm telling the truth...
Posted by eyeamkilroy 3 years ago
eyeamkilroy
Posted by eyeamkilroy 3 years ago
eyeamkilroy
ps..tell me you're god and i'll be fine with that...i just want someone to start this show anyway...i'm not the headlines type. care to be my frontman? appreciation goes a long way in a vacuum...
Posted by eyeamkilroy 3 years ago
eyeamkilroy
and not accepting the wager is the same thing as simply admitting defeat...but i'm still trying to get "people" to "understand" the difference between, if it makes you feel good and doesn't hurt others, do it, if it hurts you or you hurt others, don't. -- i n --- the beginning, sir, "i" was with "n"...if you read past that, all you did was get confused by however many "other" folks like you ti appears also wanted to add "their" idea of who i am and put "their" constraints on something they have no ability to understand. my point is, God is the "self" of each of us and as all things are related, between the tree and it's roots is the link i'm offering as i am alive and i know not what else to do in a world of "i believe...but i just don't believe you" attitudes. how about i just forfeit and save both of ourselves from some still-incubating plan i have churning to get to the heart of the "matter". respectfully, lance coleman
Posted by eyeamkilroy 3 years ago
eyeamkilroy
just pretend i'm a mirror and you're simply saying whatever you're saying to you. what i've done for you isn't as easy as you so confidently must absolutely KNOW about me...or god. so unless you're god, you're not in my game...but i'll try to remember you fondly as i am suffering from the most incomprehensible amnesia i could imagine in the split amount of non-time it took to get to this point in the evolution of everything to talk to you. not another person on the face of this earth, in the entire universe, in all of existence and time unknown, but you. personally, even if i were just another half-cocked nut-case saying "i'm god, i'm god", it never hurts to listen to yourself. ps...i'll wager my soul vs yours that i'm right ;)
Posted by eyeamkilroy 3 years ago
eyeamkilroy
ahem...what do you not understand about "i'm god"...not you, thus your words mean almost the same as nothing, but not quite as i at least was able to conjure something positive from that. but i say, hey, your religion, you pick your god and however you want that to be...maybe i'm just not good enough to redeem a soul such as yours. i do, however, appreciate your debate. thank you.
Posted by Considerthefollowing 3 years ago
Considerthefollowing
Sorry, dude if god is timeless, and the universe isn't, then god didnt create the unviverse, and that is something that all religions think: god created us.
Posted by eyeamkilroy 3 years ago
eyeamkilroy
...and i'm only as crazy as was necessary to save everyone's butts from good ole' mother lol ... but hey, with free will comes free choice and thus your vast opportunity at being too slow of a skeptic ... -lc :)
Posted by eyeamkilroy 3 years ago
eyeamkilroy
you want a good walkie talkier do you want results? when hell is the bet, i'm all in...and i've never sinned...not the f'n letter i either...lance derek coleman has never sinned. not even "god" would say that about himself, don't trust me...i know how to count to 1.