Our_Boat_is_Right
DonnyBoi

I'm Pro Gun: Change my Mind

Our_Boat_is_Right

Our_Boat_is_Right

Pro

I believe in the basic right to self-defense. Present your arguments in round one.
DonnyBoi

Con

It's good to be pro-gun. I feel like some weapons, Every citizen should have.
But, That's too an extent.

I feel like handguns and some shotguns should only be legal for normal citizens to carry/own. This doesn't include hunting rifles, Which should only be attained after attending many classes on guns and gun safety.

Automatic rifles, SMGs, Those sort of things, Just shouldn't even exist. They don't serve any purpose. You don't need an AK-47 to defend yourself from a home invader.

Although, If someone owns a legally shooting range, I feel like it'd be O. K for those really lethal guns to be used. Because in all honesty, They're fun to shoot.

So I get you get what I'm saying. I think the majority of weapons should be banned, While the other half remains legal.
Our_Boat_is_Right

Pro

"Automatic rifles, SMGs, Those sort of things, Just shouldn't even exist. They don't serve any purpose. You don't need an AK-47 to defend yourself from a home invader. "

Automatic rifles have been banned since 1930. No questions asked here, Except an AK-47 is not an automatic, But semi-automatic, Like any other gun. Why shouldn't an AK be legal?

UPDATE: Although I can't verify my email-address, I now can post arguments, But can not comment on anything.
ASTA IS IN TROUBLE AS WELL. HE CAN'T LOG INTO HIS ACCOUNT BECAUSE DDO WON'T LET HIM. LOOK AT MY PROFILE INFO, AND CONTACT ME VIA PHONE OR EMAIL, SO WE CAN GET ASTA BACK IN HERE.
DonnyBoi

Con

Your rebuttal was quite bad.

The only thing you asked me was why should the AK-47 be banned.

It should be banned because it serves no purpose among the normal civilian. It'll be used more for bad then good. Most self defenses are done with knives/handguns. Not an AK-47, Which is extremely lethal if in the wrong hands.
Our_Boat_is_Right

Pro

"The only thing you asked me was why should the AK-47 be banned. "

. . . Because that's the only thing i disagreed with

Do you have statistics on how many murders are done with ak-47's? Because according to my source, Less than 300 gun murders per year are done with ANY type of rifle. Why would we bn them when they don't do harm? People can choose to hunt with them, Home-defense, And most importantly to protect against a tyrannical government. I don't know about you, But I would we toast trying to shoot authorities with a gosh darn pistol.
DonnyBoi

Con

DonnyBoi forfeited this round.
Our_Boat_is_Right

Pro

Vote Pro1!
DonnyBoi

Con

DonnyBoi forfeited this round.
Our_Boat_is_Right

Pro

Vote Pro!
DonnyBoi

Con

DonnyBoi forfeited this round.
Posted by Our_Boat_is_Right 3 years ago
Our_Boat_is_Right
lol the reason I don't want to respond is because I typically debate this with people who don't know anything about it so it doesn't take as long, And I have over 4 debates going on right now, And this would be another I have to think about. I'd rather get my thoughts together in an actual debate, Instead of blabbering in a comment section.
Posted by armoredcat 3 years ago
armoredcat
rekt
Posted by Block19 3 years ago
Block19
To be fair we can not compare the colonial army fighting the British army to armed american civilians fighting against the United States, Not when aerial, Communication, And reconnaissance superiority exist. However i would also doubt that, Barring some radical uprising, The U. S. Army would turn against its people.
Posted by McSloth 3 years ago
McSloth
I suppose that's fair, A comment section is probably not suited for this kind of discussion and in the future, I'll try and present my arguments and points in a more broken up manner.
Posted by Our_Boat_is_Right 3 years ago
Our_Boat_is_Right
No, You may be right about my one example, But I'd rather disect it when it's broken up into parts, Not paragraphs. I don't want to do the work. It is your comment. If you simply fixed it to be easy to read, I could evaluate your claims.

And this is a comment section. Don't want to get to heated in a comments section.
Posted by McSloth 3 years ago
McSloth
So you're not going to respond to the points I mind because there is no spacing? Sounds like you just don't want to have to respond to points that disagree with you.
Posted by Our_Boat_is_Right 3 years ago
Our_Boat_is_Right
I'm not going to respond to all of this, As it is very hard to read essays of text with no spacing per subject.

"And what is this possible threat that could take shape in the next 50-100 years? Do you have any evidence to support such a claim? "

America could radically be changed in a time period of 50 years. That far down the line, A possible threat is always there. I am not saying it is likely, But it is plausible. I do not have any evidence, Except the history of many other nations who went tyrannical.
Posted by McSloth 3 years ago
McSloth
The German army did not follow the just war theory, They were an imperialistic army at heart and would follow the orders of the leader blindly, Because that is what they were trained to do. Our soldiers are not trained the same way and in the modern military education for U. S. Officers, They have classes that cover the just war theory, And the idea of "legal orders". To compare the of Germany's military in the 1940s and the modern U. S. Military is just ridiculous. And ah yes the Revolutionary War, Were a rag tag of militia fought of the super power of the era. You're just forgetting the fact that without the French the war would have been over before you could yell "Mercia". The French supplied men, Funds, Supplies, Arms, And advisers that made the war even possible. Not to mention if it wasn't for the French tieing up the majority of the British forces with their own war at the time, The Colonies would have seen a massive influx of British troops that would of defeated old George in no time. This isn't even covering the importance of the French Navy during the war, Which saved us time and time again. So your example falls a little short, And you think that a resistant movement would kill many soldiers? What's stopping the U. S. Military from carpet bombing areas of unrest? Or rolling tanks down streets to suppress neighborhoods that are getting a little out of hand? If they do that no real harm towards soldiers right? Not to mention the U. S. Military with the help of the CIA and FBI could easily identify the leaders of said resistant movement and eliminate them before they even become a real threat to the new tyrannical government, With the level and complexity of surveillance systems in the modern age, This would be a cake walk. In other words the U. S. Government's evil twin would walk over any attempt at resistance. And what is this possible threat that could take shape in the next 50-100 years? Do you have any evidence to support such a claim?
Posted by Our_Boat_is_Right 3 years ago
Our_Boat_is_Right
Hitler would kill his soldiers if they retaliated against him. And yes, Look what happened in the Revolutionary War. An untrained militia beat the best British army. Guns would certainly help stop them and kill many soldiers, Which could stop the process of tyranny, And the threat of the populous being armed is a deterrent itself. Obviously I don't think a tyranny would happen soon, But there could be a possible threat in the next 50-100 years.
Posted by McSloth 3 years ago
McSloth
The whole "defending against a tyrannical government" argument is just ridiculous in my opinion. If they United States Government did lose its mind, Chances are the military would not blindly follow orders of a now tyrannical government. The U. S. Military has a fairly strong tradition of following just war theory, And following an evil government doesn't really fall into said theory. Not to mention if the military did listen to the government for whatever reason, Do you really think your assault rifles and 2nd amendment militias are going to stop the U. S. Military?
Vote Placed by dsjpk5 3 years ago
dsjpk5
Our_Boat_is_RightDonnyBoiTied
Reasons for voting decision: Con ff over half of the rounds. This is poor conduct.