Medievalwarfare
emm2423

How to fix American School System

Medievalwarfare

Pro

This is not a hard debate; I just want to hear thoughts from other people. So, The American Public School System is outdated and hurts every student that goes through it. What you are taught usually doesn"t stick because you are forced to learn it despite whether you need it or not, And the environment caused by the fellow lowlifes and depressed/derogative teachers makes it a struggle to go through or live through for 12 years.

Here"s my proposed solution (there will be flaws that I will ignore purely for the sake that this is a discussion, So feel free to point them out):
-Early on, Beginning in Middle School, Students choose a "major. " This major will choose what types of classes that person will take through the rest of their school days.
-Reading, Writing. And "Rithmatic is completely gone. English and Math are only required up to the 8th grade. To make sure that those skills aren"t lost, Every year there on, There will be an end of the year test purely for the sake to check retention.
-Monetary incentives by the government should be given to trade schools to send representatives to public schools and try to bring in students like universities do because trade jobs will fit for some people.

These three things alone will also deal with the environment issue because many of the lousy teachers we have will lose their jobs because they can swap over to a major based system, And students will feel better in school because they"re learning what they want.
emm2423

Con

I also agree that the school system can be flawed and outdated, But I do not think your ideas are the way to go. Things that people teach kids early in life doesn't always stick, But the things that are interesting do, And if you have good teachers you are prone to learning more.

I'll look at your points and comment on them one by one.
"Early on, Beginning in Middle School, Students choose a "major. " This major will choose what types of classes that person will take through the rest of their school days. "

I do not think that will work very well. Your proposal is an excellent idea. However, People's preferences do change as they get older and their tastes mature. When you invite an eleven-year-old to choose their major, You are requesting a child on the brink of puberty to decide what they want to do as an adult. Many pre-teen boys want to go into a sports career, So they may put off serious education to play baseball or soccer [football] just to discover that they can't go into the profession they selected initially.

My proposal: Students should get an extra class or two focusing on solely what they want to do as an adult. That would allow you to have your choice of exciting courses with the flexibility to be able to change it.
----------
"Reading, Writing. And "Rithmatic is completely gone. English and Math are only required up to the 8th grade. To make sure that those skills aren't"t lost, Every year thereon, There will be an end of the year test purely for the sake to check retention. "

Reading, Writing, And math are incredibly crucial in many different jobs. In every single job ever, You will be required to read and write some. Basic math, Such as addition, Is useful in every career I can think of, And it is helpful to have extra math knowledge so you can count change [for instance a cashier]. Writing more can also unlock secret passions. (my passion is in the medical field, Yet I love writing).

My proposal: Students can choose whether to take creative writing, Academic writing, Technical writing, Or casual writing. Reading is necessary, But students have a choice in which books to read. Math is essential, But people can choose which branch of math to study.
----------
"Monetary incentives by the government should be given to trade schools to send representatives to public schools and try to bring in students like universities do because trade jobs will fit for some people. "

There isn't much for me to say about this, I mainly agree. However, I think there shouldn't be monetary incentives. So many low-income communities could benefit from this, Even though they may not have the money for it. Also, People should do this because the students they're choosing deserve it, Not because they're getting money to select some students that seem decent.
----------
Medievalwarfare

Pro

Thank you for your input. Objectively I still believe my points have some validation, But I do agree that middle school may not be the right time to have such big decisions out on preteens. Putting this strictly in high school May work. In terms of the Three R"s, It"s necessity is true. However, More advanced forms of each other the R"s whether it"s poetry, Calculus, Or creative writing should be a choice. Having a foundation in anything is essential because then you can build off this using experience.

My thoughts can take improvement, And I think we"ve concluded on that this is possible if done later on in the school system. My main goal was to give students more choice to entice more growth and less hatred of school.
emm2423

Con

Yeah, I agree with what you're saying. Your ideas made lots of sense and with a little improvement and fine-tuning could really help kids like school more.
Posted by Charlatte 3 years ago
Charlatte
And math, English, Science, History should only be taught up until middle school since you don't learn anything else helpful in these when you're in high school. If they want to then they can take it though.
Posted by Charlatte 3 years ago
Charlatte
I agree with all of your points Medievalwarfare except the last one. One thing I think schools should be required to teach are life skills such as budgeting, Taxes, Basic cooking, Insurance, Etc. Some parents teach this to their parents so if they do then the student can take a sheet of paper home for the parent to sign so they don't have to take the class. Schools could also ask the student to take a test to check and make sure they are learning it. Don't want anyone to be introduced into the adult world and not know these vital skills.
Posted by Medievalwarfare 3 years ago
Medievalwarfare
Interesting point.
Posted by 12InchBeef 3 years ago
12InchBeef
They should teach less about the holocaust and more about the nazis