Partial2Partials
Phenenas

In Frank Stockton's "The Lady or the Tiger," did she choose the tiger?

Phenenas has forfeited round #2.
Updated: 3 years ago Status: Debating Period

Partial2Partials

Pro

In Frank Stockton's "The Lady or the Tiger," a semi-barbaric king punishes people by putting them into an arena with two rooms. One room holds a tiger, who kills the criminal, whereas the other room holds a lady who is instantly married to the criminal. The king's daughter's lover is accused of a crime and must enter the arena. The daughter motions to one door in what the criminal believes is the door with the lady. However, it is uncertain if she motions to the door with the tiger to kill her lover and watch him be torn apart or if she motions to the door with the lady and watch him marry a woman the princess strongly dislikes. I believe that the princess motioned to the door with the tiger. First round is acceptance. Here are some rules:
1. Be polite.
2. Please at least make an attempt at correct English (mistakes will be tolerated.)
3. Use your own arguments.

Debate structure:
Round 1: Acceptance
Round 2: Opening/1st argument
Round 3: Refutal of 1st argument
Round 4: 2nd argument
Round 5: Refutal of 2nd argument/closing

I look foward to this debate.
Phenenas

Con

Very interesting debate topic! I accept, and await your first argument.
Partial2Partials

Pro

Before I begin debating, I would like to thank you for accepting. I hope we can have a good debate together. Now, onto the debate.

Let's look at this from the princess's point of view. She is most likely in a bad mood. Her father had, after all, sentenced her lover to a possible death. The princess could not take her anger out on her father, especially with the gender roles of Roman society (We know that the kingdom had employed some Roman policies, as they were "polished and sharpened by the progressiveness of his distant Latin neighbors.") Thus, she would have had to unleash her anger on her lover in the form of choosing the tiger. Also, upon describing the princess's moral dilemma, it is stated that she worries about what would happen if her lover got the lady much more often.

I look forward to your argument.
Posted by mosc 3 years ago
mosc
Don't have much luck at completing a debate. LOL