ViceRegent
Masterful

How do atheists raiionally know truth from fiction?

Masterful

ViceRegent

Con

IF YOU ARE UNABLE OR UNWILLING TO READ THIS WHOLE POST AND THEN RESPOND TO THE SINGLE QUESTION IT ASKS, GO AWAY. I FIND IT HILARIOUS THAT THESE ATHEISTS KEEP VOMITING WORDS AND YET NOT ONE HAS ANSWERED MY Q.

Atheists love to live under the delusion that they are the guardians of rationality. But how can they hold this title when they cannot even articulate a rational way to know truth from fiction. If they cannot do this, they are literally ignorant and the ignorant cannot guard anything. SO, BY WHAT METHOD DOES ANY ATHEIST CLAIM TO RATIONALLY KNOW TRUTH FROM FICTION?

Answering this question is the sole purpose for this debate. I have even put it in capital letters for those to dense to get it. If you are unable or unwilling to answer this question, do not respond to this debate. Likewise, if you do not believe in reality, believe you make it up or deny it is objective or knowable, or if you do not know how to rationally know truth from fiction, do not respond to this debate. If you are terrified of cross-examination or madly in love with red herrings, do not respond to this debate. If you have responded before, do not respond to this debate. After all, if you had nothing rational to say then, you will having nothing rational to say now.

If all you have is "science", do not respond to this debate, for science relies on the your senses and reason, which begs the question of how you know your senses and reason are valid. Perhaps you can tell me, which is fine, but if the way you validate you senses and reason is with your senses and reason, you lose the debate because that is circular reasoning and circular reasoning is not rational.

if you respond in violation of these rules, you automatically lose the debate.
Masterful

Pro

How, as a non believer in God, do I know what is real and what is not?

I use a combination of my 5 senses to work out if something is real or not. If I can't use at least one of my 5 senses to test a claim, then I will have to take that claim sceptically. To negate the use of any of my 5 sense is to go against my human nature. It is natural to trust your senses, but it's not natural to trust a book.
ViceRegent

Con

Another fool who did not read the OP. Oh well....

Do come to conclusions about reality based on your senses, you must use not only your senses but your reason. This leads to three questions:

1) Which of your senses told you your senses lead to truth?

2) How do you know your sense an reason are valid. And, please, do not beg the question by telling me your rely on your senses to validate your senses.

3) As their are delusion people in the world who misperceive reality while using their senses, how do you know you are not one of them.
Masterful

Pro

-I quote-
"SO, BY WHAT METHOD DOES ANY ATHEIST CLAIM TO RATIONALLY KNOW TRUTH FROM FICTION?
Answering this question is the sole purpose for this debate"

-End quote-

^ this is what we are arguing correct? If so then I don't know why you're complaining, you've made it clear what we're arguing about by that statement alone.

Why should I believe in my senses?

-If I see a man walk down the street I know that men, do typically walk down streets, therefore what I saw is constant with reality and consistent with what I have seen before.
If I see a dragon walk down the street, I know that is not consistent with reality and not consistent with what I've seen before.

-Our sense have been with us for 10,000s of years and have helped in our survival. the very fact that we are alive suggest our senses conform with reality as they have worked for us and allowed us to detect danger. It's true that our senses can fail us from time to time, but when inconsistencies begin to show it's likely that there is something wrong with your senses.
It's also a good idea to compare your sense to that of others. For example if everyone can smell that your milk has gone bad, but you can't. Then it's likely your sense of smell has gone.

Unlike our senses, religion has never been needed for survival, as the oldest religion is roughly 5000 years old. So why would we even compare religion to something as important to us as our senses?

If religion wants to make a claim for a being of extreme power existing, then I would like to use at least one of my 5 sense to test such an enormous claim. To use anything other than one of my 5 senses, would go against my human nature.

I also don't appreciate my opponent calling me "another fool" as I did comply with said rules and feel like I have valuable input.
ViceRegent

Con

This fool failed to answer my three questions, all of which are foundational to his claim. I will ask one more time and if he fails to answer one more time, he loses the debate:

Masterful

Pro

-You said-
"BY WHAT METHOD DOES ANY ATHEIST CLAIM TO RATIONALLY KNOW TRUTH FROM FICTION?

-End quote-

This is what you have asked in your opening argument, so to change the rules halfway through is cheating, therefore you would lose.

I've clearly answered your first question AND your 3 others, so let me repeat it for you. It's all in here.

If I see a man walk down the street I know that men, do typically walk down streets, therefore what I saw is constant with reality and consistent with what I have seen before.

These are the reasons we can trust our senses. that's how I know my senses lead to truth.

You realise your first 2 questions contradict one another don't you? Your confusion might be your poor ability to ask good questions.

You state that I haven't answered your questions, but clearly I have, so read through what I've had to repeat for you.
Realise that your questions are in fact dumb, that's why you're having trouble with your debates.
ViceRegent

Con

As this fool failed to answer any of my three Qs, he loses the debate. Who is next?
Masterful

Pro

I've answered all your questions, which by the way, are stupid questions.

I answered your first question.

It's like saying, which book told you your Bible was truth? It's literally that dumb.

-Our senses have been with us for 10,000s of years and have helped in our survival. the very fact that we are alive suggest our senses conform with reality as they have worked for us and allowed us to detect danger. Who said we needed to use our senses to workout if our sense are true, we can just use our brain.

I also answered your second question.

I also answered your third question.

-It's true that our senses can fail us from time to time, but when inconsistencies begin to show it's likely that there is something wrong with your senses.

Considering all conduct went out the window ages ago..After I've answered your questions, and tried to point that out to you many times. I think I deserve an apology as you've been very rude this debate.
You have displayed an unbelievable amount of ignorance and unsportsmanlike like conduct.
I can whole heartedly say, you have been the worst person I've ever debated. Even Vi_spex is a better debater.
Posted by Masterful 1 year ago
Masterful
He can't debate whatever he is.
Posted by Yozavad 1 year ago
Yozavad
You claim to be a Christian:

http://www.debate.org......

"I believe in the triune God, father, son, holy spirit."--------Viceregent

You claim to be a Muslim:

http://www.debate.org......

" Every believer wants Allah....."-----------Viceregent

Later in that SAME forum, you claim to be an ATHEIST!

At 5/10/2016 1:38:14 PM, ViceRegent wrote: "All invisible supernatural gods are mythical characters. To worship any of them is childish superstition."

So, are you Christian, Muslim, or atheist?
Vote Placed by Hylian_3000 1 year ago
Hylian_3000
ViceRegentMasterfulTied
Reasons for voting decision: I keep seeing these debates everywhere... Conduct: Refrain from calling Pro a fool, Con. S&G: No distracting errors Arguments: Pro wins. Pro points out that in round 1, Con said that the question that the debate should be about is "BY WHAT METHOD DOES ANY ATHEIST CLAIM TO RATIONALLY KNOW TRUTH FROM FICTION?". Pro's arguments does answer the question, no matter how much Con refuses to acknowledge that he does. Con just asked questions, which Pro doesn't even have to answer to get his point across. He also just dismissed Pro in the final round. Con has no arguments. Sources: No sources used Comments: Pro, people don't need to debate exactly how you want them to in order for them to win. Acknowledge this.