Nd2400
KGlife

Is Ice Hockey the best sport in the world?

Started: 12/26/2017 Category: Sports

Nd2400

Con

I will be arguing why Ice Hockey isn't the best sport in the world.
I will propose America Football is the best sport in the world.

Round one is acceptance only...
KGlife

Pro

Over the course of this debate, I will make the case for ice hockey: the best sport in the world.

Since my opponent has gone with American football, I will additionally attempt to prove why ice hockey is, in particular, superior to American football.

Thank you to my opponent for challenging me to this debate. I will proceed to defend my nation's dignity by defending our most popular sport.
Nd2400

Con

Hello KGlife, I wanted to thank you for this interesting topic. I love sports, this is why i accepted this debate. So, let get this going.

So you really think Ice Hockey is the greatest sport in the world. That's fine because that's your own opinion. I disagree with your on this. There are many sports that is better. To name a few such as America Football, Baseball, Soccer, and Basketball. But in this debate i will mostly focus on America Football.

In this round i will mainly focus on why Ice Hockey isn't the greatest sport in the world. Hockey is an extremely expensive sport to participate in, with ice time, gear, league fees, travel, and other expenses
"hockey, a sport that can cost unbelievable amounts of money for families, instead of basketball or soccer where all you need is a ball and some shoes". (1.) www.thesportster.com/hockey/top-10-reasons-hockey-isnt-more-popular-in-the-usa/
There other reason why Hockey is not a popular sport here in America not just the world. Like here in America their are so many sports that are more popular such as the NFL, The NBA, and Major League Baseball. And the world would have Soccer, basketball, and baseball that are more popular. "Hockey is in a difficult spot as players wear helmets and it cant be difficult to distinguish who is who on the rink". (2.) https://www.thesportster.com... And other sports you can point out their stars like Tom Brady, LeBron James, Bryce Harper. Hockey you can't point them out. Unless you a super fan. Another reason why it not as popular as other sports is its a cold weather sport, and cold weather most people hate or dislike. Another reason is the COVERAGE of the sport. "The biggest sports network in the world does not pay much attention to hockey".(3.) https://www.thesportster.com...

"The NFL especially spends (and earns) billions in order to promote their product, and so do MLB and the NBA. The NHL does not have the same kind of resources to promote the sport". (4.) https://www.quora.com...
The NFL is so popular in America because of their LEAGUE PARITY, GAMBLING, FANTASY LEAGUES, EXCITEMENT, football been called a thinking man game like such phases "chess game". You want more reason why the NFL is so big in America. Okay, 1. Major channels show the games
2. The games are heavily discussed in media channels
3. Scarcity
4. The parity that exists in NFL
5. The time left between games
6. Each game can determine the fate of a team.
7. Football became popular as TV did.
8. Football is popular in schools.
9. All teams get an equal share of money.
10. The extreme popularity of the Super Bowl event.
"The Super Bowl event has became so popular in the USA that more than 100 million people watch it. The event became more like a national holiday. The popularity of the Super Bowl helped fuel the popularity of football in turn". (5.) http://www.speeli.com...

Soccer is also very popular in the world, not Ice Hockey. Soccer is as big in the world view as America see the NFL. Ice hockey might be popular in cold areas, But it lack mainstream support. So, there for it not the greatest sport in the world.
KGlife

Pro

To begin with, I would like to rebuff some of my opponent"s points and explain why American football is not the best sport in the world.

"Hockey is an extremely expensive sport to participate in, with ice time, gear, league fees, travel, and other expenses"

Con definitely has a point here. Hockey can be a very expensive sport to play. I won"t disagree with you there. However, playing the sport is not the only way to enjoy it. The NHL is where the highest level of hockey is played, and many aspects of the league tend to make my opponent"s point about expense less meaningful.

If I want to see the top level of hockey, I go to see an NHL game. If I want to see the top level of American football, I go to see an NFL game. Prices between the average NFL ticket and the average NHL ticket are fairly similar; both being around $100. Therefore, it costs nearly the same amount to see the top level of either sport.

