Alec2004
Arganger

Guns

Arganger

Alec2004

Pro

Guns have been repeatedly shown to protect more people then they harm.
Arganger

Con

Guns have only one reason to exist: To kill.
Even in protection, they are meant to kill. Is it worth a person's life, just to prevent a petty crime? Most criminals have their whole life in front of them, and can change.

Other protection exists in life, for example pepper spray. Though it may be less effective in some situations, it is still safe. Having very little risk to long term accidental harm.

Childhood accidents due to guns are a real problem. Nearly 1,300 children die due to guns a year.

Also, having guns means we also have a culture of violence. Should we not work on non violent solutions to problems, just as well tell our children to do?

http://www.abc.net.au...

http://pediatrics.aappublications.org...
Alec2004

Pro

Here is a what if for you. What if I was a 18 year old girl and someone tried to come in my home and rape me. I wouldn't have time to call the cops or even wait for them to get there. I would do anything in my power to stop him. Even if it meant taking a life.
Arganger

Con

You have shown no need for it to be a gun you use to protect yourself.
In my house we have nunchucks. But if not, as most people, you can kill someone with a kitchen knife. And a gun can be used against you, easy. They just have to get to it first. If you had it locked up, you are likely to not be able to get to it in time.

How about my own what if?
What if someone forgets to lock their gun cabinet and their young child finds the gun, and accidentally shoots himself with it?

Over 7,000 children get rushed to the ER every year because of guns.

Posted by BiasedHuman 2 years ago
BiasedHuman
i am pretty sure most self defense shootings are 1% anyways also accidental deaths with guns could be prevented with better gun education.
Posted by Arganger 2 years ago
Arganger
@Alec2004
@DrAnomaly

You two realized I argued against what I agree with, right? Everything I mentioned I have a rebuttal for.
Here I argue closer to what I think:
http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...
Posted by Alec2004 2 years ago
Alec2004
I agree with you the gun should be locked up and away from children. But it should also me within reach so that you can access it very easily. 100 people are killed from so called "assault rifles" 300 ate struck by lightning. If you teach your children fire arm safety then they wont shoot themselves or others.
Posted by DrAnomaly 2 years ago
DrAnomaly
"Guns have only one reason to exist: To kill." - This is a fallacy of irrelevance. Genetic fallacy, or fallacy of origins.
Posted by Arganger 2 years ago
Arganger
I'll take this, as a chance to argue the side I disagree with.
Vote Placed by passwordstipulationssuck 2 years ago
passwordstipulationssuck
Alec2004ArgangerTied
Reasons for voting decision: Convincing arguments goes to con because pro did not refute any of cons points. sources go to con because con provided sources while pro did not.