ToasterMinistry
Speedrace

Is NASA a waste of money?

ToasterMinistry

Con

A few things before we get into this debate:

- First round will be acceptance. Opponent will also clarify his or her position, So we are all on the same page. Failure to do so will mean that you resign the round.
- No logical fallacies allowed. They are so annoying.

I am arguing that NASA is not a waste of money. Arguments will be given in Round 2.

Also, I'm a beginner debator on this site, Please don't be toxic if I finesse myself.
Speedrace

Pro

I accept. I will be arguing that NASA is a waste of money.
ToasterMinistry

Con

An obvious question that comes up is "Why would we invest in NASA to explore space if we have so much problems on earth? ", And the answer is that often, When NASA makes technologies in space, They come to great use on earth. For example, There was a kind-of-recent mission called "SMAP". It basically was launched into space to read the geological patterns on Earth to predict droughts. It was also the satellite to predict the patterns of Hurricane Katrina. It is mainly used in Africa, Where conditions for people are arguably the worst to help crop harvests better. With the same amount of money used with SMAP, We could feed all of Africa. Instead, However, NASA investing in the long term, Making it easier for Africans all over to make their own food for years to come. There's this Chinese proverb that basically says: "It's better to teach a man to fish so they can get his own food, Other than just giving him some fish" Same thing applies to NASA. NASA also gave us the technologies like camera phones, Scratch-resistant glasses, And LEDs.

NASA also lets us prevent disasters that might wipe out the mankind. In 2040, NASA is planning to ram a rocket into an asteroid to see if it will deflect the asteroid. NASA is also planning to make a colony on Mars in case anything bad happens on Earth.

NASA also gives many of America's most skilled workers a place to work and pay.

My last point is exploration and innovation. Of course, It may sound weird, But it is very true. It is like saying: "Why did our ancestors bother with going onto the water when they couldn't even solve some of their problems on land? ". Or, "Why did our ancestors go out and explore more lands and try to invent better technologies when they could barely survive on land? ". It is the same thing with NASA.
Speedrace

Pro

First of all, NASA has wasted $20 billion on cancelled projects. You said that SMAP cost enough to feed all of Africa. That money wasted alone would be 20x that amount.

This year alone, NASA has spent more than $4 billion on deep space exploration, Almost 4x the cost of SMAP. This venture has virtually no real effect on our society besides the garnering of knowledge about our universe. Admittedly, Such exploration is cool, But in the end, it is a waste and is not productive.

Yes, They may do a lot of good projects, But those can be allocated to a department or agency that does not waste money.

Natural disaster prevention can easily be allocated to another department whose sole task is the prevention of said disasters. In the end, NASA is a waste of good tax dollars.

https://www. Popsci. Com/science/article/2012-09/infographic-nasas-canceled-projects

https://www. Nasa. Gov/sites/default/files/atoms/files/nasa_fy_2019_budget_overview. Pdf
ToasterMinistry

Con

Right, So you state that NASA uses up so much money each year. However, NASA only uses up half of a percent of government funding. 16 goes to the military, While 60 percent goes to social programs. How much more money do we waste on these than NASA? The truth is, A lot more. Also, SMAP is already giving Africans many agricultural benefits and saving lives by predicting natural disasters and their patterns. How can you say they are bad? Everyday technologies we have on earth, Like GPS, Camera phones, Scratch-resistant glasses, LEDs, And water purification systems. You argue that we can give the job of space exploration towards other companies, Like SpaceX. However, The primary goals of these private companies is to make money, And not to share technologies like GPS for free around the globe. In the end, That would cost us even more, And make these money-hungry companies richer and richer. NASA is absolutely not a waste of tax dollars.
Speedrace

Pro

"Right, So you state that NASA uses up so much money each year. However, NASA only uses up half of a percent of government funding. "

You're trying to minimize the amount of money NASA uses. They use billions each year, The percentage that it is of the government's funding is irrelevant. You yourself stated that it is more than enough to feed all of Africa.

"
16 goes to the military, While 60 percent goes to social programs. How much more money do we waste on these than NASA? The truth is, A lot more. "

How much money we waste in other departments is irrelevant, And that is not an excuse to waste money on NASA.

"Also, SMAP is already giving Africans many agricultural benefits and saving lives by predicting natural disasters and their patterns. How can you say they are bad? "

I never said NASA was bad or SMAP was bad, I simply said that NASA wastes a lot of money that could go to other places.