While buying equipment for ice hockey may be costly, many children will play road hockey instead. This provides a similar experience to ice hockey, without all of the expenses. My opponent will obviously refute this by explaining how road hockey and ice hockey are not the same, and I can therefore not compare them. However, I could say the same about American football. If American football is not played on a football field, I can make the case that it is not the same sport being played.

For example, when kids play football at recess, they are not usually playing on an actual football field; they are usually just using a large patch of grass. Additionally, there is usually a lack of uprights, which subtracts the element of field goals and one point conversions.

"""Hockey is in a difficult spot as players wear helmets and it cant be difficult to distinguish who is who on the rink""

To this I respond, is the same not true with football? Both hockey and football players wear heavy equipment and helmets. However, football players have hard metal cages over their faces. Hockey players usually only wear helmets, sometimes with visors. Only the goaltender wears a mask. I would make the case that it is more challenging to recognize a football player than a hockey player.

"And other sports you can point out their stars like Tom Brady, LeBron James, Bryce Harper. Hockey you can't point them out. Unless you a super fan"

To disprove this, I"m taking the two players who I consider to be the best at their respective sports: Wayne Gretzky for hockey and Tom Brady for American football. Google Ngram is a program that allows you to see how certain words appear in books. Words that appear in books often represent the lingo and word awareness of people at any given period of time. Even in 2008, Gretzky"s, who hadn"t played an NHL game in almost a decade, name has higher awareness than Tom Brady"s.
This disproves the idea that hockey players don"t have household names. Additionally, I am fairly certain that the average North American knows the names: Sidney Crosby and Connor McDavid, who are widely considered to be the best hockey players currently playing.

"Another reason why it not as popular as other sports is its a cold weather sport, and cold weather most people hate or dislike."

I can assure you that practically every hockey game played in a formal league is indoors. Spectators are sheltered from the cold and players have several layers of equipment as well as a jersey on, to prevent them from getting too cold.

Responses to your numbered list:
1 and 2 Major channels show NHL games, as well. Fox Sports and NBC Sports have the license to show NHL games, while ESPN broadcasted the World Cup of Hockey, last year. Additionally, there are panels on each of these networks that discuss hockey.

3. You mean hockey is scarce? There are 31 teams in the NHL, who all play 82 games per year. All of these games are broadcasted on television. In what way are they scarce?

4. You have a point here, but lately the New England Patriots have dominated the NFL. The NHL on the other hand, probably features the most parity in any major North American league. When the Pittsburgh Penguins won their second straight Stanley Cup, last year, it was the first time this had happened in almost 20 years. Additionally, the NHL has far more Cinderella stories. Last year, the eighth-seeded Nashville Predators team, swept the best team in the western conference in the first round of the playoffs, and went on a run to the Stanley Cup Finals. If this isn"t parity, what is?

5. How exactly does this benefit the NFL"s popularity?

6. The NHL standings are quite similar, except they take place over hundreds of games. Last year, in the eastern conference, the Toronto Maple Leafs edged the Tampa Bay Lightning and NY Islanders. They qualified for the playoffs with one more point than the ladders. If any of these teams had won or lost one additional game, the playoffs would look quite different.

To finish my points off, I will be pointing out some problems with American football, as my opponent did with hockey.

American football is an extremely dangerous sport to participate in. The following is an excerpt from an article that references a study that measures the effects football has on your brain.

"Frontline reported on numbers from the Department of Veterans Affairs and Boston University, where researchers studied the brains of 165 people who played football at the high school, college, or professional level. They found evidence of CTE in 131 of them"79%. Of the brains studied, 91 of them belonged to former NFL players, and 87 of those 91 (96 %) had signs of CTE."

As you can see, this study shows that 87 of the 91 NFL players studied show signs of CTE. With all of the students that play football at high school or college level, I find this incredibly concerning.

If we multiply the 1,696 players in the NFL, by 96%, this leaves 1,628 players with CTE. The concussion factor is an important issue with football. Now, hockey is not the safest of sports either. However, the danger of playing football far surpasses hockey.

