Lookingatissues
sp_550

Has an Anti gun opportunist just jumped on the Band wagon

sp_550 has forfeited round #2.
Updated: 3 years ago Status: Debating Period

Lookingatissues

Pro

David hog apparently is like all opportunists, is taking full advantage of the tragic mass shootings at the high school which he attended to advance himself. While the shooting of young students attending the high school where he also was a student might be a much more personal experience for David Hog it doesn't mean that others don't feel equally as horrified and aggrieved by the needless deaths of those young students.
However, this young man, it appears, has taken this tragic event that occurred at his high school and is using it for his personal advantage. One is reminded of what progressive democrat ,Rhom Emanual, once said about a serious event, he said," Never let a serious crisis go to waste." Rhom Emanual then explained, "WHAT I MEAN BY THAT, ITS AN OPPORTUNITY TO DO SOME THINGS THAT YOU COULDN'T DO BEFORE."
This young Want a-be, must have taken the message of Rhom Emanual to heart and has jumped onto the stage of the nations affairs in an effort to self-promote himself.
Edmund Burke i believe, sized it up quite poignantly when he said, "It is a general popular error to imagine the loudest complainers for the public to be the most anxious for its welfare."
David Hog, like...
" The fly...Who... sat upon the axel-tree of the chariot-wheel and said, What a dust do I raise! Will david Hog soon Just disappear from the lime light of public view like those opportunists before him.
quote from:
Read more at http://quotationsbook.com...
sp_550

Con

Firstly, you appear to have the mentality that since David Hogg had been hurt by the shooting at Parkland, that he will try to use it to boost his popularity, when in reality that is not what he wants. He's not pushing for popularity or power for himself - he wants to make sure that some laws are changed so that the people are safe. Then, he'll quiet down and be remembered as a hero by the school.
Secondly, you give absolutely no context as to what you mean by Rahm's quote. When Rahm said, "and what I mean by that it's to do things you think you could not do before," it can be taken in many different ways. However, you simply take the quote and say that David Hogg is like that. That he's a wannabe.
I believe you're taking Rahm's quote in terms of what it would mean to consolidate power. Your entire argument seems to be that David Hogg is merely doing what he's doing in order to gain more popularity or power, as I already mentioned earlier. What I believe you mean by that quote is that Hogg could do what he wants because he's a victim- that he could jump on a bandwagon for change and be regarded as a national hero, and then do what? I don't know, you don't really mention anything he might try to do.
However, that is not the only way that quote could be interpreted. The way I see that quote when I read it is that when there is a crisis, there is a moment of bravery and courage and that that bravery allows someone to do something that they could not do before. We see this idea all the time in film - the hero/heroine begins their character arc not being able to do much, but when conflict arises and they confront it, they realize they could do much more than what they had believed.
This is the case with Hogg, and with the other students from Parkland as well - they showed us the gun crisis that has been ravaging the U.S. for years now in a different way than those from other shootings, like Sandy Hook or Columbine. When those shootings happened, there were those weeks of "thoughts and prayers" and then silence from the victims. What did that mean? That they were not willing to do anything about it in fear.
Hogg, as well as the other students like Emma Gonzalez, took the crisis and chose not to be silent to get the people going. I attended the March in D.C. last Saturday, and what they said at the march refutes your whole point-
Let's say David Hogg DOES want to be more popular. Everyone wants that of course. But what would he do in a time of crisis in order to bring the light onto him? Well, he would do things UNRELATED to the other students! He would be the one to arrange the marches and to be the one speaking for a long long time. But no. That's not the case. Hogg was on stage for less than five minutes at the march. And not just that- he wasn't the most popular part of the march- that would go to either Emma Gonzalez or that unexpected appearance by MLK's granddaughter.
David Hogg isn't trying to get himself up on a pedestal, either- he's not trying to run for office or make his own political party, or anything of that sort. The entire point of the march was not to make the students be more popular! It was to sway the view of the voter towards the movement so they vote out the people currently in office this coming November! That's the reason the entire slogan for said march was "vote them out", and not "David Hogg". Similarly, his speech at the march was not about him, but rather he spurs on the movement saying that the politicians in Congress and the Senate "are shaking" and that with enough support they may change the gun laws.
So to end this beginning argument, I do not think that David Hogg, as you claimed earlier, is "jumping on the bandwagon" in this time of crisis to become more powerful. Instead, he takes the crisis and, along with several other students, parents, and politicians, works to create a movement that sparks a new form of justice for those that are silent. To answer your question, "Has an Anti gun opportunist just jumped on the Band wagon", no. David Hogg did not jump on the band-wagon. He helped create the movement, and how can someone jump on a bandwagon for something that they began themselves?

