Our_Boat_is_Right
alitar

I'm Pro Gun: Change my Mind

Our_Boat_is_Right

Our_Boat_is_Right

Pro

I support conceal-carry and the right to protect against a tyrannical government.
alitar

Con

I accept this argument,

I would like to point out that the myth that if everyone is armed crime will decrease. This is untrue in fact if you are armed during a shooting and you try to retaliate, You have a greater chance of dying. I will await any future arguments from my opponent and try my best to refute them.
Our_Boat_is_Right

Pro

I don't think everyone should be armed. I still believe in background checks and mental-illness screening. So, If I have a gun and try to stop the shooter, I will have a greater chance of dying than if I didn't? Please explain the logic behind that.

Gun bans have proven not to be effective, Such as in britain, Austrailia, Etc.

Guns save far more lives than they take.

Violent crime has decreased by 50% over the last 27 years. During this time, Concealed-carry went up.
alitar

Con

Hello Pro,

Sorry for the confusion, You have a greater chance of dying because armed people are more likely to put themselves in harms way to be a hero.

Other than that you actually changed my mind. I concede
Our_Boat_is_Right

Pro

It is better to do that than not, Because you could potentially stop the shooter, Instead of no one stopping him and letting him shoot whoever. Plus, You are doing it for the greater good saving a bunch of people, Instead of saving only yourself. If I was in that position, I would not hesitate to take that risk.

I'm glad I could change your mind. I will provide you with sources if you would like. I ask you to please finish out the rounds so it does not result in a forfeit so people can vote.

I would like to thank con for being so civil and humbly admitting I changed his mind.
alitar

Con

Just finishing this post so people can vote
Our_Boat_is_Right

Pro

ok me too
alitar

Con

just finishing argument
alitar

Con

Great debate on your side
Posted by Our_Boat_is_Right 3 years ago
Our_Boat_is_Right
Thank you con!
Posted by alitar 3 years ago
alitar
Hello Pro, I agree with you completely. Thank you for being so civil and polite. I hope more people on sites like this learn from people like you that being rude only inspires bitterness and that debate is a good way to open people's minds.

From
Con
Posted by Our_Boat_is_Right 3 years ago
Our_Boat_is_Right
"Changing Minds, One person at a time. " -Our_Boat_is_Right

This is my new motto. I have changed minds before as well a few times, But this is the first official time on DDO. I have debated other people on DDO, And even if I clearly changed their mind, They would keep going in circles and not admitting it. This is the result of asking tough questions and rebutting to statements. If you are civil on a debate and always are polite, People will be the same way back, Usually. This causes for people to be more open-minded about the topic at debate. It happens to me, Too. This debate is one example. Con was very polite in the first round and second, And therefore I was polite back and thanking him for his civility, Which causes a productive discussion.
Vote Placed by dsjpk5 3 years ago
dsjpk5
Our_Boat_is_RightalitarTied
Reasons for voting decision: Concession.
Vote Placed by tejretics 3 years ago
tejretics
Our_Boat_is_RightalitarTied
Reasons for voting decision: Con concedes.