KJVPrewrather
judaism

Is Jesus God?

judaism has forfeited round #2.

KJVPrewrather

Pro

Con will make the first move. Jesus is the Man that died on the cross for our salvation.
judaism

Con

Shalom KJVPrewrather,

I am happy to accept this challenge, not because I will convince you or ask you to convert, but because I'm defending the right Judaism holds with Jews worldwide, meaning, I'm doing it for any Jewish reader who happens to be a believer in your Christian faith and stumbles upon this page, to help them see the light.

I must let you know ahead of time, I cannot write on Shabbat, as a consequence to this, I'll be loosing time on my end. I wonder if there's any way you can extent this debate? If not, then perhaps I could make a new one and invite you? I know, its sort of inconvenient, but I wanted to accept this in case it closed for good (I'm not sure if this is a possibility or not, I'm new to this site).

I hope to hear from you soon,

Justin

P.S., I believe 10,000 words is too short, I'm already around eight thousand and counting! Is it possible to fix this too, I'd like more space.

After which, I'll make my argument for the one G-d of Israel.
KJVPrewrather

Pro

Referemce: https://www.gotquestions.org... . From gotquestions.org: Question: "Is Jesus God? Did Jesus ever claim to be God?"
Answer: The Bible never records Jesus saying the precise words, "I am God." That does not mean, however, that He did not proclaim that He is God. Take for example Jesus" words in John 10:30, "I and the Father are one." We need only to look at the Jews" reaction to His statement to know He was claiming to be God. They tried to stone Him for this very reason: "You, a mere man, claim to be God" (John 10:33). The Jews understood exactly what Jesus was claiming"deity. When Jesus declared, "I and the Father are one," He was saying that He and the Father are of one nature and essence. John 8:58 is another example. Jesus declared, "I tell you the truth " before Abraham was born, I am!" Jews who heard this statement responded by taking up stones to kill Him for blasphemy, as the Mosaic Law commanded (Leviticus 24:16).
John reiterates the concept of Jesus" deity: "The Word [Jesus] was God" and "the Word became flesh" (John 1:1, 14). These verses clearly indicate that Jesus is God in the flesh. Acts 20:28 tells us, "Be shepherds of the church of God, which he bought with his own blood." Who bought the church with His own blood? Jesus Christ. And this same verse declares that God purchased His church with His own blood. Therefore, Jesus is God!
Thomas the disciple declared concerning Jesus, "My Lord and my God" (John 20:28). Jesus does not correct him. Titus 2:13 encourages us to wait for the coming of our God and Savior, Jesus Christ (see also 2 Peter 1:1). In Hebrews 1:8, the Father declares of Jesus, "But about the Son he says, "Your throne, O God, will last forever and ever, and righteousness will be the scepter of your kingdom."" The Father refers to Jesus as "O God," indicating that Jesus is indeed God.
In Revelation, an angel instructed the apostle John to only worship God (Revelation 19:10). Several times in Scripture Jesus receives worship (Matthew 2:11; 14:33; 28:9, 17; Luke 24:52; John 9:38). He never rebukes people for worshiping Him. If Jesus were not God, He would have told people to not worship Him, just as the angel in Revelation did. There are many other passages of Scripture that argue for Jesus" deity.
The most important reason that Jesus has to be God is that, if He is not God, His death would not have been sufficient to pay the penalty for the sins of the world (1 John 2:2). A created being, which Jesus would be if He were not God, could not pay the infinite penalty required for sin against an infinite God. Only God could pay such an infinite penalty. Only God could take on the sins of the world (2 Corinthians 5:21), die, and be resurrected, proving His victory over sin and death.
Posted by canis 9 months ago
canis
We do know it was a man. We do know of no gods.