JEDBartlet
Nicholaspanda

Guns to Teachers

Nicholaspanda has forfeited round #2.
Updated: 3 years ago Status: Debating Period

JEDBartlet

Con

As our president has suggested, and congress passed, a conclusion was being reached after the Florida Mass Shooting a couple weeks ago. Now, I don't agree with this in that, A good guy with a gun won't work, the bonus for the teacher won't be effective, and the responsibility of a teacher keeping a gun is ludicrous.
Nicholaspanda

Pro

I want to thank my friend for bringing up such an important and interesting debate! This has been a tricky issue as some people feel it contradicts their morals and values. Nevertheless, I"ll be defending the view that teachers are able to have/carry guns with them for protection during class. Please note, I"m currently typing this from my phone because I"m in Lubbock, Tx for a robotics competition. If you have any questions please post them in the comments and I"ll respond ASAP.

Rebuttal

I"m going to make this quite short and simple: where is the evidence that supports your claims? You give your opinion sure, but anybody with a second in debate knows that"s not going to fly. There whole case is subject to scrutiny until evidence is provided.

Opening claims

Some school districts have been allowing staff (teachers) to carry weapons with them for self defense and for protection for years. [1] This especially applies to Texas school districts; for instance, districts in Dallas and LISD have started to allow school officials to carry weapons. Students have reported that they "feel safer" in school and during class teachings. Theres a new program called "gurdian", where teachers can get training to handle weapons such as pistols. One superintendent reported saying, "We'll do whatever's necessary to protect our kids and staff." [2]

1. https://www.google.com...
2. Ibid
JEDBartlet

Con

The reason I gave only my opinion, is because debate.org is not like a live face to face debate. I'll try something different next time, but I used that as a bit of an introduction. This is my first round in Debate.org, but not my first round in debate. Anyway,

Response- A good guy with a gun won't work, because how hard is it for the police to tell the difference? A shooter in these school shooting situations will most likely be wearing clothes similar to the civilians in the area, the shooter in Florida wore his school shirt. The police in the area will be looking for a person in the building with a gun. They can't just ask kindly if someone's the shooter, or if they're a good guy with a gun, because you can't give the shooter another chance.

The bonus for the teacher won't be effective, because of the hike in insurance rates. If these people volunteer for their children, yes, they should have compensation. But how are insurance providers going to respond to that? Their customer has become a bigger target to a possible shooter, and as I've mentioned in the last argument, friendly fire by the police.

And lastly, how much more responsibility should we give our teachers? They have to keep track of (Depending on the school) 20-30 kids. And now, they have to keep and use weapons. They have to keep the gun locked up, and even if it's locked up in a case, there's still a chance that someone could steal that gun. That case will be more of a liability than a help, because in a shooter situation, getting the gun out of the case and getting it ready will take a while. The Florida Shooting lasted about 6-7 minutes. And even if it's a concealed carry, it's even easier to obtain the weapon.

References-
https://www.nytimes.com...
https://youtu.be... (A crude representation, but the best I could find.)
Posted by JEDBartlet 3 years ago
JEDBartlet
Sorry to Nartnod7875, and BiasedHuman, couldn't get the comments to work until now.
Posted by Nartnod7875 3 years ago
Nartnod7875
Im still deciding on whether or not i should debate your topic. What makes you think giving teachers and good people firearms ludicrous?
Posted by DeletedUser 3 years ago
DeletedUser
I'd like to take this debate but whew at least give armed guards a chance before arming the teachers.