disaster2002
asta

Gun control

disaster2002 has forfeited round #3.
Updated: 3 years ago Status: Debating Period

disaster2002

Pro

Why does American society view killing machines as a form of self-defence and protection when it clearly is not helping keep anyone safe, the amount of gun-related deaths and injuries just this year is 27,772, only 865 of those were self-defensive related (probably not self-defence though) and 1630 were related to people aged 17 and under (injuries and death) and 148 mass shootings this year alone, that is insane. Putting the value of a tool used to kill above the life of a human is retarded,
If you think I made these statistics up check them on the website
http://www.gunviolencearchive.org...
If you want a gun you have to have a good reason (self-defense not included) such as you are military, law enforcement or agricultural purposes.
asta

Con

Great Britain banned guns. Northern Ireland did not.

Who has the higher death count? Great Britain.

Bermuda banned guns, the US did not.

Bermuda has a homicide rate over twice as high.

(https://en.wikipedia.org...).

Guns should be legal and the stats show they tend to reduce homicide rates. They also reduce rape since a woman can use a gun to protect herself from rapists. Femenists should therefore support guns if they are ideologically consistent.
disaster2002

Pro

Well, how about if you have a gun and little kids, they don't know if a gun is dangerous or not they can pick it up and shoot themselves or you just by accident.
Someone comes up behind a girl trying to tell her she dropped her wallet, the girl thinks its a rapist, 'bang' an innocent man just died because a women thought it was a rapist.
Because lots of women say they get sexually harassed (stares) and women sometimes make false rape accusations
It doesn't reduce rape just increases the number of women shooting people, good or bad people.
Guns don't reduce crime, they increase the number of injuries and deaths and the argument that guns don't kill people, people kill people is wrong to try telling that to the victims of school shootings, "no it wasn't the gun that did that to your school peers it was just that man' is not good enough argument.
Also, guns make it easier for people to commit suicide, they have a gun and they are depressed, they aren't thinking and 'bang' they're dead.
asta

Con

“Well, how about if you have a gun and little kids, they don't know if a gun is dangerous or not they can pick it up and shoot themselves or you just by accident.” This is ridiculous. If you have a gun, you keep it on yourself at all times to prevent kids from taking it.

“Someone comes up behind a girl trying to tell her she dropped her wallet, the girl thinks its a rapist, 'bang' an innocent man just died because a woman thought it was a rapist.” If a woman think a guy is going to rape her, she could tell him to back away, with the gun pointed at him and this could steer the guy to not rape her.

“It doesn't reduce rape just increases the number of women shooting people, good or bad people.” No. It would allow more women to protect themselves from genuine rapists. People who have no interest in raping her would back away at gunpoint(this even applies to unarmed rapists). No one gets raped, and no one gets shot.

“they increase the number of injuries and deaths and the argument that guns don't kill people, people kill people is wrong to try telling that to the victims of school shootings” Saying that we should ban guns because they kill people is like saying we should ban hands because they punch people. It’s not the hand that punches, it’s the person that punches. It’s not the gun that kills someone, it’s the person that does it.

“Also, guns make it easier for people to commit suicide,” I don’t care if most people commit suicide because it’s their life, their choice. Nonetheless, just because you have a gun on you does not mean you will commit suicide. I have a totin chip, which means I’m allowed to carry a knife. I have felt pretty bad sometimes. Did I kill myself? No. Sad people with guns don’t kill themselves because no one kills themselves deliberately without considering it and even some suicials don’t kill themselves. If you eliminate guns, then they will find a more painful way to kill themselves, like choking for 10 minutes.

Posted by asta 3 years ago
asta
"The fact that you (asta) compared the UK's death rates to Northern Ireland's death rates is stupid because they have different population sizes." They have different populations yes, but I figured out the homicide rate, not the number of murders. Homicide rate factors out population differences. Given that Northern Ireland had a conflict, wouldn't this already increase the homicide rate?

"In the USA in 2013, there were 73,505 nonfatal firearm injuries (23.2 injuries per 100,000 U.S. citizens) and 33,636 deaths due to "injury by firearms"." An injury is not the same thing as a death. Moreover, where did you get 33,636 deaths from? The homicide rate within the US is around 4.1 per 100,000. This would be about 13,000 murders.

This can be reduced by arming everybody 21+ years old. (Although this doesn't exist yet), in order to reduce accidental shootings, I propose password protected guns to get developed where the gun only goes into firing mode if you type in a 3 digit password to reduce the chances of the gun from shooting accidentally.
Posted by rhia_noon 3 years ago
rhia_noon
My keyboard is not working properly, and i have made some spelling mistakes, but try to ignore those and take in the points I have made.
Posted by rhia_noon 3 years ago
rhia_noon
The fact that you (asta) compared the UK's death rates to Northern Ireland's death rates is stupid because they hae different population sies. However, if you want to disregard that crucial facator, may I inform you that compared to the USA, homocide from gun crime in Northern Ireland is so much lower. In the USA in 2013, there were 73,505 nonfatal firearm injuries (23.2 injuries per 100,000 U.S. citizens) and 33,636 deaths due to "injury by firearms".

Moreover on this Northern Ireland issue, the Irish Civil War involved many volunteer groups in Ireland, which were able to access guns and use them, the IRA with these groups over the course of this war, killed around 2000.

Don't make points if you haven't done your research into the properly, because it makes you seem like an idiot.
Posted by disaster2002 3 years ago
disaster2002
Even so reducing the ways in which they can do that is better than doing nothing.
Posted by Masterful 3 years ago
Masterful
I don't think guns are the problem, it's the people who are using them that's the problem. They will kill with or without legal guns.
Posted by disaster2002 3 years ago
disaster2002
I am against people having guns without good reason, I don't give a crap what type of gun it is without good reason you don't really need a gun
Posted by asta 3 years ago
asta
Are you anti gun or just anti assault weapon?