onyux
Hadii

Homework should not be banned

onyux

Pro

Compared to the past, the amount of homework that schools assign for students became more and more. Some people argue that school should ban homework, but do homework really not have benefits? I think homework is necessary, and shouldn"t be banned. Homework is not only good for reviewing studies in the classes, but also can assess how well students understand and how well the teachers teach. Also, some people argue that the time students spend doing homework is a waste, but it"s not true. In fact, managing time for homework is a good preparation for the future.

Firstly, reviewing the works in the classes can help students not forget what they learnt, and get high scores. When students learn new things in the school, they are lasted as short-term memory. By practice of information, which is homework we talk here, short-term memory is converted into long-term memory, so that students won"t forget after days. (Adult_brain_growth.ppt) Only if the students made the things they learnt into unforgettable information, would they not have to review all the things before tests, and get higher score in the tests. It"s actually much easier for students on the whole compared to doing great amount of revision just before the tests. According to the results of several studies, "the average homework completer had higher unit test scores than 73 percent of non-completers (Cooper, Robinson, & Patall, 2006)" (David J. Marks, PhD). This made evident that completing homework can truly higher students" test scores.

Second, homework can help both students and teachers to assess their learning and teaching conditions in order to improve them. Students would be able to find the points they are confused about, or they are poor at. On the same breath, teachers can check if students really understand the lessons, and if the teaching methods are good fits for students.

Lastly, doing homework could be a good preparation for future careers because people often have assignments even they grew up and are working. The article about spending time on homework is worth it says, "Having more meaningful homework assignments can help build management skills" (Jane Eyre), and "For high school students, doing assignments outside of the classroom get them interested in a career path." (Jane Eyre) This shows that doing homework is not only good for the academic studies students are studying now, but also good for future careers and life styles.

To conclude, homework can help students with their studies, assessing, and careers in the future. So if schools ban homework, students would easily forget what they"ve learnt in class and have no idea about how well they are doing in the studies. Have students had whole afterschool time as free time, they wouldn"t be able to finish reading books or projects as well. Therefore, homework benefits students, and shouldn"t be banned by schools.
Hadii

Con

Homework should be banned or at least should only be classwork that isn't finished in class.

"Education is what remains after one has forgotten what one has learned in school." ~ Albert Einstein
If one of the smartest people in history says school isn't good system, then there is obviously a lot wrong with it, and one of those things is homework and I'll explain why.

Not all students learn the same.
Some students already master the subject when first learning about it and having extra homework is unnecessary and just wastes their time when the can be a learning new things, or just enjoying their free time, and for the students who are struggling with the material, teachers should personally help the kids who are struggling instead of spending 3-15 (depending on the grade level and how fast they grade it) hours a week grading homework and failing kids who do not understand the subject. Also from personal experience, I believe homework is bad because of the many nights that I stay up to work on it mainly because I procrastinate at everything I do including this debate., and I'm a good student, I usually always have straight A's (except for this semester I have two B's, the lowest my grades have ever been) and am in honors classes, because of homework I usually get little sleep causing me not be able to pay attention in my first two periods of the day, so from experience I do not belive homework has benifited me in any way. Don't get me wrong I love learning I just don't think homework and even school (but that's another subject) teach well or interests someone in the thing they are learning. Also, I usually always ace quizzes and tests and I never study, so saying that all students need to review subjects is also a myth. ""the average homework completer had higher unit test scores than 73 percent of non-completers (Cooper, Robinson, & Patall, 2006)"" I do not believe that homework is helping them learn better, this is because students who get good grades on tests are usually the type of students who care about their grades, so they do their homework fearing their grades will go down, these kids aren't caring about their education they are just caring about their score, which proves why homework is harmful.

You go to schools 6 hours a day for a reason, and school shouldn't be treated as a job.
6 hours is more than enough to learn everything you need to learn on that particular day, and if there isn't enough they should just remove classes that don't need to make time, and just make them temporary. Like history(my fav subject by the way) and PE should be optional only if the students really want to do that class. Free time should be removed as much as possible, students should spend all their time working and learning instead of doing useless crap and socializing and leave that for after school finishes instead of having to work a little in school than have free time a little, and then having to go home and spend the rest of your time working while you already spent 6 hours in school. Also, schools shouldn't be treated like jobs. You shouldn't be graded on how much work you get done, but how much you learn and how smart you are, so even if you somehow convince me that homework is a good thing there's is no way it should be graded for it.

Let us look at statistics.
Finland gives out far less homework than the United States and students there rank better than US students ("In the most recent assessment in 2009, they ranked sixth in math, second in science and third in reading. By comparison, U.S. students ranked 30th, 23rd and 17th, respectively, of the 65 tested countries/economies." (Stanford News)), and this is not just the case with just Finland. Japan, Denmark, and the Czech Republic, countries who give little homework, outperform those who give a lot, like Greece, Iran, and Thailand.

This is why I believe that Homework should be gotten rid of.
I'm sorry if I have grammar issues or if my statement sounds a little rushed I haven't had much time to spend on Debate.org because and school and stuff, but spring break is coming soon so I will be able to (hopefully) debate better next time.

Good luck, and may the best debater win.
onyux

Pro

um why did i put 3 rounds?
Hadii

Con

Vote Con!