Leaning
Anonymous

Immortality more than any other value?

Leaning

Pro

I would prefer to debate someone who does not believe in any afterlife, Since the existence of an afterlife would make this debate pointless. And would turn this into a debate about the existence of said afterlife rather than the debate that I want.

I say, More than any other value. The value of living of life, Of finding ways to continue said life are of greater value than any other option.

I can understand how in older days life might not have as high value, After all. , What way was there to avoid it? If you're going to die anyway it is noble to sacrifice your life for others or some ideal.

But now? After all that we have seen accomplished in science and history in mankind's life and struggle. We may not have a way to stop aging at the moment, Cancer, Or disease. But does that mean we cannot acquire it? That we have stopped and stalled at this moment in existence? Reached our limits?

I say no. I say that the future may be within our fingertips. One cannot grasp it without effort or attempt, And perhaps in the end we would fail. But a person who possess will, Ought to try, If he can. If not immortality now. Then cryogenics and an organization truly built to fulfill it's oath to bring one frozen to the future. Better though immortality now though, If possible.

If you accept this debate you accept debating with the "spirit" of what I intend by this argument. Voters are free to vote however they like without having to make some intricate argument to justify their vote, Although I would appreciate it if they are good sports and honest about it.

Con

i agree! You can say im leaning to your argument no pun intended

Pun: A joke exploiting the different possible meanings of a word or the fact that there are words that sound alike but have different meanings.
Leaning

Pro

I extend what I said in round 1.

Con

I do not believe in afterlife, But it is a worthy subject worth getting educated on. Perhaps I should look into it in the future and do research.

A. Life
A1 - I agree, Live life too the fullest.
A2 - Some people have this misconception of "YOLO" (you only live once) when no, You live everyday. You die once.

B. Avoiding life
B1 - One way to avoid life is if you were aborted which is very terrible.
B2 - Sacrificing your life I can agree to some extent. Perhaps some people deserve to get rescued in a house fire, But as for other people are a bad people, If I had a glass of water and if they were on fire, Instead of pouring the water on them, I'd drink it.
B3 - Is a sacrificial lamb noble? I think not! But, It could be! Or could it not be?

C. The struggle
C1 - Struggle part I can agree with. Life can suck.
C2 - It can really really suck.
C3 - Have we really reached our limits? Are we in a built in simulation? How would we ever know?

D. The future
D1 - Can one predict the future? Interesting theory. Perhaps in the future that may happen. Not sure how though. Worth doing some research.
D2 - Immortality. I see.
D3 - What if humans were immortal? Would that be good, Bad or indifferent?

Q: What do you call a cow with 2 legs?
A: Lean Beef.
Leaning

Pro

I personally see sacrifice as a noble quality in general. I rather think conventionally it is seen as a noble quality as well. Perhaps not by everyone, But commonly seen as noble.

I think people will generally appreciate another person who gives something up in an effort to help them. People will even imitate such an action themselves because they felt such a connection with it. Humans in general I often hope have succeeded most as collectives in tribes, Nations, And communities because of empathy and willingness to put aside what matters most to only themselves. Though I don't think sacrifice is a winning move in the sense of a single person, I do think we have empathy and sacrifice a bit hard wired into us and succeed as a society better for it.

I can still imagine us doing more, Still see us discovering and accomplishing more. Limit's not quite there yet. Simulation is a bit of a mind flip, But regardless we try to do the best where we are.

People make predictions of the future all the time.

If humans were immortal the goodness/badness of it would depend on your position.

Myself I identify it as good, For me. Because I identify my being dead as bad.

Con

I extend what I said in Round 2
Leaning

Pro

Eh, I still have nothing new to say really.

Con

me nither. Well now what?
Leaning

Pro

Eh, Not much else to say now really. When making this initially I thought 5 rounds was a bit excessive, But figured it wouldn't be too bad. If we had disagreed with each other, Maybe there would have been more to talk about. But ah well. Somehow that's an odd thought that there would be more to talk about if we had disagreed. Hmm maybe that isn't quite right. Anyway, Just kind of posting the last round without saying much myself.
Posted by Anonymous 3 years ago
DeletedUser
@omar if thats your mindset then ok
Posted by Anonymous 3 years ago
omar2345
@Thoht

"Will they deny treatments seeking to live only 70-80 years? "
I think they would change the words in their Religious book. Many words are lost in translation from Hebrew to English. For sure if they want to add certain word changes to fit their goals. Example: Instead of owning slaves they owned bond servants. Still meant they had human as property.

"I imagine at least some religious people will begin slaughtering people to get them sent to heaven. "
They do it now anyway. It might cause an increase if people are immortal.
Posted by Anonymous 3 years ago
omar2345
"no they are not. And yes they are bad because of their actions u blame the person and the actions not make an excuse for them saying it is their action and they can do good things it still does not take away from th fact that they have killed or rape someone"
So no one can be a good person from being bad?
Yes they did do the bad thing but when do you consider them eventually a good person? After x time not offending or something else entirely.
Posted by Anonymous 3 years ago
DeletedUser
and okay leaning i understand now
Posted by Anonymous 3 years ago
DeletedUser
"It should be you live apart from the days you die and are dead. "
ok if thats your peragative. Thats basically what i was saying

"Bad people are created by their actions. So if lets say the paedophile or murder repents and is morally good for the next five years is he/she a good person? "
no they are not. And yes they are bad because of their actions u blame the person and the actions not make an excuse for them saying it is their action and they can do good things it still does not take away from th fact that they have killed or rape someone
Posted by Anonymous 3 years ago
Thoht
The more interesting question is how will religious people handle it when we can make ourselves immortal. Will they deny treatments seeking to live only 70-80 years? Could that be considered suicide by their deity, Several of which frown on suicide. If there is no death, How does one get to heaven?

It'll be interesting to say the least. I imagine at least some religious people will begin slaughtering people to get them sent to heaven.
Posted by Anonymous 3 years ago
omar2345
@BossChick_23

"then thats the day u stop living. Like i said u live every day and you die once"
It should be you live apart from the days you die and are dead.

"and no there are bad people in this world, Matter of fact theres some evil people, Pedophiles, Murderers and etcetera"
Bad people are created by their actions. So if lets say the paedophile or murder repents and is morally good for the next five years is he/she a good person?
Posted by Anonymous 3 years ago
Leaning
@BossChick_23
Just another version of public nudity. If the site had rules against cursing, Then I imagine they wanted to not include nudity. Myself, Don't have a strong opinion, Just letting you know ban wouldn't surprise me.
Posted by Anonymous 3 years ago
DeletedUser
"How about the day you die or dead? "
then thats the day u stop living. Like i said u live every day and you die once

and no there are bad people in this world, Matter of fact theres some evil people, Pedophiles, Murderers and etcetera

sorry leaning if you find my profile picture offensive. I just like it im an open book
Posted by Anonymous 3 years ago
canis
So. Get lost. . Dreamers/religious people in any debate. . There is nothing to debate. . But your dreams.