listenhere
Smug_Tomato

Is Alabama Or Clemson The Best College Program?

Started: 1/17/2019 Category: Sports

listenhere

Pro

I think Clemson has surpassed the Tide. The last 11 games Clemson has won by 20 points or more including the #3 and #1 ranked teams and this includes the Tide. That beats what the Tide has done. And Clemson did this with like a dozen freshmen and sophomores including their super talented QB. And they've won 2 out of the last 3 national titles.
Smug_Tomato

Con

Hello, This appears to be the first debate for each of us, So, Hopefully we don't make complete fools of ourselves. I will be arguing for why the Clemson Tigers' football program has not surpassed the Alabama Crimson Tide as the best college football program.

This is somewhat shaky, As, In many ways, The two programs are identical in the last 4 years. Both are 55-4 with 2 National Titles and 2 wins each head-to-head, Essentially making the two equal. In order to prove that Alabama is the better program, I will be equating both teams' success over the last decade (since 2009). This will show the disparities between the two programs and show that Alabama has simply been more dominant over a much longer period of time than that of Clemson. (The assertion here is quite vague, So I am assuming that we are debating the overall quality of each program, And not strictly this year). With that being said, I will start with both teams' overall record during this time span. Alabama holds a distinct advantage in this category, With a 127-13 record-- a win percentage of. 907 while Clemson, On the other hand, Has a 112-27, A. 805 win percentage over this period. Alabama also holds a slightly better bowl record over this period; 10-4 vs Clemson's 9-4. On top of this, Alabama has made the College Football Playoff in all 5 years of its existence, And has won at least one game in each year except for one (2014, The first year of the CFP). Clemson, Meanwhile, Has only made it to 4 CFP semi-finals, And won at least one game in 3 of them. In terms of consistency over the past decade, Alabama wins easily. They have won 5 of the last 7 National Championships, And have at least competed in the last 3. Since 2009, Alabama has spent 79 weeks as the number 1 team in the country according to the AP Poll. Clemson, In that same time span, Has only spent 9 weeks ranked as the number 1 team. On a greater level, Alabama has never been unranked since 2009, Having had appearances on all 162 polls that have come out, And has an average ranking of around 3. Clemson, Has only been on 128 polls (79%) in this time span, And has an average rank of around 9. Very impressive but not anywhere near Alabama.

Alabama also does better in producing NFL-level talent. They have had 76 players drafted into the NFL since 2009, While Clemson has only had 51. Alabama has had more success in producing NFL-level talent than Clemson as well. And at the NFL-level, Alabama has produced more successful talent, Than that of Clemson. This year, Alabama had more players voted into the NFL Pro-Bowl (4) than Clemson (1), Showing that Alabama not only produces more NFL prospects, But more high-end NFL talent as a whole.

My point is this, Clemson has certainly cemented its place as one of the top programs in the country, However, They have not surpassed Alabama as the best. Alabama has more championships, More CFP success, More bowl success, Has had more players drafted into the NFL, More high-level NFL talent, More time spent ranked on the AP Poll and more weeks spent as number 1 team on the AP Poll than Clemson. Alabama has simply been more dominant for a much longer time period than Clemson has, And thus, Are still the better program between the two.

I await your response.

https://www. Sports-reference. Com. . .
http://www. Nfl. Com. . .
http://www. Collegepollarchive. Com. . .
listenhere

Pro

listenhere forfeited this round.
Smug_Tomato

Con

It appears my opponent has forfeited this debate. So uh, Vote con I guess.
listenhere

Pro

listenhere forfeited this round.
Smug_Tomato

Con

Extended. Vote Con.
Posted by Smug_Tomato 3 years ago
Smug_Tomato
Figured it out. Had to submit it through my phone. Also one error. Alabama has been to the last 4 national championships, Not the last 3. Sorry.
Posted by Smug_Tomato 3 years ago
Smug_Tomato
I accepted the challenges, However, It doesn't appear to be sending my response. Guess we'll wait and see.
Posted by K_Michael_Tolman 3 years ago
K_Michael_Tolman
No one cares about sports. Apparently politics are funner to debate.