Another reason football is inferior to hockey is due to international coverage. American football is extremely popular in the USA, but elsewhere, not so much. The reason football isn"t at the Olympics, is because the US would mop the floor with any other country. On an international stage, it has very little awareness. Because there are such a small amount of non-American NFL players, other countries will not be as enthusiastic. In fact, 96.5% of NFL players are American. In the NHL however, there is all kinds of diversity. In the NHL, only 23% of NHL players are American. This allows for all kinds of competitiveness on an international stage. Other significant percentages of NHL players, include: Canada, Sweden, Finland, Russia, Czech Republic and Slovakia. Unlike American football, hockey is popular all over the world, not just in North America.

And, because of American football"s similarity to sports like Rugby, Australian football and Gaelic football, it is unlikely to gain any sort of traction in Europe.

Lastly, in my opinion, football is just a boring sport to watch. An average NFL game lasts 3 hours and 12 minutes, only 11 minutes of which is actual gameplay. The other 3 hours and 1 minute consist of commercial breaks, walking around and playmaking. I know what the response will be here, of course. It"s part of the game. Yes, I can appreciate that the careful and delicate approach to creating the correct offensive or defensive formation can take a long time. But when 94% of the game is nothing but standing around and waiting, the sport is inherently flawed. Contrast this to ice hockey, where at least a full hour of action will occur.

Ran out of room, please view the rest of my argument here: https://docs.google.com...
Nd2400

Con

KGlife, you pointed out some interesting things here, but nothing i can't argued against. I will try to get to every point you posted.

Okay just to remind you, you are arguing on why Ice Hockey is the greatest sport in the world, not just trying to compared Ice Hockey and America Football. You failed on this level so far. Soccer, basketball and some other sports such as America Football are way more popular, and just better sports in general. Soccer dominant the world in popularity, and America Football dominant in the US. You want to know what is the top six sports in America? I can tell you it isn't Ice Hockey. Number one is American football.
Number two is Baseball.
Third is man's college football.
Fourth is Auto Racing.
Fifth is men pro Basketball.
And finally sixth is Ice Hockey. (5.) http://www.theharrispoll.com...
You want another run down but in the world view okay. You won't like it though.
One is Soccer / Association Football with3.5 Billion Estimated Fans. Second is Cricket with2.5 Billion fans. Third is Field Hockeywith 2 Billion fans. ( side note Field Hockey is way different than Ice Hockey). Not going to run down every sport in this list in this top ten." But you wanna know who tied are 9 and 10 its Basketball and America Football. Ice hockey didn't even make this list. (6.) http://www.topendsports.com...

I will now talk about ice hockey not getting Coverage or lack thereof. You mention Ice Hockey getting a contract with ESPN and are with MSNBC, and Fox SPORTS. But they both not National televised. ESPN has every major sport on their contract sheet. So, not really a big deal. Plus ESPN rarely put the NHL on. American football has all the national channels, such as FOX, CBS, NBC, and of course ESPN." Even the NBA has national televised contracts with ABC, ESPN, and TNT. MLB also has ESPN, TBS, FOX and Fox SPORTS. So again NHL is ignore in America. And to your point NHL is the top talented players in the world playing in one league, but it still not even mention, or just maybe a couple of sentences in their ESPN broadcast on a nightly basics.
So again you can't make a claim like you are trying to make with Ice Hockey being the greatest sports in the world if it can't even compete in the US." Sure you can say what about soccer, but soccer is in a different categories altogether. Firstly soccer don't bring their best players to the US." Like the NHL does. Soccer players play in Europe, and everywhere else. And in fact soccer is actually the number one sport in all of the world not Ice Hockey and not even America Football.

Oh just to point out number 5 on my list in round 2 Is important. NFL has fewer games in there schedule just add to there popularity because fans want more games, and having to wait a week or so to watch gather more viewer. Because fans can't get enough. So it add to there popularity. And you know why Hockey is
scarce? It's because it not as popular as football, and there are An ice shortage in high school and beyond. A scarcity of local rinks stunting the growth of high school hockey. American football does not have this problem, just about every high school has a football stadium. And the NFL has way better television ratings, than the NHL.

