Jeromey
tomlangford

Is believing in God justified?

Jeromey has forfeited round #2.
Updated: 3 years ago Status: Debating Period

Jeromey

Pro

Is believing in God Justified?

I love the Lord my God with all of my heart, Mind, Soul, And strength and will serve Him faithfully for all of my days.

Am I justified for believing that?
tomlangford

Con

Hello There,

For full clarification I do not believe in God. I identify as an atheist and have for my entire adult life. However I do respect other people's beliefs - if you believe in a God, No matter which of the thousands of Gods there have ever been talked about, That doesn't matter to me.

However I do also believe that atheism is the most rational standpoint a person can take and there is little to no evidence for his existence.

So is believing in (I assume) the Christian God justified? I do not believe so, At least not from a rational standpoint.
Posted by Block19 3 years ago
Block19
Is your friend implying that it is possible to perfect one's philosophy? I don't understand.
Posted by missmedic 3 years ago
missmedic
This is from a friends essay, And best captures my own understanding of philosophy.
"Your philosophy is your worldview, Which is a backdrop for all thought and a context for all knowledge. The decision about examining philosophy is between: 1) to make your philosophy explicit, Or 2) to be a slave to the subconscious notions, Principles, And other people's philosophies picked up throughout life. To ignore the topic of philosophy is to be doomed to the second choice. Examining your philosophy will allow you to discover and root out all errors and contradictions and allow you to more easily acquire knowledge and to think in concepts rather than concretes. "
Posted by Block19 3 years ago
Block19
Not only do i understand what you are saying, I feel bad for not realizing it sooner. After all you are making a very obvious point, Faith is closer to philosophy than true science. I think the reason i was confused was because of the debate topic, "Is believing in God justified", I still think it is. Having faith or a personal philosophy is not detrimental to an individual's nor a society's well being. True faith shouldn't compete with science, The bible is collection of stories centered around God/Jesus, It is not a textbook.
Posted by missmedic 3 years ago
missmedic
Let me clarify. The pursuit and acquisition of knowledge is not stifled by faith, However faith based belief do not give us knowledge. When someone claims to have supernatural knowledge, Or the ability to gain knowledge in a way that you are unable to, Their claims cannot be considered valid. Believing in gods does not stop a person from knowing or learning. While all ways of knowing are flawed, Some are better than others. What makes some ways better? The fact that they can be corrected through thought and experience. Thought and experience may not allow us to arrive at all truth, But they"re the best tools we"ve got " faith doesn"t bring anything to the table.
Posted by Block19 3 years ago
Block19
Im afraid i don't follow your reasoning, Are you stating that because someone believes in god it somehow stifles their pursuit of knowledge? I hope it that is not your personal opinion because it is fundamentally flawed, And i am not trying to insult you. For the most part, I actually respect your reasonable approach to arguments.
Posted by missmedic 3 years ago
missmedic
"Many advancements have been made by people who believe in god. " This is true, However advancements in knowledge do not come from faith based beliefs. The simple act of believing does not make something true. When accepting a statement as true, There are two basic methods. The first is reason. It is when the known evidence points to the statement being true, And when the truth of the statement doesn't contradict other knowledge. The second is faith. It is when one accepts a statement as true without evidence for it, Or in the face of evidence against it. Faith pretends that evidence for or against an idea is irrelevant. The more you know the less you believe. . .
Posted by mosc 3 years ago
mosc
Goyim by definition worship other Gods.
Posted by Block19 3 years ago
Block19
I would beg to differ, Many advancements have been made by people who believe in god. The very calendar used by the majority of the world and the scientific community was commissioned by Pope Gregory XIII himself, Which is why it is called the Gregorian Calendar. Many of the first churches were formed by religious groups, Even now there are many academic ventures being backed by religious institutions. Just because someone believes in god does not limit their thirst for knowledge and discovery.
Posted by missmedic 3 years ago
missmedic
You are right a person that holds beliefs can also acquire knowledge. However god belief is dogmatic and immutable, And can not be changed or improved through thought and experience. Faith based belief is not a reliable path to knowledge. So to answer the question, Believing in gods is not justified.
Posted by Block19 3 years ago
Block19
@Missmedic While i would agree that such beliefs are not necessary in respect to those pursuits, I would not say that having said beliefs should disqualify a person from doing so as well.