David Hogg's speech: https://www.nbcnews.com...
Lookingatissues

Pro

( A ) You posted, "Firstly, you appear to have the mentality that since David Hogg had been hurt by the shooting at Parkland,..."
( A ) I neither said nor implied that he had personally suffered any personal injuries.
I said," While the shooting of young students attending the high school where he also was a student might be a much (more personal experience) for David Hog it doesn't mean that others don't feel equally as horrified...."
( B ) YOU Posted," ".....That he will try to use it to boost his popularity, when in reality that is not what he wants. He's not pushing for popularity or power for himself - he wants to make sure that some laws are changed so that the people are safe.
( B ) Oh, if all mankind were only blessed with the same clairvoyance that you alone, seem to be in possession of , I stand in awe of your special gift. To be able to judge the motivations of David Hog correctly when lesser humans might easily misjudge them.
( C )You Replied,"....Secondly, you give absolutely no context as to what you mean by Rahm's quote. When Rahm said, "and what I mean by that it's to do things you think you could not do before," it can be taken in many different ways. However, you simply take the quote and say that David Hogg is like that. That he's a wannabe.
I believe you're taking Rahm's quote in terms of what it would mean to consolidate power. Your entire argument seems to be that David Hogg is merely doing what he's doing in order to gain more popularity or power, ...."
as I already mentioned earlier. What I believe you mean by that quote is that Hogg could do what he wants because he's a victim- that he could jump on a bandwagon for change and be regarded as a national hero, and then do what? I don't know, you don't really mention anything he might try to do."
( C ) sowtheseedsofliberty response,
Rahm' Emanual's Quote," ,"Never let a serious chrisis go to waste." Rhom then explained, "WHAT I MEAN BY THAT, ITS AN OPPORTUNITY TO DO SOME THINGS THAT YOU COULDN'T DO BEFORE."Rohm Emanual's statement,"never let a chrisis go to waste," could have came straight out of Saul D. Alinsky's book, "RULES FOR RADICALS," which could also be considered a manual for Community Organizers, much like Barack Obama once was, to organize community protests.
David Hog has gotten out in front of a popular Anti-Gun movement as community organizers are want to do and just as is is instructed in "Rules for Radicals," chapter titled," In THE BEGINNING.,
Saul D. Alinsky Instructs the organizer," In the beginning the incoming... anti- gun, in this case,...organizer must establish his Identity or, putting it another way, get his license to operate. He must have a reason for being there - a reason acceptable to the people."
David Hog, much like the German tale about the "The Pied Piper of Hamelin German, is leading the little children on a venture in which they, the unsophisticated participants, are easily led by another of their own generation.
Quote above about "The "Pied Piper of Hamelin," wikipedia.org

"The "Pied Piper of Hamelin," wikipedia.org
The Pied Piper of Hamelin German Rattenf nger von Hameln also known as the Pan Piper the Rat Catcher of Hamelin is the title character of a legend from the town of Hamelin Hameln Lower Saxony Germany"
Pied Piper of Hamelin - Wikipedia
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pied_Piper_of_Hamelin
Posted by jtlove 3 years ago
jtlove
I would say CNN started a movement my exploiting teen victims...

Here's a link to Rahm Emanuel

https://l.facebook.com...