felixmendelssohn
Im_Intelligent

IQ Does Measure Intelligence

felixmendelssohn

Pro

A lot of people are uncomfortable at the idea of IQ test being valid. I, however, think IQ does correlate with a lot of other positive traits in life.

Con may state arguments in round 1.
Im_Intelligent

Con

IQ is NOT a global measure of intelligence. IQ measures mostly abstraction, understanding and reasoning abilities, and does NOT measure emotional or social intelligence. E.g. you may be an autistic with a very high IQ and a very poor social intelligence.

In addition, IQ does not say much about what you will do with the abilities which have been measured. Like owning a Ferrari does not oblige you to drive very fast: you can, but will you?
felixmendelssohn

Pro

1. Your argument seemed to be: There are things that IQ does not correlate with . True
You can broaden the scope of the word "intelligence" by introducing various intelligences and by doing so reduce the set of skills that IQ test correlates with. How about religious intelligence or sexual intelligence?

2. It's not supposed to. A car tested to have the ability to run at light speed doesn't mean it's supposed to do so.
Im_Intelligent

Con

Well for one there is no such thing as religious intelligence mainly because religion is the pure opposite of logic and reason, secondly you seem confused on the second part, i was refering that the test doesnt exactly take in account how you use your knowlege, sure the test can tell us that you know speeding in the car is wrong, but it wont tell us wether you would do so or not or if you would choose to do so.
felixmendelssohn

Pro

1. You did not refute the existence of sexual intelligence so my point still stands. You can broaden the concept of intelligence as you would like and by doing so dilute the subset of abilities that IQ test originally set to measure.

2. If religion is pure opposite of logic and reason then that must implied religious people are illogical and unreasonable? What about religious philosophers (Leibniz, Newton,...) who investigate and attempt to justify their beliefs with logic and reasons. Surely not all aspects of religion is irrational.

Secondly, if there's no such thing as religious intelligence then what about emotional intelligence. How does one put emotions on a logical framework?

3. I think you misinterpreted my point. The test does not take in account how you use your knowledge is ofc because the test wasn't supposed to test your knowledge in the first place. It tests your ability to acquire knowledge. Same thing with the car. The car have the ability to acquire distance doesn't imply that it will.c
Im_Intelligent

Con

I don't think sexual intelligence exists, and unless these religious people have evidence to support there conclusions besides "we don't know therefore god" then it isn't a valid standing point and often times get refuted, also if the IQ test simply tests your ability to gain knowledge then its not testing for intelligence at all.
Posted by 32doni32nido32 3 years ago
32doni32nido32
@Im_Intelligent
Intelligence and being smart are two different things, I agree, but imagine if I said "intelligent, intelligent, intelligent" over and over again when I could use the two terms to get across the basic message of what I want. Sounds very repetitive and would make everything blend too much together; word variety can add distinction.
Posted by Im_Intelligent 3 years ago
Im_Intelligent
have you considered what the test is measuring isn't actually intelligence -_-

You seem to like the word dilute alot, im sorry intelligence isn't as black and white as you would like it to be.
Posted by Redbluegreen 3 years ago
Redbluegreen
Felixmendelssohn. As far as I am aware, there is no standard definition of intelligence. While most definitions do relate with abstract thinking, there is no rigorous scientific concensus on this matter. The definition of intelligence has been controversial at best and to say we have a way to measure intelligence is frankly misleading. Even if IQ does in fact exist in a measurable way, we have no way to prove that we have the ability to recognize this currently. What we use to measure intelligence currently measures a very specific aspect of intelligence and has not, scientifically speaking, provided consistent or satisfactory results.
Posted by felixmendelssohn 3 years ago
felixmendelssohn
Perhaps you haven't been in touch with the standard psychological definition of intelligence. All of them involves the ability to reason abstractly.

A word should be assigned a concept that it precisely describes. Broadening the concept of intelligence to dilute its correlation with what it originally set out to measure is absurd.

regarding the cosmology thing, you granted yourself the privilege to dilute definition not the whole scientific community.
Posted by Im_Intelligent 3 years ago
Im_Intelligent
Is cosmology from 2018 going to be absurd because it doesn't correspond to what it says on a science test from 1950?
Posted by Im_Intelligent 3 years ago
Im_Intelligent
Well perhaps intelligence isn't so simple, let alone properly measuring it, im sorry you find that absurd.
Posted by felixmendelssohn 3 years ago
felixmendelssohn
I would like to hear your distinction on those two terms.

It is absurd when you broaden the concept of intelligence so vastly that the original set of abilities IQ test measures is nothing compared to the abilities defined as intelligence.
Posted by Im_Intelligent 3 years ago
Im_Intelligent
using IQ as a measure of ones intelligence is absurd.

i would also stress that being "smart" and being "intelligent" are two separate things.
Posted by 32doni32nido32 3 years ago
32doni32nido32
I actually scored an I.Q. of 147, but does that mean I'm smart?
Short answer: NO!
I know someone who I think is waaaaayyy smarter than me yet they scored an I.Q. of 140.

Same with S.A.T. and A.C.T. testing.
When I was in 8th grade, I was going to a private school and everyone had to take an S.A.T. test. When my results came back, I looked at them and saw that I scored a 1436/1600. But, apparently, there's no correlation between actual intelligence and those scores.
So does it really matter?
Not at all.

Though it'd be nice to think those two things actually have something to do with my intelligence, they don't. At all.
I'm not sure if you've picked up on this, but go ahead and look at some of my past comments and debates; I'm not exactly the smartest cookie.

They may relate to the stereotypical type of intelligence like knowing random facts off the top of my head, and though I have been considered by others to be both smart AND creative, I would MUCH rather be creative than be boring and study facts all day. Though I do all of them, I would much rather write stories, make music, and/or draw than study all day (which can actually be interesting but also exhausting).

But with what I want to do with my life, intelligence isn't exactly a necessary factor. So even if it turns out that I AM extremely smart, based on my interests, who cares? It doesn't really matter. Besides, other's opinions are unnecessary unless they're needed to improve you as a person.

Summary:
No, I.Q. does not measure intelligence.