ApotheosisOrangutan
jo154676

Homework

ApotheosisOrangutan

Con

In my opinion, homework is a waste of time because of its ineffectiveness.

Sure, it's good to study for a test every now and then or practice an important presentation you have the next day.

I'm talking about the work that teachers give students to study outside of class like reading textbook pages, or completing an online simulator for science; things like that.

If teachers really want students to study, they should give them time in class to do so. If they spend too much time rambling about a subject and their students don't have enough time to complete work, complete it the next day. So many teenagers have extracurricular activities that are stressful and time consuming enough.

Teachers should evaluate the physical, mental, emotional and social stress homework causes students before assigning hours of it. After extensive research, I am able to conclude that homework doesn't actually help, nor do I, in my opinion think it aids learning in any way.
jo154676

Pro

I will be arguing that homework is not only beneficial but imperative for students success.

The best way to put something to memory is repetition, and this is one of the things homework does. Let's say student A is in a math class and is having trouble with factoring of quadratics, the best way for the student to learn is to do examples and learn the different ways that they can factor and as they do more and more problems it will become faster and faster until they eventually master it. The other big thing that homework does is that it forces you to think about class outside of class time so the information is not forgotten. Let us use student A for an example again. If he learns the method to factor the quadratic in class and then he spends 24 hours away from class what are the chances he learns it? The homework is reinforcing the information. It also fosters independance and improves study skills (1)

source will be in comments as con has limited me to 1000 character and wont fit.
ApotheosisOrangutan

Con

The repetition style you're demonstrating in your examples gives a sense of choice. This shows that a student will, outside of their school, study more in order to learn their content better.

However, this may not be the case for some students. Many of them are differentiated in their learning, therefore do not need outside work or repetition in order to comprehend. When a teacher distributes homework as required instead of a helpful tool, it limits the amount of learning a student of higher ability might get done compared to those slower at learning content.

If a student isn't busy, studying is a good option, however, with highschool students, many crammed schedules arouse and this leaves no time for extra work outside of school. With homework added on, that leaves almost no time in the day and this can negatively affect their performance and participation at school.

--Most of this is opinionated based on research, and my sources for my opinion will be posted in the comments.--
jo154676

Pro

Many students do not make the choice, because they do not yet understand the gravity of homework. They see it as busywork, which it is sometimes. I was one of those students who didn't need to do homework, and was highly successful without it so I understand where you are coming from but we have to teach for the average student, and the average student needs help with learning the concepts. And this is not a majority of students that feels this way, it is a very small percentage.

Oh the old "students have no time" argument. Lack of time for homework is based on lack of time management. Students put sports and leisure above academics and then when they run out of time they don't do the academic part. I was a varsity wrestler for 2 years (which was 6 days a week min 3-4 hours a day), maintained a reasonable social life, and still found time to do all my work. Cut out unneccesary things like video games and naps and you will be fine.
ApotheosisOrangutan

Con

School and education shouldn't be the only thing growing people pursue in life. Doing extracurricular activities like sports, dance, show choir, etc. sparks interest for the future. Having free time should not be spent on homework, unless a student consents to it freely.

Having 8 hours of school a day gives enough time to study content in classes. The time outside of school should be time to immerse students in ulterior interests. Students certainly hold academics high, I mean, they attend school for all of those hours to learn, so isn't that dedication enough? Sports and leisure are important aspects of a high school life, and should not be disregarded for something that already uses up a majority of their day.

A statistic: at Red Deer Highschool, the dropout/fail rates were 40% for students. However, when homework was taken away, that percentage went down to 4. Without homework being a vital part of their education, high school students were able to achieve better things.
jo154676

Pro

School is the students job until they graduate, so it is the most important thing in their life. My school day was from 7:30-2, which is 6 and a half hours but there was a lot of down time, 5 minutes between classes, lunch, advisory all taking time away from class. In reality students were learning for about 45 minutes, 6 classes a day so 4 and a half hours. This does not allow enough time for students to learn all the material in the curriculum, which is why teachers almost never finish their curriculum.

The last part actually hurts your argument because it shows us once again lowering standards for people. Who cares if the rate went down by 36% if none of those people earned the diploma. They are not going to be properly prepared for college or the real world. If students cannot manage their time wisely enough then they need to remove something from their life.

If homework would be removed the school day would have to be extended much further which nobody wants. I hate this limit
Posted by Wrestle215 1 year ago
Wrestle215
Homework is an essential part of the education process. When homework is assigned correctly, it is focused towards a student's ability. Classroom teaching involves teaching students according to their abilities. Therefore, homework should be guided the same way. The main idea of the homework can be the same, but the application can vary. Therefore, success is measured by individual student responses and not by generalized answers. Homework has been an issue, but if the teacher uses critical thinking and reasoning, and has different assumptions for each group; homework is beneficial. It will not be a nuisance because if the commitments after school. It will be a reward that shows mastery.
Posted by whiteflame 1 year ago
whiteflame
*******************************************************************
>Reported vote: ca2005// Mod action: Removed<

2 points to Pro (Sources), 1 point to Con (S&G). Reasons for voting decision: For better spelling and grammar I choose Con because of one mistake that Pro made in his argument in the first round: "source will be in comments as con has limited me to 1000 character and wont fit." The source should've been capitalized. For the reliable sources I gave the points to Pro because he used multiple sources which are backing up his argument.

[*Reason for removal*] (1) S&G is insufficiently explained. The voter is required to do more than simply point to isolated S&G errors. It must be clear that one of the debaters wrote in such a way that it was difficult to understand their argument. This is not an opportunity to nit-pick single mistakes. (2) Sources are insufficiently explained. Both sides used at least one source, and the voter is not allowed to award points based solely on the number of sources provided. The voter must assess their quality and compare.
***********************************************************************
Posted by rogueone 1 year ago
rogueone
Jo154676,
I noticed you left a comment on my debate about boy scouts and if you feel that way would strongly urge you to vote for me at the end of the debate.
Posted by ApotheosisOrangutan 1 year ago
ApotheosisOrangutan
Abeles, Vicki. "Is School Making Our Children Ill?." New York Times. 03 Jan. 2016: SR.2. SIRS Issues Researcher. Web. 04 May 2016.

Abeles, Vicki. "Workaholic Students." Los Angeles Times. 29 Jan. 2016: A.19. SIRS Issues Researcher. Web. 04 May 2016.

"After the bell rings, kids should be free." Barrie Advance (ON) 12 Sept. 2014: Points of View Reference Center.
Web. 4 May 2016.

"Benefits of homework queried." Australian Financial Review 10 Mar. 2015: 13.
Points of View Reference Center. Web. 4 May 2016.

Boesveld, Sarah. "No More Homework." National Post. 06 Sep. 2014: A.3. SIRS Issues Researcher. Web. 04 May 2016.

Frerking, Beth. "The Problem with Homework." Plain Dealer (Cleveland, OH). Feb. 14 1999: Mag. Sec. 8+. SIRS Issues Researcher. Web. 04 May 2016.

Here are all of my cited resources that I may or may not make reference to in this debate.
ApotheosisOrangutan
I'd probably say violation. Sorry for the lack of space. I based this debate mostly on rebuttals of main points the opposing view makes. I'm new to debating, so I didn't think space should be added for extensive reasoning and sources. They'll probably have to be posted here (the sources). Thanks for understanding ^^
Posted by jo154676 1 year ago
jo154676
1. (http://eds.b.ebscohost.com.proxy-edinboro.klnpa.org...)

Also con am I allowed to use google docs as a way to expand my characters or is that in violation of the debate?