Our_Boat_is_Right
Wizofoz

I'm Pro Gun: Change my Mind

Wizofoz has forfeited round #2.
Updated: 3 years ago Status: Debating Period

Our_Boat_is_Right

Pro

Guns are for self defense and protection against a tyrannical government. Change my mind.
Wizofoz

Con

In any such conflict, It has almost always been the case that at least as large a percentage of the population has been in favor of the tyrants as against.

You are ensuring that THEY will also be armed, And in a better position to put down your posited fight against the tyrants.

Guns have not proven to be an effective method of protection- they are by nature offensive.

The idea that, Faced with an armed intruder who is ready to shoot, You will get you gun, Ensure it is loaded and then overpower the intruder, When all he will have to do is aim and shoot shows it's limitations.

It is just a statistical fact that guns are much more likely to be used to kill yourself or a member of you family than an intruder- ACCIDENTAL deaths by gunshot are more prevalent than defensive, In-home shootings.

Passive protection like bars on windows and re-enforced doors are much more effective deterrents.

The fact that you have encouraged a gun society now means the chance of an intruder being armed are much higher, And the chance of being shot by police are MANY times higher than in countries with strict gun control.
Our_Boat_is_Right

Pro

"In any such conflict, It has almost always been the case that at least as large a percentage of the population has been in favor of the tyrants as against. "
So, In North Korea the half the population are in favor of Kim Jong Un? And in Germany, People were in favor of the holocaust?

"You are ensuring that THEY will also be armed, And in a better position to put down your posited fight against the tyrants. "
You have a much better chance with guns, Mainly AR-15's and AK47's. America fought against a tyrannical government in 1776, Israel 1948, Russia 1989, France 1793, And many more.

"Guns have not proven to be an effective method of protection- they are by nature offensive. "
False. There are over 2. 5 million defensive gun uses pear year, According to the cdc. There are 12, 000 gun homicides per year. As stated by a Kleck-Gertz study, 15. 7% of people who were involved in a DGU (Defensive Gun Use) said they almost certainly saved theirs or someone else"s life. In addition to that, Another 14. 6% said they probably saved a life. This means 800, 000 lives are saved by guns. Murder rates show that about 73% of murders are with guns, And 27& other weapons. If we take those rates and plug them in for the weapon used by the offender in DGU's, Over 200, 000 lives are saved even if the bad guy didn't have a gun! This majorly outnumbers gun murders.

"The idea that, Faced with an armed intruder who is ready to shoot, You will get you gun, Ensure it is loaded and then overpower the intruder, When all he will have to do is aim and shoot shows it's limitations. "
This is what concealed-carry is for in public, And people are trained very well to react to situations. They also commit crimes 14% less than police! That is how law-abiding and safe they are. You would hear somebody try to break in. They wouldn't know where you are, Either. You have plenty of time to get a gun if you hear somebody break in, Especially if it is near you or you have it on your body.

"It is just a statistical fact that guns are much more likely to be used to kill yourself or a member of you family than an intruder- ACCIDENTAL deaths by gunshot are more prevalent than defensive, In-home shootings. "
Suicide is not an excuse to take away my basic right to own a firearm. There is a plethora of things you can do to commit suicide, Besides. There are 505 instances of accidental deaths. People need to earn how to be responsible gun owners, Teach kids about gun safety, And make sure they don't have access to a gun. Why are you making this comparison? Only 30, 000 of intruders into homes have a gun, And it is most likely that households did not have a gun. How about comparing all self-defense uses, Not just homes?

"The fact that you have encouraged a gun society now means the chance of an intruder being armed are much higher, And the chance of being shot by police are MANY times higher than in countries with strict gun control. "
Probably because criminals are using guns improperly. If guns are banned, People will get illegal guns, Or use other weapons such as knives, But people will be defenseless. What if there is a school shooter? Who do you rely on to protect you? Gun bans have proven not to be effective decreasing murder rates in England, Australia, And even cities in America(https://crimeresearch. Org/2013/12/murder-and-homicide-rates-before-and-after-gun-bans/)
Posted by asta 3 years ago
asta
They forfeit because they get convinced (possibly).
Posted by asta 3 years ago
asta
@ LoveRichardDawkins

If you leave the site, The site becomes more conservative. It became conservative possibly because liberals left the site at very high rates.
Posted by Our_Boat_is_Right 3 years ago
Our_Boat_is_Right
Are you kidding me? Why do so many people FORFEIT? If you are not going to finish your rounds, DO NOT acccept the debate! Too many of these types of debates. It NEEDS TO STOP!
Posted by Our_Boat_is_Right 3 years ago
Our_Boat_is_Right
Unfortunately, I can't debate that topic, As I am also pro-unicorn.
Posted by TRUMPMAGADONALD 3 years ago
TRUMPMAGADONALD
People of the U. S. A. Have a weird mentality. Historically, There have been least homicides in the U. S. A. When they had least gun control, Least drug control, Least alcohol control.
The opposite has been the case in Australia. I guess cultural differences have to be taken into account.
Posted by TRUMPMAGADONALD 3 years ago
TRUMPMAGADONALD
I disagree. Therefore, No one is allowed to have that opinion.
Posted by 32doni32nido32 3 years ago
32doni32nido32
I'm Pro-unicorn. Change my mind.
Now.
Do it.
You have no choice.
If you don't change my mind you lose.
Posted by Our_Boat_is_Right 3 years ago
Our_Boat_is_Right
Also the majority of debates are forfeited and never updated, Or resulting in a tie because of no votes at all.
Posted by Our_Boat_is_Right 3 years ago
Our_Boat_is_Right
http://www. Debate. Org/polls/what-should-be-done-about-gun-control

Why do you care about the votes? It is supposed to be a discussion between two people, And honestly I don't care if I lose, I just care about the quality of my arguments, Which ones were facts based and logical, And what i could improve on next time. Don't let voters get in your head. You might disagree with voters, But who cares?
This may also be because conservatives are more active voters on this website, And explore debates that are not always there own. Just have a discussion and rationalize your position; disregard the voters.
If you are uncomfortable with the outcome of a debate, Can we message directly or do it in these comments?
And yes, Sorry about the spelling, Was typing fast and not correcting anything :)
Thanks
Posted by LoveRichardDawkins 3 years ago
LoveRichardDawkins
I"m amazed that you are so triggered you continue to post comments weeks after the last comment.

I care about facts too. And the fact is that this is an ultra conservative debate forum. Therefore it is biased against liberals like me and the result of our debate on guns would not be a fair reflection on the quality of our arguments but merely one on the bias of this site.

There are many polls on this site. Find me a single one which has a majority pro gun control result.
It takes a lot to offend me. I"m a Bill Maher liberal.

Ps You also need to improve your spelling.