mferver
ChaoticShepherd

Is Marching Band a sport?

mferver has forfeited round #2.
Started: 9/13/2018 Category: Arts
Updated: 3 years ago Status: Debating Period

mferver

Con

I was just wondering if what people think. Is Marching Band a sport or is it not? I've heard both sides and they both seem to be valid. I personally don't think it is, But it seems to fit the criteria to be considered a sport.
ChaoticShepherd

Pro

Challenge accepted!
Posted by Block19 3 years ago
Block19
My issue is there is no definitive way to determine a winner in a marching band competition, Music is an art, And all art is subjective. In football, Soccer, Track, Etc. There is always an objective result based on the effort played out on their given field.
Posted by GraceKane 3 years ago
GraceKane
I believe Marching Band is a sport. I am in the marching band and it basically has the sports concept.
1. It is competitive
2. You are in a team
3. You practice with the same ideas as sports teams through exercise
4. You wear a uniform
I'm sorry if people would disagree, But by the basic standards, Marching Band is a sport.
Also, I don't think it would be right for you to be forced into it, But most schools give you the choice.
Marching Band could also be seen as cheerleading (which recently became a sport) because most schools let you play pep music and you perform on field during things like football games. It requires skill and physical exertion just like a sport.
So yes, Marching Band should be considered a sport.
Posted by 32doni32nido32 3 years ago
32doni32nido32
As a person who is forced to do marching band by my school and as someone who willingly does other sports I'd so that no, It's not a sport. Though that is personal opinion and I'm not set on my belief, I don't currently view the activity as falling within the "sports" realm. But, My opinion is not firm and I am open to changing it.
When I was at a football game in the marching band, One of my friends said: "imagine if the football team and the marching band switched roles". Another one of my friends responded by saying: "that would be a disaster". Of course, As usual, My comment was naturally to scoff at the thought and said: "well, All we'd have to do is throw a ball and tackle one another whether a person has a ball or not, Right? They have probably never even heard of Euphonium before and couldn't assemble a trumpet. "
Why do I tell this story? Well, If marching band WERE a sport, It would be an extremely different one. Overall, It's a unique activity whether it's placed in the "sports" or "music" category.
I also told the story because, Well, Why not? After all, One of my friends who plays football partially agreed.

So many people are going to comment saying I know nothing about football but that's okay. XD
Posted by Block19 3 years ago
Block19
I don't know, If you think about how difficult it is to get all those people to play their own instrument well, Coordinate play, And keep pace in a synchronized manner as you march around a field. That isn't easy and any one person could loose you the competition.
Posted by Sonofcharl 3 years ago
Sonofcharl
People seem to have the overburdening desire to be competitive. Why can't people simply enjoy the thrill of being in a Marching Band without the need to be judged against others?
Posted by Block19 3 years ago
Block19
personally i think the definition of what constitutes a sport to be to broad, Currently it is defined as all forms of competitive physical activity or games which, Through casual or organised participation, Aim to use, Maintain or improve physical ability and skills while providing enjoyment to participants, And in some cases, Entertainment for spectators. However i feel like it should be redefined as having to be a physically demanding competition between two or more individuals (or groups of individuals), In which the outcome is decided by the competitors actions and not independent judges.

That would eliminated marching band, Boxing, Gymnastics, Chess, And many other events currently considered "sports"