Kolider
Shavo

Hate speech should not be illegal

Kolider

Pro

I think that we can all agree that hate speech is an awful thing. As defined by Merriam Webster, It is "speech expressing hatred of a particular group of people". Despite how disgusting it is I believe that anyone expressing such hate is perfectly within their rights to do so.

I'm going to be making the argument that Hate speech as defined by the dictionary falls under free speech and should not be outlawed. I am from the USA and I will be looking at free speech through the lens of the Constitution, Which guarantees complete freedom of speech to all people within the borders of the USA. I invite any and all arguments as to why hate speech should be banned.
Shavo

Con

Merriam Webster, As you have addressed does define hate speech as "speech expressing hatred of a particular group of people".
I accept the challenge (even though I don't believe what I'm doing) and will argue that hate speech should be banned. Not free speech.
The speech I talk on is the verbal act of hatred targeting a particular group.
Kolider

Pro

Kolider forfeited this round.
Shavo

Con

Since you decide not to attend the second round I will have to go on with the reasoning of my position.
Hate speech is not the same as free speech. Hate speech is a sub-category under free speech. Therefore, Banning hate speech doesn't necessarily mean complete restriction of free speech. Ask yourself, Does your ability to talk freely have to involve "expressing hatred of a particular group of people"? Is hating the only way we, As human beings, Can exercise our right of free speech?

Society will overall benefit from the banning of hate speech. Currently numerous riots and acts of violence emerge from hate speech. One group insults the other and the other insults right back. The evidence of uncontrollable cursing and improper acts can be seen in riots that involve groups like Antifa in which property is damaged in the process. Banning hate speech will cause less reason for conflict and a time period for authorities to manage things with care.

The reason why so many people disagree to "hate speech" is because of how society views it. There is a difference between disagreeing with what some people and expressing HATRED towards them. For example if I say "Black-Lives-Matter is currently doing an inefficient job for they are ignoring the violence and instability in their own culture. They are blaming others instead of dealing with the problem itself. "
That was not an example of hatred. I was simply highlighting my opinion and stating facts. That is not as harsh as "hatred" was it. It did not directly insult them with no purpose. If I were to say "F*** you, You black N*****s" then that is a completely valid example of hate speech. The limits of Hate speech has been stretched far beyond its boundaries up to a point where anything can be presented as hate speech.
When I say ban hate speech, I don't mean ban free speech, I don't mean ban microaggressions, I don't mean ban facts, Nor do I mean ban opinions. . . I call for a ban on direct verbal abuse on a particular group in a manner which expresses absolute insult.
Banning it will solve many problems. For the better of human society.

Please someone argue and win against me. . . I like hate speech :( PLEASE
Kolider

Pro

Kolider forfeited this round.
Shavo

Con

Shavo forfeited this round.
Kolider

Pro

Kolider forfeited this round.
Shavo

Con

Shavo forfeited this round.
Kolider

Pro

Kolider forfeited this round.
Shavo

Con

Hate speech definition:
https://www. Merriam-webster. Com/dictionary/hate%20speech

Antifa violent acts due to hate speech restrictions
https://www. Youtube. Com/watch? V=K8klHKVfL8Q

yeah, In conclusion I am depressed with myself for defending illegalization of hate speech
Posted by Shavo 3 years ago
Shavo
I'm gonna reply against because I don't wanna seem like a coward :) But tbh I would be on your side if I could :(

There are not the same thing. Hate speech is categorized under free speech. Illegalising hate speech won't mean the prohibition of free speech. It is just a type of free speech that is prohibited.
"Hate" is the act of feeling an intense dislikenment and as defined by Merriam Webster, It is the "expressing on a particular group". I'm pretty sure you can exercise your rights of free speech without EXPRESSING HATRED ON A PARTICULAR GROUP.
And remember, That doesn't stop you from projecting facts upon a particular group. For example I can say that "Black-Lives-Matter is currently doing an inefficient job for they are ignoring the violence and instability in their own culture. They are blaming others instead of dealing with the problem itself. "
I didn't express any hatred towards them. It was pure facts wasn't it? I was stating evidence. I wasn't hating on them. If i say something like "F*** you, Ya black N*****s" then I am distinctly expressing hate, Which is thoroughly wrong as you may have realized.
Expressing pure hatred towards each other is why America, For example, Has so many riots. Violence from Antifa for example is generally caused by extensive hate which builds up on each other. Illegalizing hate speech in which I have defined it (Expressing hate and not fact) wouldn't prevent the restriction on free speech to any extreme, And instead would solve a lot of problems such as riot violence and unwanted drama.

The problem you hear with hate speech nowadays is that people stretch the barriers of "hate speech". It's up to a point anything that makes someone merely uncomfortable is considered hate speech. Pure hate speech such as calling white men "Nazi's" a black man "N*****" or generalizing "women belong in the kitchen" should be illegal.
I'm genuinely begging, Break my point because I exercise "hate speech" a lot and prefer not banning it.
Posted by Press2ifyouhate1 3 years ago
Press2ifyouhate1
There is no difference between hate speech and free speech, Free speech allows the expression of everything thus including hate speech, To illegalize hate speech is to destroy free speech.
Posted by Block19 3 years ago
Block19
Vi, That is utter nonsense.
Posted by Shavo 3 years ago
Shavo
I'm so screwed for this debate. I don't even believe my arguments :(( Can I back off or is it too late?
Posted by DeletedUser 3 years ago
DeletedUser
No its 2 words kid
Posted by Block19 3 years ago
Block19
Vi, Nonsense is one word.
Posted by Block19 3 years ago
Block19
Hate speech is not illegal and the Supreme Court has ruled that it is protected by the 1st amendment.
Posted by DeletedUser 3 years ago
DeletedUser
As if people can't deserve your hate. . Fuckingg garbage non sense
Posted by DeletedUser 3 years ago
DeletedUser
Or a society
Posted by DeletedUser 3 years ago
DeletedUser
Yes, We need hate, Just as we need love. . Stupid peoples anger shouldn't ever dominate the world