You went on to say this "American football is an extremely dangerous sport to participate in" really you went there. When in fact Ice Hockey is a very dangerous sport and more comparable to NFL with injury. "Both hockey and football are physical, contact sports that can be strenuous on the body" (7.) https://healthyliving.azcentral.com...
America have 18.8 injuries per 100 participants to compared the NHL it has 15.9 injuries per 100. (8.) https://healthyliving.azcentral.com...
"Young players are at significant risk for injury. Body-checking and aggressive play are associated with high frequency of game-related injury including concussion". (9.) http://journals.plos.org... You think going very fast on a single blade, hitting the wall or another player would not cause a serious injury would be nuts to think this.

To answer your respond on Google Ngram is a program. This doesn't disprove anything, the NHL only has one great player name Wayne Gretzky. The NFL has so many. Like Tom Brady, Peyton Manning, Jerry Rice, Jerry Bradshaw to name a few. You know why they are more well know than even Sidney Crosby and Connor McDavid, for many reason one because American football is more popular, the other is Hollywood. Football players get movie deals and they get sponsors form all over the business field, you see way more football players in commercial than any NHL players. More people know Wayne Gretzky because he played in Los Angeles, but he is the only one that people would know. In America not many people would know who Sidney Crosby is. Why because Hockey just isn't popular in America. People would know a lot more football players, because they play in the number one sport in America. And like i said hollywood has a big role in this as well.

Another big factor is ice hockey is way different than street hockey. One you have the equipment, then rolling on ice is way different, than rolling blading on the street and it take a lot of time to learn how to skate on ice. Now with basketball all you need is a ball and a hoop. In football all you need a football and a small area to play you can play 3 on 3. In soccer all you need is a ball. Ice Hockey you need a lot to actually play. This is why it's expensive to play.

America Football is actually growing in popularity in Europe. This is why the NFL has played 7 to 8 more games in London than previous years. London is selling out there games. America Football has worked with other leagues such as Association of Professional Football Leagues, the Atlantic Coast Football League, and most recently, the league owned-and-operated NFL Europe. We also have the Arena Football League. Sure America Football not in the Olympic yet because there is a competitive disadvantage for other countries. But that not to say it will never be there one day. Since America Football is starting to grow outside the United States. Again where is Ice Hockey in all of this. Oh right because it not mainstream enough to be even consider a top ten sport in the world. So your claim on Ice Hockey being the greatest in the world won't fly, if it can't even hold water.

And you being critical on the NFL is just your opinion. It not what most people think when watching the NFL. Why is the NFL, so popular if it's boring? Why America football the number one sport in America? I can also point out NHL is boring, not enough scoring is involve, you could barely see the picket move, because it goes to fast, and you don't know most of the players because they are not well know. I could go on and on this. And it would have merit because it has lower ratings and most people in the world don't follow ice hockey.

You still haven't prove Ice Hockey is the greatest sport in the world. There are way too many better sports out there and more popular sports out there.

Looking forward to hear your responses....
KGlife

Pro

Right, so as I said in the previous round, I was arguing why football wasn"t the best sport. My opponent said he would be arguing why American football is the best sport, and his first argument mainly consisted of why hockey isn"t the best sport, rather than promoting football. So, I fail to comprehend what point my opponent is making when he says I haven"t promoted hockey enough.

Anyways, now, I will proceed to explain why ice hockey is the best sport in the world. Now `the main points my opponent appears to be making, are that hockey is not as popular as other sports and is therefore inferior. I"m sorry, but this is quite a shallow understanding of what makes a sport good. Let"s just pretend for a minute, that staring at a rock is a sport. This sport will be called "Rockstaring."

Alright, so two competitors stare at a rock, and whoever looks away first wins. 2 billion people tune in, to watch this fantastic event take place. So by my opponent"s logic, rockstaring is now superior to American football, because more people watch it. The thing my opponent is ignoring, is that one is allowed to make a statement about the quality of a sport, without factoring in its popularity; at least to an extent. In fact, if my opponent is going by this logic, then he has already contradicted himself several times.

