porcaroc
Eric567

Is Discrimination in America Still a Thing

porcaroc has forfeited round #3.
Updated: 3 years ago Status: Debating Period

porcaroc

Pro

I believe that there still is discrimination in America today.
Definition of discrimination
1a : prejudiced or prejudicial outlook, action, or treatment
racial discrimination
: the act, practice, or an instance of discriminating categorically rather than individually
This however does not include just race. It would include ethnicity, gender, sexual orientation and other types of discrimination. People who argue that there isn't usually only tend to see only one side of discrimination (usually race). Please argue back and tell me why you don't think there is discrimination in America.
Eric567

Con

Although many relish this idea, discrimination, is not still happening. When people talk about discrimination, it usually means they were kicked off a forum or a video game server for being ___, this is NOT "discrimination in America", as these communities are PRIVATELY OWNED, and is essentially the same as a friend kicking you out of his room. Businesses, Schools, and other institutions that practice discrimination are bashed by the public- and usually collapse as well, proving that discrimination does not exist publicly, and WHEN IT DOES HAPPEN, it has a MASSIVE backlash. Although you may argue "It still happens, so it still exists!" the only way to stop it from happening, is to become a totalitarianism and control everyone's lives from birth till death. As for the websites, forums and such, although there is much discrimination, this is not the U.S., Anyone from anywhere can create one of these servers, and kick who they don't like (which I believe they have the right to-it's theirs!).
The only instance I can think of that does not fall into these categories, is the banning of transgender people in the military- on which I apologize if I get information incorrect, I'm not very knowledgeable about this topic, as far as I'm concerned, yes, this is discrimination, but this is a very silly type of discrimination, when those transgenders talk to a recruiter, they don't have to say they are transgender, or identify as anything. Yes, they might feel discomfort, but if you truly wanted to serve your country, a little discomfort would mean nothing to you. And, the military is not going to actively try to eliminate you as a possible tranny, they're not blackshirts of some imperial America. So, as far as im concerned, public U.S. Institutions do not openly demonstrate textbook discrimination (eg. Gender, Ethnicity, Sexuality), and private institutions that do, have no real connection to the government, and/or are eventually closed by the displeasure of the public and media
porcaroc

Pro

First of all I would like to explain that this was not meant as an easy win but as a study I'm doing at school. I'd also like to thank my opponent for taking this argument. Now as for some of the points you have brought up:
1) By saying that people are being discriminated against means that discrimination exist. You have literally stated that in some sense you agree with me. But in some sense I will agree with you about private servers or forums but that is because I honestly don't believe you can discriminate against someone who you truly don't know anything about.

This is something I found that more or less agrees with you argument.
The supporters of the United States" recent record on minority rights say that according to federal law we are all protected equally. Though small amounts of racism and prejudice may still exist in America, the US"s laws and policies are made to "promote total equality". When looking at the country as a whole and saying that discrimination is still a problem is completely illogical, the small amount of discrimination that still exists in America is only in specific and small corners of the country ("Minority Rights: Do"").

This is what I found that argues against it.
In March 2016, the House BIll 2 was passed. This law stopped local governments in that state to pass their own laws to protect citizens from discrimination based on their gender identity, and sexual orientation. Supporters of this law say that anti-discrimination measures that this law is trying to prevent, like the one passed in Charlotte, North Carolina, violate the religious freedom of those who have moral beliefs on homosexuality. They say that these laws do not approve of discrimination but merely allows them to practice their freedom of religion which the government should not have the right to take away from them ("Religious Freedom Laws: Should"").
This here is a law that literally makes discrimination okay. It does not encourage it, but it basically says if it happens no one can do anything about it.
Eric567

Con

A dictionary definition of discrimination exists everywhere and is unstoppable unless you're a totalitarianism. Yes, but that is ALL people doing their OWN things, personal freedom of speech. However, the LEGAL definition of discrimination, under International law- does NOT exist in the united states. Most international law deals with racial discrimination, however it is quite obvious that is not the topic, quote: "Consistent with the provisions of the 1992 Minorities Declaration, the 2001 Durban Declaration and Programme of Action urged Governments to create favorable conditions and take measures that would enable persons belonging to minorities within their jurisdiction to express their characteristics freely and
to participate on a non-discriminatory and equitable basis in the cultural, social, economic and political life
of the country in which they live." Legally, under international law, under the Geneva Durban Review Conference, 2009, in PROTECTION OF THE RIGHTS OF PERSONS BELONGING TO NATIONAL, ETHNIC, RELIGIOUS AND LINGUISTIC MINORITIES, which is on the UNITED NATIONS WEBSITE- An organization that seeks justice for all humanity, The United States of America, is DISCRIMINATION-FREE! Although there may be private cases, as mentioned, such as the internet, or in households, businesses, etc. It legally doesn't count as discrimination, because the government creates favorable conditions and measures, to ensure any law-abiding, honest citizen does not discriminate. And therefore, since international law takes precedence over state laws (Perhaps not in the eyes of the state, but in the eyes of the world? Yes.) by legal definitions agreed upon by the finest decision makers and policy reformers from across the globe (which are usually elected by us, the people), There is no discrimination. There may be discrimination by Private entities of a different ideology, that is against the state, although not hunted down, officially, as far as I know.
Posted by DeepInThought 3 years ago
DeepInThought
Well Minddagger, we should give porcaroc the benefit of the doubt. I see that this would be a very easy victory for porcaroc, however I do see people on this sight say that discrimination is over all the time, when talking about race, anti feminism, or... well I've never seen anyone say that the LGBT, don't get discriminated against them, but I'm sure their out there. They could be the targets of this challenge.
Posted by Minddagger 3 years ago
Minddagger
ok, this isnt even a debate, OF COURSE THERE IS STILL DISCRIMINATION, are you trying to get an easy win