s.simonb
dinachen

Homework Should be Banned (Final)

dinachen

s.simonb

Pro

Even though that some adults (including my parents) think that homework is needed for more practice and college preparation, I think that homework should be banned because children can spend more time with family, Be less stressed out, And have more time to explore other interests. I see children cry, I see children complain, I see parents and/or teachers yell, And I see everyone cranky, Tired, Upset, Grumpy, And all those words that means unhappy. What causes this negativity you ask? The answer is HOMEWORK!
Children can spend more time with family if they did not have homework at night. For example, The family could go places, Ride bikes, And explore nature. "Banning homework effectively allows children to spend whatever little time they have before bed talking with their parents about their day in school and other topics. " (http://greengarageblog. Org/5-homework-should-be-banned-pros-and-cons)
When it comes to family vacation time, Me and my family feel a lot closer together. If I have a ton of homework, I would spend less time bonding with my family. Homework causes stress because sometimes it takes you a long time to finish. Homework also causes lack of sleep meaning that you will stay up late at night working on homework and getting less sleep. Then the next day you can be tired and grumpy and you fall asleep in class. You could get in trouble by your teacher if you fall asleep in class. You can also be too tired to participate in school activities and class then you may get very bad grades. "Homework causes stress in many students. Homework takes time, And it keeps students up late at night getting the work done. The loss of sleep makes it hard to concentrate during class because students are so tired. I once stayed up until midnight and wound up very tired when morning arrived. It was hard to focus on my lessons. As a student, I think sleep is more important than doing homework. Students study during the day at schools and academies, So there is no reason that we have to get homework. Many schools have a one-hour rule, But with multiple classes and each teacher assigning one hour of homework, You end up with hours of work to do at home. Students in advanced levels get even more work than the students in basic classes. "
(http://www. Debate. Org/opinions/should-homework-be-banned)
If you have too much homework you do not have enough time for hobbies or other interests like, Playing sports or art classes. Having other interests are pretty important. Why? Because, If you have an interest, Like pottery for example, And you want to have that job when you grow up, You can get an after school class there and when you grow up, You got the job. Even many teachers believe that homework should be banned because it"s a positive thing. Just think about it. If your child has 3 or 6 homework assignments, Then your child not only would they not get to spend time with their families, But will not have time to be a kid. Is it normal not to be a kid anymore?
dinachen

Con

I don't think homework should be banned, Because homework is supposed to reinforce what you learned. Plus for higher level classes, Their's more homework since they tend to make you learn by yourself. But that prepares you for college and life outside of school. Also kids are less likely to graduate high school without those cushy homework assignments to boost their grade.
s.simonb

Pro

Oh "reinforce what you learned". Do you actually think I give a baboon's red, Ugly carne asada for the term "reinforce what you learned"? Homework is THE most stressful event children has ever experienced. Plus, Not getting the whole prepares children for college and life outside of school vibe here. I don't even want homework OR go to college. And even if I do have homework, I only do it at school. All I see in homework is nothing but stress, Complaints, Parental conflicts, Doing things against their will, Willy nilly, I'm trying to help kids by banning homework. Because, I hate to see children go through more adult stuff rather than kids stuff. So, They can either decrease homework to one easy homework or don't give homework at all. My parents always tell me that I don't have a choice. Like: "Hey, You're doing homework. You don't get a choice. Let's go". So, Yeah. I hate homework, I want it done, Finished, Kaput, Etc, And if you think that homework makes kids healthier, Then you're crazy. Why? Because, It gives children lack of sleep. Hence they fail, Hence they don't have time to be a kid, Hence they will be cranky all the time, And hence the reason why I rebel against homework. Knowing that, You still don't want it to be banned?
dinachen

Con

I know learning might not be important to everybody, But in order for students to learn and retain what they learned homework is a necessity. I know not everybody wants to go to college, But without homework, Students won't be prepared for what's to come to college. So yes, Homework is not important and should be banned if it's a school of kids that don't care about their education or going to college. But you have to think about the people that do want to learn or go to college.
s.simonb

