KJVPrewrather
RMTheSupreme

Is adoption reform an important and urgent issue.

KJVPrewrather has forfeited round #3.
Updated: 3 years ago Status: Debating Period

KJVPrewrather

Pro

Adoption reform is the radical conmcept that the adoption system and foster care system needs to be reformed. Adoption reform matters to me because I had a pregnancy scare by my rapist and would have called Bethany Christian Services if I had conceived someone. I don't want children, but being the mother of a dead baby would have broken my heart. We need to support the right of rape and spousal abuse victims to choose adoption without her abuser
s consent. The government needs to defund Planned Parenthood which does not provide prenatal care or adoption referal services, and fund adoption agencies secular or otherwise. We need to provide services for older children, and make it possible for legal adults to be adopted. We neeed to provide tax credits to couples willing to adopt one person regardless of age. Let's offer adoption counseling instead of morning after pills that might cause abortions to rape victims, and finally affirm that Biblically (Job 3:3), scientifically, and otherwise, life begins at conception, and affirm the right of people to live. Let'd mske it easier to choose life unlike those 31 states which ascribe parental rights to rapists.
RMTheSupreme

Con

Okay so I'm going to be coming at you (Pro) from many angles. You have a lot of holes in your case and I will be exploiting all of them. It is important that you understand that I am coming at you from many angles and that all my points will rarely connect, they are separate angles not many of the same angle.

For this debate, R0= Round 0 etc etc. It's easier to type and faster to read.

The semantic angle of observing the definition of 'adoption reform' in Pro's R1 requires us to observe that Pro defined adoption reform as the concept of the system needing to be reformed and not the actual reforming implementation or even planning in itself. A concept is not an important or urgent issue by default.

"I don't want children, but being the mother of a dead baby would have broken my heart." We get it, you're pro-life.

"We need to support the right of rape and spousal abuse victims to choose adoption without her abuser's consent." Please do englighten me as to how a rapist gets to consent or deny the adoption of the rape's child.

"The government needs to defund Planned Parenthood which does not provide prenatal care or adoption referal services, and fund adoption agencies secular or otherwise." Why does it need to pull money from Planned Parenthood to fund the latter? Can't it just tax more or take money from elsewhere?

"We need to provide tax credits to couples willing to adopt one person regardless of age." Why do we need to do that?

"Let's offer adoption counseling instead of morning after pills that might cause abortions to rape victims, and finally affirm that Biblically (Job 3:3), scientifically, and otherwise, life begins at conception, and affirm the right of people to live. Let's make it easier to choose life unlike those 31 states which ascribe parental rights to rapists."

What's the reason that we need to get rid of morning after pills? Why is being pro-life right and how is that relevant to the resolution?

KJVPrewrather

Pro

Unboprn children have the right to live, and adoption affords choice to the mother. I was wrong about the birth control, I looked it up, but people otherwise have the right to live. Consent to unprotected sex is consent to pregnancy, and birth control counts. I am not going to judge abortion patients but feel adoption is life affirming. I hear what prochoicers are saying and have already contacted legislators about adoption reform. Easy? Hell no. I almost conceived a baby and would have chosen adoption. Worth it? Yes. Tell me your problems with adoption, and I will address them. Stay tuned.
RMTheSupreme

Con

"Unborn children have the right to live"
Actually they don't. The only laws protecting them are ones relevant to the mother and her agency over her body in most countries. In other words, in countries that outlaw abortions it's outlawed to abort the fetus, not a 'right' of the fetus to live that saves them. Proof is in the idea that you are born 0 years months and days old as opposed to legally being of the age of 9 months or so.

"adoption affords choice to the mother."
Okay but how does this lead to one concluding that the concept that the adoption system and foster care system needs to be reformed and important and urgent issue?

"Consent to unprotected sex is consent to pregnancy."
Let's ignore when people accidentally poke a hole in the condom and cases like not taking the pill often enough or one's biology reacting with the pill in a strange way that lets them still get pregnant. Even if we focus on cases where the unprotected sex was intentionally so and even if the guy didn't even try to pull out it still leads to there being an issue of a baby that is not going to be properly cared for financially or emotionally, in other words a guaranteed unhappy being that is going to be a drain on the economy via child welfare and potentially be thrown into foster care. You argue that we need to reform adoption and the foster care system but doesn't abortion completley negate your point? Your entire case relies on us inherently thinking abortion is the worst solution out of the options and that adoption is the best but you have yet to prove this and as you are on the side of Proposition, the burden of proof is on you.

"I hear what prochoicers are saying and have already contacted legislators about adoption reform. Easy? Hell no. I almost conceived a baby and would have chosen adoption. Worth it? Yes."
Look, as you should know I am not the father figure who abused you as a child and what happened to you is extremely traumatic and can easily still be affecting you to this day. The fact that you personally regret aborting the child and would have rather it had been born and given up for adoption is your personal issue, no matter how justifiable and severe. Your personal mistake and regret you feel due to it is not proof that adoption reform is an important and urgent issue.