"You argue that we can give the job of space exploration towards other companies, Like SpaceX. "

I never said we should give space exploration to ANYONE. I said that we should give the productive things that NASA does to ANOTHER DEPARTMENT or AGENCY under the government. Therefore, There is no risk of greed taking over.
ToasterMinistry

Con

I said that the money used on SMAP could feed the entire population of Africa for about 1-3 days. However, SMAP's main goal is to scan the land and then report to NASA, Who finds ways to improve the bad soil and tell people to farm in the certain areas with said good soil.

Do you know how much more money gets wasted on the military and social programs? I am not denying the fact that NASA does use billions each year, But it still counts for half a percent. The fact that the military spends way more money than NASA and that it wastes more money than NASA uses each year goes to show that NASA accounts for barely anything in the grand scheme of things. If a meteroid hit Earth right now, The military wouldn't even be a thing anymore. It is up to NASA to protect Earth from these things.

You haven't refuted my argument about all the technologies that NASA used in space that is now used on Earth. Without GPS, Our lives would be miserable. Without GPS, Our aircrafts would be flying out of the sky, And distrupt financial banks all around the globe. So many nations around the globe us GPS that was provided by NASA for free was to enhance the quality of human life here on Earth. If we had no GPS, Many nations would be hitting the wrong areas for nuclear bomb tests, Or attacking the wrong areas in a war. We also have water purification systems, Camera phones, And so much more just because of NASA's hard work. They turned half a percent of money used into so many great things that the military could not achieve. Without NASA, We would be going back to square 1(Well maybe not. Probably just 30 out of a hundred). NASA plays a very important role in our lives, No matter if you know it or not. You should be grateful.

Again, You couldn't refute my argument about giving America's most skilled workers something that they are passionate about(and getting paid, Lol).

NASA barely wasted any money on SMAP. Even if it did, SMAP is already such a success that since it can scan the entire Earth in a day or two, It has improved the lives of hundreds of thousands already.
Speedrace

Pro

"I said that the money used on SMAP could feed the entire population of Africa for about 1-3 days. "

You never said that. This is what you said: "With the same amount of money used with SMAP, We could feed all of Africa. " You never mentioned for how long.

"Do you know how much more money gets wasted on the military and social programs? "

I'm sure it's a lot. That doesn't make it ok for NASA to do it though. This is a straw man.

"I am not denying the fact that NASA does use billions each year, But it still counts for half a percent. The fact that the military spends way more money than NASA and that it wastes more money than NASA uses each year goes to show that NASA accounts for barely anything in the grand scheme of things. "

So you're basically saying that it's fine for NASA to waste billions because the government has plenty of money left over? No. Our debt is over $20 trillion, So we cannot afford to waste any more money, Whether it's a half of a percent or 50%.

"You haven't refuted my argument about all the technologies that NASA used in space that is now used on Earth. "

I never said that NASA's technologies are useless, I said that the job of making those technologies should be redirected to another department that DOES NOT waste money.

"You should be grateful. "

I am grateful, But that doesn't excuse the fact that NASA wastes a lot of money.

"Again, You couldn't refute my argument about giving America's most skilled workers something that they are passionate about(and getting paid, Lol). "

I wasn't trying to refute. I said that those jobs need to be allocated to another department that doesn't waste money.

"NASA barely wasted any money on SMAP. "

I never said that NASA wasted money on SMAP, I said that they waste money IN GENERAL. Because of that, Their important jobs need to be moved to a department that doesn't waste money.
ToasterMinistry

Con

Okay, Fine. I didn't say the Africa thing clearly, But my point still stands, Sorry about that.

Virtually every single company, Branch, And even the government wastes money. By far, NASA was one of those companies that wasted the least. If you think NASA is a waste of money, Literally everything else, From the military to social program fundings, Are a waste of money. You need to understand every branch wastes money, And it can't be stopped. The only thing one can do is to minimize money wasted, Which is exactly what NASA does. Because they tripped up sometimes, They learn valuable lessons from it to improve machinery of their own and to help progress go faster.
Speedrace

Pro

As I have shown, NASA has wasted billions on canceled projects and even more on space projects that don't impact our society. Just because other branches waste money as well doesn't mean that we should allow NASA to continue to waste money. Any of its productive tasks can be relocated to another agency that doesn't waste money.

So to conclude, NASA is a waste of money.