Attention: Debate.org is closing and the website will be shut down on June 5, 2022. New Topics can no longer be posted and Sign Up has been disabled. Existing Topics will still function as usual until the website is taken offline. Members can download their content by using the Download Data button in My Account.
demimiller
WrickItRalph

How Social Media Affects the Minds of Young Adults

demimiller has forfeited round #2.
Updated: 3 years ago Status: Debating Period

demimiller

Pro

Social Media is very harmful to the mid of young adults. We are able to be brain washed on items that we specifically look into. For example, When scrolling through the media an advertisement will pop up on something you searched a few days ago. Another example, If you watched videos of how much trump is hated then the reality is you'll get pop up ads with possible memes saying how trump sucks. Social Media is taking the lives of young adults and transforming them to not interact as much and brain wash into what you want to hear.
WrickItRalph

Con

It's pretty common for parents to fear technology, Especially when it involves their kids. I was a teenager when social media first became popular and back in the old days, You might have been right. Our understanding of the internet has improved since then and our kids tend to know technology better than we do.

My first point will be that social media is healthy because it allows young adults to see the views of people who aren't in their communities. It allows them to escape thought bubbles within their community. It helps them escape religious indoctrination within their communities (An extremely serious problem) Would you rather have young adults getting their wisdom from some random person in their community? I'd think not.

My second point will be that technology is inevitable and to fight it is silly. Facebook, For instance, Has one of the my strict censorship policies on the internet. They couldn't make it safer if they wanted. As for the thing you said about facebook feeding you stories based off what you do, It's actually possible to get around that and the young adults know how to do this better than us. All you have to do is change a few facebook settings, Clear you cookies, Set up a VPN and turn off location. It's not hard actually.

The ugly truth is that the way that we got information as kids was worse. Before the internet, I believed in all kinds of nonsense from people. Social media isn't exactly the pinnacle of truth. But young adults are going to get bad info even there was no social media and shutting it down is just sheltering them from the inevitable. The best way for them to learn is to use it. So I reject that we should do anything to it at all.

Also, How can you brain wash someone into what they want to hear? If they want to hear it and they aren't making an effort to see if it's true, Then they have already brainwashed themselves into it.

Your floor.
Posted by WrickItRalph 3 years ago
WrickItRalph
I agree that kids should be well monitored on social media.
Posted by WrickItRalph 3 years ago
WrickItRalph
One could just as easily get addicted to the bar. I think a facebook addiction is not as bad.

The only difference between live interaction and social media interaction is a body near you. People sit in google plus rooms (social media) for hours and take and chill just like friends. I think you simply have a preference for the other way and it's giving you a bias, Because as far as I can see. They're both just as good objectively. So what's the harm?

People on social media aren't avoiding social interaction. The media is still an interaction. If anything, You've made an argument for my side. The people who have social anxiety could get the interaction they need in a safer setting where they're not so nervous. Still not seeing a down side here
Posted by oalks 3 years ago
oalks
I'm all for social media if the kids' time and access are limited, Similar to video games in that regard actually.

Keep in mind I'm not advocating for legislation which would forcefully limit their access. I'm simply advocating for healthy use and parental awareness of the down-sides.
Posted by oalks 3 years ago
oalks
Using the bar as an example - Going to the bar once every now and then to interact and have fun is ok. Making it a habit and developing and eventual addiction is not. Alcohol and social media addiction work on similar mechanisms to reel people in, Namely dopamine.

An internet friendship could be loosely described as an actual friendship, Just not a productive and healthy one. Most social scenes have some undesirable factors but we're social creatures. It turns out people suffering from social anxiety will often use this possible detriment as an excuse to avoid interaction altogether. Avoiding social interaction in response to a potential negative is immensely unhealthy and will trigger depression in most people.
Posted by WrickItRalph 3 years ago
WrickItRalph
@Oalks.

Why is an internet friendship not an actual friendship?
Why is it any worse than going to a bar?
Wouldn't you agree that most social scenes have undesirable factors?
Posted by oalks 3 years ago
oalks
Social media is harmful to kids, Just not in the way he's insinuated. Unchecked it instils poor coping mechanisms while disincentivising actual relationships and social bonding. It's addictive as well, In a similar manner to gambling.