"One is Soccer / Association Football with3.5 Billion Estimated Fans. Second is Cricket with2.5 Billion fans. Third is Field Hockeywith 2 Billion fans."

My opponent has listed the 3 most popular sports in the world (which do not contain American football) but is still basing most of his argument around the fact that American football is more popular than hockey, and is therefore better. Well if those three sports are more popular than American football, then why are you arguing in favour of the ladder? By my opponent"s logic, these three sports are better. Additionally, it"s not like nobody watches hockey. The Stanley Cup Finals received over 32 million views over a 6 game series. Sure, it"s not at the same level as some other sports, but it"s still 32 million views.

At this point, I will get to why ice hockey is the best sport in the world. Just a warning, this argument will contain (drumroll) OPINIONS. Because it"s not really possible to explain why a sport is good, without linking attributes to aspects of a sport, opinionated statements have to be made.

Ice hockey simply provides the highest quality level, entertainment value and simplicity out of any sport on Earth. In my opinion, these are the three most important aspects a sport must have to be good.

Ice hockey is played on a sheet of ice rather than a field of grass, or a hard floor like most sports. This makes it faster, more untraditional and provides more of a challenge for players, making it all the more enjoyable to watch. Sports like football, basketball and baseball have an obscene amount of standing around and watching. Hockey keeps the action quick and exciting. A hard, crisp pass, a dump in, a shot, a big hit, a save. These are all things that happen quickly and often in hockey. The speed of the game adds to its beauty. In sports where the goal is to shoot something into the net, hockey is a whole new take. In soccer, most of the game is spent passing the ball up the field, waiting for an opportunity to open up. In hockey, this is impossible, due to the small rink size. If you stand around for too long, you will inevitably be checked and lose the puck. This is another factor that adds to the speed of the game. Because passing occurs so often, there are more mispasses, interceptions and bounces. This makes it more entertaining.

In a sport like basketball, a single player can ruin the element of basketball being a "Team sport." The NBA being a 30-team league is pointless. Almost every year, anyone can predict who the final 2-4 teams will be. For example, last year"s NBA playoffs featured the Warriors and Cavaliers basically sweeping their way to the finals, which wasn"t all that entertaining either. In the Stanley Cup Playoffs, the Pittsburgh Penguins won back-to-back cups (the first time in almost 2 decades this has happened) with the lowest seeded team in the playoffs sweeping the best team in the western conference, and going on a run to the finals.

Pittsburgh didn"t just plow their way to the finals either. They let go of a 3-1 series lead in the second round, and were taken to 7 games in the conference finals by the second lowest seeded playoff team in the conference. They then won a hard-fought 6 game series against said lowest seeded team in the playoffs, who had stunned everyone with their run to the finals. In short, the NHL playoffs is a rollercoaster ride. It is extremely challenging to predict who will end up on top in the end. There is no other sport that has the same level of skill and unpredictability as hockey.

"you could barely see the picket move, because it goes to fast"

Oh, come on man. Firstly, it is called a puck. Secondly, hockey is one of the easiest-to-follow sports in the world. Unlike football, where there are what? 4 different ways to score, hockey just has one: Shoot the puck into the net. Whoever does this more when the game is over, wins. Sure, there are offsides and icings, but these are both simple to explain. In football, there are touchdowns, field goals, two-point conversions, one-point conversions etc.

The fact that hockey is so simple, but so entertaining is a marvel.

There are also very few stoppages in a hockey game. Play can last up to minutes on end. Minutes of puck carrying, passing, hitting and shooting. Players and pucks are moving up the ice quickly. The added intensity from each play, miss or goal creates the perfect storm of excitement. This always has viewers on the edge of their seats.

Look, hockey, as well as every other sport, is a visual experience. Instead of me going over each and every reason why hockey is amazing, I"ll let you see it. Here is the context: The Toronto Maple Leafs haven"t made the playoffs in a full-length season in 15 years. In this game, they are trailing the Pittsburgh Penguins late in the third period. If they win the game, they make the playoffs. If they lose or go into overtime, the teams behind them have a chance to pass them and qualify for the playoffs. The Leafs are tied 3-3 against the Pens late in the third period. Just watch: https://www.youtube.com...

