Our_Boat_is_Right
briannaxrice

Im Pro-Gun: Change my Mind

briannaxrice has forfeited round #2.
Updated: 2 years ago Status: Debating Period

Our_Boat_is_Right

Pro

Opponent, please start in round 1 and attempt to change my mind.
briannaxrice

Con

People may say, "Gun control doesn't work," but it certainly does. Countries with stricter gun control than the US nearly all have far fewer gun deaths and a lower murder rate. The exceptions are generally places where government is so ineffective they could be called a fail state. Meanwhile, the states with the worst rates of gun murders are states with lax gun control. And, in places with strict gun control but high levels of gun violence. Guns are easily obtained and transported from neighboring states like Michigan and Indiana, or Virginia and West Virginia, with some of the most relaxed gun restrictions on Earth
Our_Boat_is_Right

Pro

I do not know where you are getting statistics from. According to the CDC, murders spike up when gun control laws are placed(https://crimeresearch.org...). In addition violent crime and murders go down 50% according to the FBI where people were allowed to conceal and carry(http://www.gunfacts.info...). Guns save far more lives in America than take them(http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com...). I did my own math, and according to the Gleck-Kurtz study, 15.7% of people said they almost certainly saved their's or someone else's life in their defensive gun use, which are about 2.5 million a year according to the CDC. In addition, a other 14% said they "probably" would have saved a life if it weren't for their DGU. Since I want to be very conservative with my numbers, I'll assume everyone of the "probably" people are wrong. That means that at minimum, even if their are only 1 million DGUs, 157,000 lives are saved by guns. Using the CDC 2.5 million DGU statistics, almost 400,000 lives are saved by guns. That is far more than gun deaths and gun homicides.
Posted by thumbnailunavailable 2 years ago
thumbnailunavailable
hello!
could the contender be so nice as to post the sites where she obtained that information from? as i believe those statistics may be outdated or incorrect