Pro

If you know homework is not important and should be banned, Then you know it has to happen. Yes, I don't want to go to college, But that does not mean that everybody has to not go to college. It's a free country. If they want to go to college, They can go to college. But, Let me tell you that there are some people out there who agree with me as well. People said things that support my protest like this: "I also agree with your point about spending time with family. Kids already spend more time with their peers, So when they come home, They should be able to bond with their family, Or at least put in time to their actual interests. Parents can take their kids to fun places where they can learn *without* homework. Take them to science centres, Or museums, Heck, Even taking them on hikes/exploring is a great teaching lesson". I honestly don't care about my grades. Let me ask you this: If teachers don't give children more outdoor experience and more family time, Then what's the point in learning and getting good grades? And don't even try to play "It makes children smarter and grow up more" card. Because, I've heard stuff like that before.
dinachen

Con

I agree with some of what you said, But there should still be higher level classes with lost's of homework. Because there are always people that do want to go to college. Plus homework is what cushions your grade, And in order to pass and graduate you have to not fail the class. So luckily kids have homework because it makes them easier to graduate high school. For example, If your grade only tests, And you bombed all of them, Your grade is probably going to be a D and an F. But if their homework to cushion your grade, Failing the tests is less likely to prevent you from graduating.
s.simonb

Pro

If homework makes kids easier to graduate high school, Then you tell me why they are having meltdowns about assignments. A, From this comment that one of the people out there who agrees with me typed: "Studies have proven that homework does not necessarily equal better grades/test scores.

If anything, I feel homework overwhelms young people and puts unnecessary amounts of stress on young minds that don't need it. I've seen teenagers have legit mental breakdowns because of assignments, And that's not healthy, Nor is it, I'm sure, Helping them learn anything but how to deal with stress/deadlines.

School is a full-time job to kids. Most jobs don't make you work once you're off the clock. Why should school? When you're done with work, You're done. You take time for yourself. We already spend so much time working in this life, Why are we going to deprive kids of the little free time they have left before adulthood?

I also agree with your point about spending time with family. Kids already spend more time with their peers, So when they come home, They should be able to bond with their family, Or at least put in time to their actual interests. Parents can take their kids to fun places where they can learn *without* homework. Take them to science centres, Or museums, Hell, Even taking them on hikes/exploring is a great teaching lesson.

Homework is mainly busy-work. I've actually learnt more in classes that *didn't* overwhelm me with work afterwards. I can't learn when I'm too busy just trying to finish an assignment. I learn better when I'm relaxed and can recharge my brain".

B, From news and from papers I have read saying that kids are completely overwhelmed by some assignments and final exams they are assigned.

And don't try to play "They are being dramatic, It should stop, And they don't get a choice" card. Because, This is serious.

All I can say is: If you find out that you failed your assignments all because you stayed up all night working on it and have a negative attitude, Don't say I did not warn you. And I don't take "You're just a kid, You don't know anything about homework, And you don't have the god forsaken power to do anything about it" for a comment.
dinachen

Con

Maybe you learn better without homework, But that does not mean that other's would learn better without it. This is especially the case because everybody has different learning styles. For example some people prefer lectures while other's prefer reading. Another example would be the fact that Active learners remember things better by doing something with the info while reflective learners would rather think it through first. Homework might stress kids out, But at least it provides them skills that they need for college, If they're going to college.
s.simonb

Pro

"Most students hate homework with a passion and agree it should be banned. Yet, There are ethical elements making people think twice about giving students assignments to complete at home. Even from a professional view there are reasons why banning homework would make sense. Parents, Students, And educators may agree to an extent that such assignments may not be as effective. Why so? There are school districts that already have a ban and claim things have gotten easier. " (https://www. Tcnjstudentactivities. Com/why-homework-should-be-banned-5-good-points-to-consider/)
Even many teachers believe that homework should be banned because it"s a positive thing. Just think about it. If your child has 3 or 6 homework assignments, Then your child not only would they not get to spend time with their families, But will not have time to be a kid. Think about how homework could affect your child in the future when they grow up.
Some people think that homework is necessary because children need more practice and it prepares them for college. Part of the reason from my parent"s point of view of why homework should not be banned is because parents (including my parents) need to know what is going on in the classroom. Parents feel like they need to be more involved in their child"s education. To other parents who want their children to have homework every day, Homework is a way that teachers, Parents, And students to communicate. Teachers need to be more accountability in the classroom. Not only does homework could improve your child"s handwriting and reading skills, But it is more of a bonding experience. Homework gives you extra practice until your child is becoming confident. But, There are some parents and/or children around the world in different countries and different races who are taking all or most of the fun, Positive things about homework and turning it into an actual, Physical, Negative, And realistic problem which can seriously cause more conflict with one family member to another and becomes less of a bonding experience. If this conflict goes on any longer, Parents and children around the world not only will children stay up all night working on homework, But will also become enemies when it comes to homework.
Even though that some adults (including my parents) think that homework is needed for more practice and college preparation, I think that homework must be banned because children should spend more time with family, Be less stressed out, And have more time to explore other interests.

