s.simonb
Alex.oland

Homework: Should it be banned?

s.simonb has forfeited round #2.
Updated: 3 years ago Status: Debating Period

s.simonb

Pro

Why does homework have to be banned? Well, because, even though that some adults (including my parents) think that homework is needed for more practice and college preparation, I think that homework should be banned because children can spend more time with family, be less stressed out, and have more time to explore other interests. I see children cry, I see children complain, I see parents and/or teachers yell, and I see everyone cranky, tired, upset, grumpy, and all those words that means unhappy. What causes this negativity you ask? The answer is HOMEWORK!!!
Children can spend more time with family if they did not have homework at night. For example, The family could go places, ride bikes, and explore nature. "Banning homework effectively allows children to spend whatever little time they have before bed talking with their parents about their day in school and other topics." (http://greengarageblog.org...)
When it comes to family vacation time, me and my family feel a lot closer together. If I have a ton of homework, I would spend less time bonding with my family. Homework causes stress because sometimes it takes you a long time to finish. Homework also causes lack of sleep meaning that you will stay up late at night working on homework and getting less sleep. Then the next day you can be tired and grumpy and you fall asleep in class. You could get in trouble by your teacher if you fall asleep in class. You can also be too tired to participate in school activities and class then you may get very bad grades. "Homework causes stress in many students. Homework takes time, and it keeps students up late at night getting the work done. The loss of sleep makes it hard to concentrate during class because students are so tired. I once stayed up until midnight and wound up very tired when morning arrived. It was hard to focus on my lessons. As a student, I think sleep is more important than doing homework. Students study during the day at schools and academies, so there is no reason that we have to get homework. Many schools have a one-hour rule, but with multiple classes and each teacher assigning one hour of homework, you end up with hours of work to do at home. Students in advanced levels get even more work than the students in basic classes."
(http://www.debate.org...)
If you have too much homework you do not have enough time for hobbies or other interests like, playing sports or art classes. Having other interests are pretty important. Why? Because, if you have an interest, like pottery for example, and you want to have that job when you grow up, you can get an after school class there and when you grow up, you got the job.
"Most students hate homework with a passion and agree it should be banned. Yet, there are ethical elements making people think twice about giving students assignments to complete at home. Even from a professional view there are reasons why banning homework would make sense. Parents, students, and educators may agree to an extent that such assignments may not be as effective. Why so? There are school districts that already have a ban and claim things have gotten easier." (https://www.tcnjstudentactivities.com...)
Even many teachers believe that homework should be banned because it"s a positive thing. Just think about it. If your child has 3 or 6 homework assignments, then your child not only would they not get to spend time with their families, but will not have time to be a kid. Think about how homework could affect your child in the future when they grow up.
Some people think that homework is necessary because children need more practice and it prepares them for college. Part of the reason from my parent"s point of view of why homework should not be banned is because parents (including my parents) need to know what is going on in the classroom. Parents feel like they need to be more involved in their child"s education. To other parents who want their children to have homework every day, homework is a way that teachers, parents, and students to communicate. Teachers need to be more accountability in the classroom. Not only does homework could improve your child"s handwriting and reading skills, but it is more of a bonding experience. Homework gives you extra practice until your child is becoming confident. But, there are some parents and/or children around the world in different countries and different races who are taking all or most of the fun, positive things about homework and turning it into an actual, physical, negative, and realistic problem which can seriously cause more conflict with one family member to another and becomes less of a bonding experience. If this conflict goes on any longer, parents and children around the world not only will children stay up all night working on homework, but will also become enemies when it comes to homework.
Even though that some adults (including my parents) think that homework is needed for more practice and college preparation, I think that homework must be banned because children should spend more time with family, be less stressed out, and have more time to explore other interests.

So, yeah. That is why I hate homework and why it should be banned. And all of what I said is all true.
Alex.oland

Con

Homework is important for children to not forget the things they learned at school. Be honest, how many children do you think would sit down and study at home by theirselves? Nearly none. Homework is extremely crucial if you want students to really understand the lesson.

You argue that homework gets in the way of activities, but it should at most take like 1 hour and that is nothing compared to how much time you have on your hands. Yeah, teachers who give a lot of homework are wrong, but homework should not be banned altogether.
Posted by Nd2400 3 years ago
Nd2400
Homework is needed to advance on society. Like calculus, you not going to learn this just in the class room. You need practice, that why HW is important. If you want to work for McDonald's for the rest of your life or have a meaningless job. Then by all means don't do your HW. But if you want a career that pays, then do your HW.