This is truly a testament to how great this sport is. It"s fast, it"s exciting and it"s beautiful.

Instead of making statements regarding hockey"s lack of viewership in some markets, I would like my opponent to find some internal flaws with the game in general. So far in the debate, my opponent has hardly listed any internal flaws with the game. This debate is over the quality of the sport, and is not simply a popularity contest.

Just to cap this off, I"d like to make some rebuttals to my opponent"s arguments:

America have 18.8 injuries per 100 participants to compared the NHL it has 15.9 injuries per 100. (8.)

I don"t know exactly how accurate these claims are, but either way, my opponent has ceased to mention the difference in concussion rates in the two leagues. In 1,271 NHL games that take place yearly, there is an average of 80 concussions per season. An NFL season consists of 256 games total. In 2016, there were 182 concussions over the NFL season. If we bring this to scale, if the NFL season was as long as the NHL season, then there would be about 904 concussions. This is 113% more than the yearly concussions in the NHL. This just goes to show how much more dangerous American football is than hockey. I"m not saying that hockey is necessarily safe. However, American football is significantly less safe.

"the NHL only has one great player name Wayne Gretzky"

Rest of argument: https://docs.google.com...
Nd2400

Con

Okay since this is the last and final round i wanted to thank you to KGlife for this debate. It has been fun.

Okay, now to a serious matter. I wasn't going to say anything at first but you did it again. With that i mean you went over the 8,000 character limit," you did it twice already the 2nd round and now the 3rd round. You agreed to the principal of this debate and you violated one of them so in definition i should win by default. So vote (Con).

The popularity issue is very important. You want to dismiss this because it doesn't help your argument on why ice hockey is the greatest sport. You staring at a rock theory, doesn't make sense to me. Let me tell you why because lets say what you said happen, and it gather millions or billions of views. Okay but that's only one time, most likely it won't happen again. Now with America Football and other more popular sports the viewership won't be a one time thing they get high ratings all the time. Ice Hockey doesn't. If ice hockey was as good as you claim it would have no problem getting the higher ratings. In sports you want the high ratings, why because it generate revenue the more revenue you get the better your sport business it will be. Plus if you get consistently high ratings it also means the product they producing is good And worth watching. Ice Hockey does not get the consistently in high viewership. In fact they not even close to soccer popularity in the world views, and barely in the top 6 in America sports. In fact the NFL is number 1 and college football is number 3 in America for popularity. So you see the popularity is very important. The average tv viewership in the millions was a 4.7 for a stanley cup in 2017. (10.) https://www.statista.com... while the lowest viewership for a NFL game between the Chargers vs. Broncos (ESPN) (week 1) was a 9.94. (11.) https://www.statista.com...; pretty sad isn't it. Numbers don't lie, people do. You need popularity for the sport to grow, the higher ratings means the more merchandise the sport sells. This is not what happening with the NHL. "2016-17 NHL ratings dropped in U.S., rose in Canada, reversing recent trend". (12.) http://awfulannouncing.com... lets face it NHL need the popularity to grow in the United States, in order for ice hockey to grow globally. Why the United State we'll because it is the longest economy in the world.

Another problem my opponent seem to have is the title of this debate "is Ice Hockey the best sport in the world?" not just arguing the NFL against the NHL. Sure i said my main focus is the NFL, but i also said other sports will be brought in to further my evidence. Your job was to argued ice hockey is the best in the world not just trying to say it better than the NFL. And so far my opponent haven't prove anything like this.

You mention all those hockey players names and not one of them i know." And I'm a huge sports fan. Not to sound or be disrespectful, but those names not house hold names. I heard of NBA greats, Baseball greats, and yes America football greats. Why because these sports i just mention are just bigger in popularity. You heard of LeBron James, to even back to the 1980's of Larry Bird and Magic Johnson. You heard of Mike Trout, Bryce Harper and names like Babe Ruth to Sandy koufax and Jackie Robinson. Then you heard of Tom Brady, Payton Manning, to Jarry Bradshaw, to Jarry Rice. And most people would know who they are, and which sports they played for. Why because they are play for the mire popular sport. Wayne Gretzky is the one who people would know. And lot of that was because he played in Los Angeles. If he didn't play there he probably would not be as well known.