Do you want to know why I ACTUALLY hate homework? I hate homework because it is a waste of talent. That's right, I HATE HOMEWORK BECAUSE IT'S A WASTE OF TALENT! To support my protest against homework, I wrote a very strong Haiku to express my contempt for homework. I for one called it, "Simon"s Beacon". I don't care if it's not an actual haiku.

Whatever happened". .

". . . . To a happy family?

(wildfire on Christmas eve)

Homework is so bad for kids. GOOGLE IT!
dinachen

Con

Maybe having homework does have its negatives, But that doesn't mean it needs to be completely banned. By saying that homework should be banned you're basically saying that kids should have no homework at all. Plus the purpose of school is for kids to learn and to prepare them for college, The purpose of school is not to give kids free time. I'll says that maybe homework should be lessened rather than banned completely.
Posted by lmurdock 2 years ago
lmurdock
There are very few occupations, Where you take the work home. What occupational benefit does it give students to send them home with homework. Extra practice. . . . . Yes, But at the expense of loving school. Worth it?
Posted by omar2345 3 years ago
omar2345
@dinachen

I don't see why you took up this debate.

Here is a vote from me.

@s. Simonb

Try to keep it more civil and straight to the point. If you point is I do not like it, It is easy to rebut since a ban would be in this scenario for everyone not just you. You did add examples but they were not facts representing a majority of people who had homework. Instead it was anecdotes.

Your link did not work. If you think that would have proven dinachen's claim wrong please respond.

All I could say is better luck next time.
Posted by GraysonGg_116 3 years ago
GraysonGg_116
This is the least formal debate I've ever viewed. First of all, The Pro basically comes up with a million different ways to say "homework is stressful" and for that very reason it should be banned. I strongly disagree with the topic of this arguement. Homework is absolutely necessary. If the teacher continually taught, Handing out no homework assignments whatsoever, How would he/she know where his/her class is at? Come test time when everyone fails and they wonder why, It would be due to the absence of homework. It is set up as a check-in for students to show the teacher they're ready to move on. Also the statement made by the Pro that said basically said "It leaves less time for bonding" is such a weak claim. Children have the entire summer and some weekends to socialize with their family- although nowadays they'd rather rot on video games. Finally, Although I agree with the Con's argumentitive stance, All the Con is doing is stating opinions backed up by no evidence. Maybe try focusing more on what the teacher is saying and attempt to successfully complete your homework before you try debating about a topic you both clearly know nothing about
Posted by Jimmy123debate 3 years ago
Jimmy123debate
I do not have much to say, But I agree that homework should be banned.
Posted by Pluvio 3 years ago
Pluvio
I agree with this. Studies have proven that homework does not necessarily equal better grades/test scores.

Homework is mainly busy-work. I've actually learnt more in classes that *didn't* overwhelm me with work afterwards. I can't learn when I'm too busy just trying to finish an assignment. I learn better when I'm relaxed and can recharge my brain.
Vote Placed by omar2345 3 years ago
omar2345
s.simonbdinachenTied
Reasons for voting decision: Against argument "Maybe you learn better without homework, But that does not mean that other's would learn better without it." is pretty much all against needed to win but that was added in Round 4. What Pro could have done was provided evidence to say the majority do find homework ineffective but pro didn't. Pro used exclamation marks whereas against kept it civil which did not go against against's conduct. I would say against went straight to the point whereas pro had a lot of filler. I think I covered everything necessary to give my conclusion. If you have any problems add it into the comments. I'll read it and see if I did something wrong.