seanlconway
bobdefrog

Gun Control Should Be Introduced In America

bobdefrog has forfeited round #2.
Updated: 3 years ago Status: Debating Period

seanlconway

Pro

Laws of Debate:

Round 1 will be stating your 3 main arguments, and why you support your position in the debate.

Round 2-4 will be backing up your argument with evidence and countering your opponent's arguments.

Gun Control defines regulation of the selling, owning, and use of guns according to the Merriam-Webster Dictionary.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Now for my three points regarding gun control

Firstly, research has proven that more guns in a country are the main cause of more deaths therefor proving that laws targeting firearm restriction would lead to many fewer deaths.

Secondly, the NRA (National Rifles Association) and the Republican Government know what they're doing is not right, so they need to keep money involved to make everyone happy.

Lastly, Guns are used for protection, but we wouldn't need them nearly as much for protection if there were no guns to threaten people in the first place.

Thanks for listening to my argument.
Since this is a serious topic I hope that whoever takes this argument is mature and respectful enough to handle this especially after the recent massacre.
bobdefrog

Con

Right, so first off I'm not really sure what the exact argument is. Many people nowadays, (given recent events), say that a simple "assault weapons" ban is all we need to stop shootings. While I disagree that gun control has proven to decrease the amount of homicides, I think that a blanket gun ban makes a better argument than simply an "assault rifle" ban. If you would like to state your opinion on this, just so i know exactly what the "Gun control" we are introducing to America, is. Commonly, leftists will say that they understand the second amendment and right to bear arms, but claim it is unnecessary for someone to have assault rifles. Anyways, I wont get into assault rifles until you state your exact intentions. Now onto my points.

1. Guns are what this country was founded on, and to completely ignore the founding principals and the men who gave their lives for that right is not appealing to me.

2. Guns are used for protection all the time, and save many lives per year. Taking these away could possibly endanger citizens, and we may see an increase in robberies, rape, and murder.

3. The logistics. Think about a ban in america. If we are talking a full- confiscation, that is impossible. There are around 300,000,000 guns in the country,and many owners would not be ok with having them taken away. There would be essentially a civil war. And if you are talking a buy-back like in Australia, then I don't think that the majority of gun owners would sell, especially if they didn't in Australia.

Thanks for reading, and if you could just state the question and the exact intentions, that would help me a lot.
seanlconway

Pro

Sorry for the misunderstanding. When I defined gun control I said laws and regulations regarding guns which don't necessarily mean a ban on any type of gun it just means more laws regarding guns.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Firstly, Unsurprisingly America has more guns than any country in the world. A staggering 89 guns for every 100 people. This is far more then doubling the second leading country in this area. The USA also has the most gun homicides (A staggering 22 more per million then the second leading country in the world) and also the most deaths because of guns in general. This data was all collected by the United Nations. There has been research conducted by Leah Libresco that shows that these two things are directly related. Another smart group of individuals, who also found that these two things were connected are the Harvard School of Public Health"s Injury Control Research Center. The Boston University School of Public Health found similar findings showing that a 1 percent increase in guns was most likely to create a 0.9 percent increase in firearm homicide rate at the state level. In all these findings the variables were controlled and the research was performed by experts. All this data proves that America's easy access to guns and quantity of guns leads to more violence. Having so many guns makes it incredibly easy for criminals and felons to access. To fix this problem America would have a limit on the number of guns made and imported into America. We could also have stricter laws on who could have guns. An example of a few is making background checks mandatory so that there would be less of a need for guns in America. We could also make an age restriction on guns. Don't you think its a bit weird how kids aren't allowed to drink until their 21 but they're allowed to have a weapon that kills humans?

Thank you for reading my argument and I hope you consider it deeply.
https://www.vox.com...
Posted by ShockWave123456789 3 years ago
ShockWave123456789
I say that you should ban idiots, not the guns that the idiots acquired.
Posted by Heavk 3 years ago
Heavk
The people who want to commit crimes with guns will find guns, there is always a black market. The only people who are really hurt in a ban are the law abiding citizens. Assault rifles are the best weapon to use in home defense, easy to use, little kick, and a small amount of penetration regarding what ammo you use. Penetration is important because you don't want your bullets to go through the walls possibly hitting a family member. However with recent shooting it usually the same story, there were warning signs, the person wasn't mentally stable etc. they were permitted to get a gun when they shouldn't have.