debateartist305
SuperAwesomeMusician

Is Marching Band a Sport?

debateartist305 has forfeited round #2.
Started: 7/28/2017 Category: Sports
Updated: 1 year ago Status: Debating Period

debateartist305

Pro

Marching Band is definitely a sport. It is extremely physically taxing, there are practices and rehearsals, and there are competitions. All three things are required to be considered a sport. You have to focus on your technique, step size, the speed of your marching, and exactly where to go. That is marching alone. Add a three movement piece with challenging notes, rhythms, and volume and got a marching band. If you are ever not focused, you are doing it wrong. You are focusing on at least ten things at once and using both sides of your brain. In "real" sports when a player gets hurt the whole game stops, they get taken out, a replacement gets put in, and then they restart. If someone gets hurt, falls down, or passes out guess what happens? The rest of the marchers walk over them until the show is over.
Someone may say that the only reason marching bands are there is because the football team needs encouragement. That is what their moms are there for. The marching band has longer and more practices than every sport I have come across except for dance. Dance and marching band are very similar in some aspects so kudos to any dancers out there.
One more thing. Have you ever seen band camp rehearsals? Monday-Friday, at least twelve and a half hours long with rare breaks in between.
I am not here to dis on any other sports. Every sport is very challenging and I respect anyone who plays a sport, but that respect is earned when you respect other sports. Marching Band has earned its right to be a sport, just like every other sport out there.
SuperAwesomeMusician

Con

I am glad to be debating with someone who disagrees with me, but is notably respectful at the same time. It has been a while since I have had this happen, so I thank my opponent for presenting his position in such a manner.

I will have to respectfully disagree. I do not believe that marching band should be classified as a sport. Before I continue, I would like my opponent to know that I am an avid musician myself, and I have nothing against the marching band program. I have been playing the piano for about 10 years, and the cello for about 8 years now. While I am not in marching band, I am well aware of the commitment that music requires. I am currently in my high school's chamber orchestra, and I perform with a youth symphony outside of school. That being said, I will now explain to my opponent why I feel that marching band is not a sport, nor should be classified as such.

The dictionary definition of a sport is, "an athletic activity requiring skill or physical prowess and often of a competitive nature". My opponent has established that marching band involves skill and competition. I strongly agree with this. Playing a musical instrument is not an easy task, and often requires years of practicing in order to master. Marching bands compete all the time, just like sports teams do. So far, this satisfies the dictionary definition. If, for a moment, we take out the "marching" aspect, we just have a band. Band, or orchestra for that matter, is not a sport. It is an art. Those who participate in this activity are not called athletes. They are called musicians. Now, we will be discussing the "athletic" category; essentially, adding back in the "marching" component. The main element of this debate will be in regards to the physical activities involved, and whether or not these justify qualifications as a sport.

Marching alone is not physically exerting enough to be considered athletic. Marching, as my opponent states, puts emphasis on the step size, speed, and movement of normal walking, which is correct. Marching is essentially walking in a set pace, direction, and rhythm. However, I cannot find myself calling people who walk in such a fashion "athletes". All they are doing is walking in tempo. While you may be sweating a lot, it is not an action that is highly physical. Therefore, the physical activity involved in marching band is not really enough to categorize it as a sport.

To conclude, marching band is an amazing art that I have enjoyed every time I have seen it. Very skilled musicians are coming together and pushing themselves further in the realm of an art that has the capability of changing your soul. They face the difficulty of playing the instrument and marching with it at the same time. This is by no means an easy art. However, the physical elements that are involved in this amazing art do not provide it with the qualifications to become a sport.

I look forward to hearing my opponent's response. Best of luck to him!
Posted by FanboyMctroll 1 year ago
FanboyMctroll
Oh really?? How many point, goals, or best time did you score on your last march? Give me a break, what's next taking a big dump will be a sport too.

Stop being a nipple and hit the gym and then go play football, hockey, basketball or any other real man sport. Marching band is for pansies.