kevinh21110837
stormsasuke180

High Schoolers Should Start Studying SAT/ACT Freshmen year

kevinh21110837 has forfeited round #3.
Updated: 3 years ago Status: Debating Period

kevinh21110837

Pro

AHHH The Standardized college entrance exams... The one thing that even the smartest people worry about. The one thing that could heavily influence your chances of getting into your dream university. My parents told me to start studying for the SAT in 7TH GRADE! Can you believe it!? What kind of absurd people would do that? Well I am here to tell you that it is not ludicrous. Studying for the SAT earlier is actually beneficial. I however, do not advise to study more than 2 hours on weekdays... Why do I believe that it is beneficial to start freshmen year or before freshmen year you may ask, and I am going to answer it with 1 word: TIME. Think about it, how much time did you waste doing nothing or playing repetitive video games when you were younger? I am too, guilty of that. What better use of that time than to influence your future? Yes, yes, I know, you can learn others things too but that is already expected from you. Most high schoolers say "You don't need to start studying until the end of Sophomore year." But it is simply just procrastinating for the eventual need to study. If you began studying early, the need to spend more time in the future is removed. Especially starting Sophomore or Junior year, you are probably already taking 3-5 AP classes and the homework load is just INSANE! How are you going to find time to do all that homework, study for the SAT/ACT during the weekend or even weekdays and do extracurriculars? The answer is: ALMOST IMPOSSIBLE. You simply can't balance everything out without over stressing yourself. So in conclusion, if you start studying for the college entrance exams earlier, you will have an advantage over your peers on the exam, have more time to relax (or sleep XD) during your sophomore and junior year, and maintain more extracurricular activities; which should improve your chances of getting into your dream college.
stormsasuke180

Con

Although I do agree with you that time is important when studying, I do believe that there is such a thing as studying something for too much. You can make an argument that people shouldn't waste their time by "doing nothing or playing repetitive video games" and I agree. However, I don't believe that this time should be studying for the SAT. That time should be spent on activities they enjoy.
Furthermore, studying during freshman year would actually be counter productive. Have you ever studied for an entire semester or year and forget most of the material near the end? The same would probably happen during freshman year. Then you have 2 summers which I can't see anyone retaining the material.
A lot of the SAT material also goes over things you learn from Freshman/Sophomore classes such as Algebra1/2 and Geometry. Might as well learn them in class first and then start studying for the SAT to make things easier.
If you study early, you are going you have to relearn the material all over again. That is why it would make sense to start at the end of sophomore year/beginning of junior year.
kevinh21110837

Pro

Yes, indeed I have studied something for an entire year and forgotten about it, but you can easily relearn it by simply reviewing your notes. Once you learn the concept (not memorize some formula), it will be stored in your passive memory which can be easily retrieved through renewing your neural pathways (studying). Furthermore, although some people do take Algebra 2 or Geometry during sophomore year, a lot of people take Algebra 2 as a freshmen and Precalculus as juniors. From what I know, the SAT only covers Geometry, Algebra 2, and a little bit of Precalculus. If you begin to start studying for the SAT and get familiar with how the questions are presented to you, you will be at an advantage over your peers. To be honest, relearning the material all over again will help solidify knowledge into your head (remove any doubts you may encounter during the exam) and to my knowledge, many schools do allow students to skip classes over the summer in order to take more difficult classes during the year so one might not need to relearn the material (a lot of the material in higher classes simply build on top of what you learned so in some sense, it's also relearning).
stormsasuke180

Con

"Once you learn the concept (not memorize some formula), it will be stored in your passive memory which can be easily retrieved through renewing your neural pathways". I agree with this. This is why you should learn the material in your freshman and sophomore classes in your normal classes. Then you can refresh your memory on the information as you already learned them. "To be honest, relearning the material all over again will help solidify knowledge into your head" This does make sense but it would be better to learn the material in normal classes first and then relearn the material when preparing for the SAT at the end of sophomore year.
Posted by stormsasuke180 3 years ago
stormsasuke180
It sucks when you need 3 debates to vote but no one ever completes them.