Attention: Debate.org is closing and the website will be shut down on June 5, 2022. New Topics can no longer be posted and Sign Up has been disabled. Existing Topics will still function as usual until the website is taken offline. Members can download their content by using the Download Data button in My Account.
cpharris21
ShadowWolf692

Happy holidays vs Marry Christmas

cpharris21

Con

I said, "Thank you, Happy holidays, " yesterday to a lady that held the door for me at the post office while i carried out some packages. Her reply, "We say MERRY CHRISTMAS around here! . " She also mummble something I could not hear as I walked away. I say happy holidays because I don't know, Or care, What people celbrate during the holiday season. I would not expect a Jewish person to say Merry Christmas, Or any other religion. You also done hear Jewish people say "Happy Hanukah" to strangers. So the arguement is, Why say Merry Christmas instead of happy holidays to people you don't know. Why do christians argue the merry Christmas is right, When other religions don't for the holidays?
ShadowWolf692

Pro

Damn that sucks man, In my area we say happy holidays until it's almost christmas.
cpharris21

Con

Her response was just different. I do live in the bible belt though. I say happy holidays to everyone just because I want to be respectful of people who might believe different. Mostly because I travel a lot and meet people from all over the world. When someone says any festive greeting to me, My response has always been to smile and say, "To you and your family also. "

Just posted here to see what others thought about it.
ShadowWolf692

Pro

ya i get it, Its good to be respectful, And it sucks that that lady had to give some lip
cpharris21

Con

cpharris21 forfeited this round.
ShadowWolf692

Pro

ShadowWolf692 forfeited this round.
Posted by PointProven 3 years ago
PointProven
I've never had that happen to me. Usually if i say "happy holidays", No one corrects me like "you mean merry christmas". That would kinda piss me off I suppose.
Posted by cpharris21 3 years ago
cpharris21
Pointproven,

I agree, But have you ever had anyone snap back at you because of what you said? I'm not upset or angry, Though i thought it was weird, So i brought it up here to mostly to see what others say about it.
Posted by PointProven 3 years ago
PointProven
I get where you're going with this, And I agree with you because you're heart is in the right place, But it seems like something rather insignificant to be upset about. I personally am an atheist, So christmas to me isn't about christ or any of that hocus pocus nonsense, It's more about being with family and just having a good time.

It's like when someone says "god bless you", Sure I think they're a dumbass, But it would be stupid to get offended about. Same as someone saying "Merry Christmas" when you don't celebrate christmas.

90 percent of people celebrate christmas in the US, So when someone says "Merry christmas", That's probably why.