Our_Boat_is_Right
martinpaloncy

I'm Pro Gun: Change my Mind

Our_Boat_is_Right

Our_Boat_is_Right

Pro

I believe in the right to conceal-carry in public, As well as protection against a tyrannical government. Feel free to try and change my mind. *BE COMMITTED TO THE DEBATE, NO FORFEITS PLEASE! *
martinpaloncy

Con

Then please explain to me why you think this is right is worth so many lives. In 2014 A little over 8, 000 gun homicides in the United States alone. Of course, One could never prevent people completely from homicides, Murder and other gun-related crimes. However if we compare the situation to Great Britain. The gun homicide rate in England and Wales is about one for every 1 million people, According to the Geneva Declaration of Armed Violence and Development, A multinational organization based in Switzerland. Considering the population of 56 million, That adds up to about 50 to 60 gun killings annually. In the USA, By contrast, There are about 160 times as many gun homicides in a country that is roughly six times larger in population. Have you personally profited from this 2nd-amendment-right so tremendously, That you'd sacrifice this many more lives to keep it?
Our_Boat_is_Right

Pro

You are looking at it the wrong way. OK, Lets look at G. B. (great Britain) and America. Sure, We can use whatever statistic you want, I'll believe it. Apparently you say 1 gun homicide every million people, While in America there are many more. The problem with this is that it isn't conclusive to just compare gun homicide rates, As there are other factors that contribute to those. In other words, Each country is different. What I would compare is the overall homicide rate(not just guns) before and after the gun ban. In the U. K. , Homicides spiked up after the gun ban, And eventually subsided to about the same as the pre-ban rate. This is the same for places such as Ireland, Jamaica, And even places in America who have the highest violent crime rates like Chicago or Washington, D. C. (https://crimeresearch. Org/2013/12/murder-and-homicide-rates-before-and-after-gun-bans/)

Also, There are over 2. 5 million defensive gun uses per year, Compared to 10, 000 gun homicides, Which indicates guns save far more lives than take them. So for your last question the answer is, I am saving lives by fighting for the 2nd amendment, Not taking more lives.
martinpaloncy

Con

martinpaloncy forfeited this round.
Our_Boat_is_Right

Pro

I am genuinely shocked DDO finally is back! New fonts and everything on debate typing, And finally the system updates the debates! Hooray! I guess now I automatically win since con forfeited, Even though i explicitly stated no to except if you are going to forfeit. I wish their was a setting while creating a debate that requires an amount of time you have to be on DDO to accept. I will rebuttal to con if he posts again, Even though he has technically already forfeited.
martinpaloncy

Con

martinpaloncy forfeited this round.
Our_Boat_is_Right

Pro

Good thing I am able to win this debate
martinpaloncy

Con

martinpaloncy forfeited this round.
Our_Boat_is_Right

Pro

Vote pro!
martinpaloncy

Con

martinpaloncy forfeited this round.
Posted by asta 3 years ago
asta
They get convinced.
Posted by Our_Boat_is_Right 3 years ago
Our_Boat_is_Right
Can someone please explain to me why people never finish their rounds? This guy joined DDO two days ago and hasn't been on since. Can anyone suggest a debate setting that can fix this? Thanks.
Posted by Devilsadvocate178 3 years ago
Devilsadvocate178
People who state the amount of gun deaths in America as an argument against 2A make me want to vomit. More than 60% of those gun related deaths are SUICIDES. Banning guns anywhere else hasn"t worked and it has turned into a domino effect. . . . Cascading down into banning knives and other "lethal objects" that conservatives have always joked about but never saw actually happening. There is a knife ban in the UK. They mayor of London is now banning the use of vehicles in certain areas. And Tijuana banned PLASTIC BAGS due to the insane number of homicides. We already have laws in place concerning guns. The problem is PEOPLE WHO don't CARE ABOUT BREAKING THE LAW. We have laws against robbing people at gun point. . . . Laws against killing people. . . . Laws against rape. . . Laws against felons having firearms. Yet we still have armed robbery, Murder, Rape and felons running around with firearms. Making new laws will not stop anything when the laws we ALREADY HAVE are not abused by and in many cases not enforced.
Posted by Block19 3 years ago
Block19
I agree that you should have the ability to defend yourself, However you should be trained and when and where to use your firearm. Don't be trigger happy, Your first instinct should be to avoid danger or conflict not escalate it. Secondly if it seems like the other person or group is not willing to deescalate then try leaving the area. If they do not allow you to leave safely or are following you then feel free to safely take out your firearm and issue a warning. If they persist or are attempting to harm you or someone else, Then feel free to shoot the target while being mindful of your surroundings.
Posted by 32doni32nido32 3 years ago
32doni32nido32
As a person who is and will forever be short, I am and can be viewed as an easy target. Though I do not like the idea of shooting someone, In my case having a gun could save my life. I'm not exactly the. . . Toughest of guys either, Giving me another disadvantage in a situation where I could potentially be harmed.
Posted by Block19 3 years ago
Block19
The British had about 50, 000 men in their standing army, 30, 000 hired mercenaries, And 171, 000 sailors. The colonial army had over 200, 000 soldiers many of which had previously fought in the French and Indian war, 50, 000 sailors, Not to mention a big help from both France's and Spain's army/navy. All america had to do was hold out long enough for public opinion in England to change and their depleted troops to be pushed back.

A battle between the United States Army and armed civilian insurgents would not last very long. The army has all of the advantages and an armed populous would only have the ability to hide among the other civilians not in conflict.
Posted by Our_Boat_is_Right 3 years ago
Our_Boat_is_Right
That is an opinion. I am talking about a war against a armed populous. Looked what happened in the revolutionary war. An untrained American populous won against the best trained British army.
Posted by Block19 3 years ago
Block19
Do you really believe that the government is afraid to come after an individual citizen just because they are armed? I promise you they are far more worried about their public image than they are to think one person could pose a threat. If they really did think someone was threat to them or the public, They could be armed to the teeth and still not stand a chance.
Posted by asta 3 years ago
asta
Yes, But remember when we debated on Trump? You won merely because I had failed to change your mind. Even you deemed the vote illegitimate. Since neither of us liked that vote which happened on the basis of the title, The title should be changed to avoid repeating history.
Posted by Our_Boat_is_Right 3 years ago
Our_Boat_is_Right
asta why? It's just a grabber. I welcome people to change my mind if it is a convincing argument, Which so far have debunked all of them.
Vote Placed by zhaod1 3 years ago
zhaod1
Our_Boat_is_RightmartinpaloncyTied
Reasons for voting decision: Our_Boat_is_Right Just because the contender doesn't believe guns should be a right doesn't mean he wants a gun ban. However, martinpaloncy forfeited most of the rounds, which is poor conduct.
Vote Placed by dsjpk5 3 years ago
dsjpk5
Our_Boat_is_RightmartinpaloncyTied
Reasons for voting decision: Con ff more than half of the rounds.