Oh yeah the reason why i brought up the best top ten sports in the world was to point out that Ice Hockey wasn't no where in there and the NFL was tied at 9 and 10. So it was relevant.

I will admit Hockey is a good sport, just not the greatest sport like you wanted to claim. I watch hockey sometimes and that's only if the los Angeles Kings play in the playoffs. The playoffs where the game of hockey get more intensify, and more physical. But you can have the same argument with all sports. Once the playoffs comes everything get more physical, and more intense. I will also admit it better being at the hockey game. It better than watching it on tv. But again this goes to most sports. It usually better being there.

You are right on the NFL being more dangerous. But i didn't said NHL was more, i was just saying NHL was comparable to the NFL injuries. And just because the NFL is more dangerous doesn't mean fans are turning off the game. It still the most popular sport in american and growing outside their boarder.

I'm not going to give a full detail response on your opinion about hockey. Because its your opinion, and this is how you feel. So there really not much for me to say there. I could give reason why i like the game of the NFL, but i feel this really not necessary to address why i like or think about Football. Just knowing the game of football is the number one sport in all of America. And knowing soccer in overall the most popular sport in the world and knowing ice hockey isn't even in the top 10 rest my case.

Ice hockey isn't the greatest sport in the world, and it not even close. The NFL is much closer to this claim. Oh yeah one more i will say again popularity really does matter. If you get low tv ratings it won't last long. The NHL is has consistently getting low ratings and this doesn't help the sport grow. It does has loyal fans, but it just small compare to the NFL size and even smaller than soccer. So just by fans sizes it has a huge up hill to climb. And if it has to climb then by definition if it not on top then it at the bottom or at the middle. So there for not the greatest sport in the world.

Thank you again KGlife, this was a good debate....
KGlife

Pro

Once again, before I get to my main point, I will once again refute several of my opponent's statements.

"The popularity issue is very important. You want to dismiss this because it doesn't help your argument on why ice hockey is the greatest sport. "

I have a proposal that I hope will get this popularity obsession out of my opponent's head. From the outside, hockey looks unusual. It's played on ice, the uniforms are strange and it doesn't seem fit to play in warmer areas.

But look at what happened in Nashville last year. When they made the Stanley Cup Finals, tens of thousands of fans lined up outside to watch the game on a big screen. That season, they sold out every home game and have done so ever since. Nashville, a city in the southern USA, became a hockey town. They were given a successful team to cheer on, and they fell in love with the sport. Perhaps this suggests something about popularity that my opponent hasn't considered.

Cities in the south haven't been bombarded with hockey like they have been with football. They're not aware of hockey as a possibility. Cities like Nashville, however, prove this is changing. Hockey is rightfully gaining popularity. With several leagues in Europe (and elsewhere) hockey is growing.

"You staring at a rock theory, doesn't make sense to me. Let me tell you why because lets say what you said happen, and it gather millions or billions of views. Okay but that's only one time, most likely it won't happen again."

My opponent clearly does not understand what I was saying. The point behind this, is that you are basing your entire argument around popularity, without taking anything else into consideration. If rockstaring was consistently more popular than American football, I'm sure you would agree this does not automatically make it better. Unfortunately, you really haven't made any other argument throughout this entire debate. I'm sorry to hammer away at this, but you can't declare that one sport is better than another without referring to the very things that make a sport good. Sure, popularity matters. But that alone does not make one sport better than another.

