Zombieguy835
SMendel

Has humanity gone backwards?

Zombieguy835 has forfeited round #3.
Updated: 3 years ago Status: Debating Period

Zombieguy835

Pro

I will be arguing why humanity has gone backwards lately.

This round is acceptance only
SMendel

Con

Hi there! I'm really looking forward to the debate, but before we begin, could we clarify a few things?

1. What do you mean 'lately'? It would be helpful if you could specify a time period.
2. Once the time period is specified, I will understand your argument that 'humanity has gone backwards' to mean that 'the average citizen of the world's welfare has declined in the above period'.

Does that seem reasonable?

Thank you for starting such a fascinating and extremely topical debate!
Zombieguy835

Pro

When I mean lately I mean past 15 years, mainly though 2010 and beyond just to answer any confusion

Now, when I say backwards, I don't mean backwards as in technologically, HDI, quality of life, but I mean in common sense, politics and socially.
10+ years ago, criticizing a movie that had a female, or black lead etc, wasn't seen as a problem, but today?
Well..."""" Oceans 11 and Ghostbusters 2016 has shown how giving your opinion on a movie is now apparently "Sexist" and that the only reason you hated was because you hate women, racist, homophobic, you get where I'm going at here.

How about in politics? Well, the 2016 U.S election shows similar issues. Just because you may not like Hilary Clinton, or any Liberal candidate means you hate women, gays, other monitories and are a Nazi for supporting Trump, or other conservatives.

Now, what this have to do with humanity going backwards?
Well if this kind of nonsense happens, all the social progress that was made in the 60's 70's 80's etc, will be regressed, and as such, drive us backwards if this continues into future generations , simply because some people have different opinions, and is somehow hate speech
SMendel

Con

Hi there, thank you for clarifying.

The first problem with your argument is whether the changing political climate in the US constitutes 'humanity going backwards'. As you seem to agree, in 'in technologically, HDI, quality of life,' most things have improved over the past 15 years. The massive strides humanity has taken in reducing poverty far outweigh the 'common sense' issues you suggest.

To put it another way, if a home decorating TV show re-did your house and made everything better, except for a waterfall shower you disliked, it would be difficult for you to say, 'my home is worse, and by "worse", I mean, "everything is better except the shower"'. That is what it's like for you to say, 'humanity has gone backwards, and by "backwards", I mean, "I dislike the way politics is going in the US"'.

The second problem with your argument is that it contains a lot of assertions. For example, you write that '10+ years ago, criticizing a movie that had a female, or black lead etc, wasn't seen as a problem, but today?'. But here is Metacritic's lowest-rated movies of 2017: http://www.metacritic.com.... The movies contain black and female leads, and yet so far as I'm aware, none of the critics who lambasted them were called sexist or racist. If your assertion were true, surely these movies wouldn't have been so heavily criticised.

Again, you write that 'Just because you may not like Hilary Clinton, or any Liberal candidate means you hate women, gays, other monitories and are a Nazi'. Again, this is simply an assertion. I have seen nothing saying that people who don't like Hillary Clinton must be Nazis, and for your argument to hold, this would have to be the majority opinion. Can you show some statistics saying that the majority of Trump supporters are viewed by others as Nazis? You also assert that we are going backwards 'because some people have different opinions, and is somehow hate speech'. Can you give me a concrete example of where someone was prosecuted under a hate speech act simply for having a different opinion? Even if you showed a few examples, you would have to once again prove that the confusion of different opinions for hate speech is happening on a wide enough basis for it to justify your statement that 'humanity is going backwards'.

Given that you have made some strong assertions, the burden of proof is on you to back them up with facts. I have sympathy for the idea that people are drawing politically further apart. However, for you to argue convincingly you will have to:

1. Provide statistics that demonstrate that on a widespread basis, Trump supporters are viewed as Nazis, that disagreements are now termed hate speech, and that films with black or female actors cannot be criticised.

2. Apply this on a worldwide level in order to justify your side of what we're debating, which is after all that 'humanity is going backwards'.

Even if you were able to prove all of your assertions about the United States, then I cannot see how you could then apply them to the world population, of which US citizens are after all just a fraction.

I look forward to your response!
Posted by Im_Intelligent 3 years ago
Im_Intelligent
500 years ago i would have been burned on a steak for saying some of things i have said on this website, and if it wasent that i would have died of a disease such as polio, and if i was REALLY lucky i would have five children with three of them being dead before the age of ten while i would live to a ripe old age of forty five

So please do tell us again that humanity is going backwards.
Posted by SMendel 3 years ago
SMendel
Hi kwbc, you're absolutely right, although I'm somewhat surprised given your comment that you just took up the other side of my debate against moral relativism! Can one measure quality of life objectively and not goodness? Regardless, I look forward to debating with you over there. Best, Sam
Posted by kwbc 3 years ago
kwbc
He's wrong. Quality of life has increased globally, even in the war torn areas of countries or the bushes of Africa.
Posted by asta 3 years ago
asta
He's right.