"Ice Hockey does not get the consistently in high viewership. In fact they not even close to soccer popularity in the world views, and barely in the top 6 in America sports. In fact the NFL is number 1 and college football is number 3 in America for popularity. So you see the popularity is very important. The average tv viewership in the millions was a 4.7 for a stanley cup in 2017. (10.) https://www.statista.com...... while the lowest viewership for a NFL game between the Chargers vs. Broncos (ESPN) (week 1) was a 9.94. (11.) https://www.statista.com......; pretty sad isn't it. Numbers don't lie, people do. You need popularity for the sport to grow, the higher ratings means the more merchandise the sport sells. This is not what happening with the NHL. "2016-17 NHL ratings dropped in U.S., rose in Canada, reversing recent trend". (12.) http://awfulannouncing.com...... lets face it NHL need the popularity to grow in the United States, in order for ice hockey to grow globally. Why the United State we'll because it is the longest economy in the world."

So is anyone else noticing a trend here? My opponent has nothing to say about hockey as a sport, because he has no argument against it. He continues to cite sources regarding hockey's smaller popularity, despite him having proved this point a long time ago. Just for the record, Nd is right. Football is more popular than hockey. Unfortunately, that is really the only point he has made. He hasn't proposed that football is better, because it requires a higher skill level, or because he likes the way the game is played or anything else like that. The only thing he has proved is that football is more popular. Sadly, this debate is not entitled "Is ice hockey as popular as football?"

Additionally, if you are only going to argue how hockey isn't popular, then it seems nonsensical that American football is your favourite sport. If it's not the most popular sport in the world, then why do you like it? I am genuinely curious, as my opponent has not listed any reason he likes the sport itself. Instead, as I said, he has only explained how much more popular it is than hockey.

Alright, so I could refute every single claim my opponent has made about popularity, but I think my point is clear. Popularity is a factor, but not one that single-handedly decides this kind of debate.

Because hockey is such a thrill ride of action, excitement and intensity, it really is the best sport in the world. I encourage everyone to give an NHL game a watch. You will not regret it. No other sport has an equivalent to how exciting the last minute of a close hockey game can be.

Hockey is sporting perfection on ice. It has everything your average sports fan could ever desire. I do not exaggerate. Hockey is the best sport in the world.

Thank you to Nd2400 for challenging me to this debate.

Source:

http://www.sportingnews.com...
Posted by Nd2400 9 months ago
Nd2400
I know. I thought it was rather an easy debate to vote on. I guess not...
Posted by KGlife 9 months ago
KGlife
Alas.
Posted by FanboyMctroll 9 months ago
FanboyMctroll
Soccer or as it's known in the rest of the world as football, is the most watched sport in the world. But for this debate I have to agree with KGlife, hockey is a way better sport then American football. Hockey is also the fastest sport in the world, the big hits, the goals, and the Stanley Cup is the hardest trophy to win as you need to win 16 times in the playoff to win it,

The schedule of 82 games is tough and grueling and there are also fights which are part of the game. Real men play hockey, gorillas that just want to hit each other play football. Besides football will die off as less and less parents are putting their kids in football because of concussions. In football you just need to catch the ball or throw it if you are a quarterback where in hockey you need to know how to skate, shoot, pass, and take hits.

Hockey is the best sport in the world!!!

Sorry Nd2400 but I have to vote for KGlife, he has also brought up some great points in this debate.
Posted by MRAAJ 9 months ago
MRAAJ
Both Ice hockey and US football are pretty much a North American thing, whereas English football is global. Although NFL n NBA are expanding, in the defense of NFL, it brings in billions year in year out.
Posted by KGlife 9 months ago
KGlife
Yeah, I'm good with the debate you proposed.
Posted by Nd2400 9 months ago
Nd2400
Could you go more in depth on the topic you are proposing?
Posted by Cosimia 9 months ago
Cosimia
I have an idea : I propose we debate on the morals of player selling in sports such as soccer/ football
Posted by Nd2400 9 months ago
Nd2400
KGlife: i could do this one.
You want to argue ice hockey, i will be arguing American football and even baseball.
If you still open on this topic i will send you the challenge?
Posted by KGlife 9 months ago
KGlife
Or never mind. I don't match your criteria
Posted by KGlife 9 months ago
KGlife
I'll debate you on this condition:

I argue ice hockey is the best sport in the world

You argue in favour of another sport