Leaning
Anonymous

Is cloning yourself any more or less moral than having children with another person?

Con Tied Pro
Reasons for your voting decision - Required
The Voting Period Ends In
Updated: 2 months ago Status: Voting Period

Leaning

Con

Con is, No it is not any more or less moral than having children with another person.
Pro is, Yes it is more or less moral than having children with another person.

In either case, Clone or child with another, It's the introduction of a new individual to this world.
I suppose a person might claim that it takes away from their personhood, If they're a biological copy of you, But what do you think twins are of one another?

Pro

How can you even clone yourself?
What technology exists to then make identical copies of ourselves?

If there is, Maybe I might hold this "pro" position firmly.
Leaning

Con

Dolly the Sheep was a clone, I thought.

I assumed we 'could technically already clone humans.
Hm, Zhong Zhong and Hua Hua, Long-tailed macaque clones in 2018.

Looking on Wikipedia, Many countries have 'banned human cloning, Adding further to my assumption that it is possible.

More Google ing,
Alright, I offer The Food and Drug Administration, As proof of cloning.
Source, Google, Fda gov animal veterinary animal cloning myths about cloning

Also as way to head off some potential myth arguments,
such as,

Myth When clones are born, They"re the same age as their donors, And don"t live long.
Myth Cloning results in severely damaged animals that suffer, And continue to have health problems all their lives.
Myth Offspring of clones are clones, And each generation gets weaker and weaker and has more and more problems.

Pro

Here are my rebuttals:

1. "Looking on Wikipedia, Many countries have 'banned human cloning, Adding further to my assumption that it is possible. "

Just saying it is doesn't prove that it is.

In fact, To quote a Wikipedia article on Dolly The Sheep: "After cloning was successfully demonstrated through the production of Dolly, Many other large mammals were cloned, Including pigs, Deer, Horses and bulls. The attempt to clone argali (mountain sheep) did not produce viable embryos. The attempt to clone a banteng bull was more successful, As were the attempts to clone mouflon (a form of wild sheep), Both resulting in viable offspring. The reprogramming process that cells need to go through during cloning is not perfect and embryos produced by nuclear transfer often show abnormal development. Making cloned mammals was highly inefficient " in 1996 Dolly was the only lamb that survived to adulthood from 277 attempts. By 2014 Chinese scientists were reported to have 70"80% success rates cloning pigs and in 2016, A Korean company, Sooam Biotech, Was producing 500 cloned embryos a day. Wilmut, Who led the team that created Dolly, Announced in 2007 that the nuclear transfer technique may never be sufficiently efficient for use in humans. "

Source: https://en. Wikipedia. Org/wiki/Dolly_(sheep)

2. "More Google ing,
Source, Google, Fda gov animal veterinary animal cloning myths about cloning"

First off, There's nothing seperating the words "Google" and "ing". Second, You haven't provided any url links from The Food and Drug Administration, Wikipedia, Or Google.

3. "Also as way to head off some potential myth arguments,
such as,

Myth Offspring of clones are clones, And each generation gets weaker and weaker and has more and more problems. "

Firstly, You don't need to use full-fledged quotation marks, Just use one apostrophe. Second of all, Did you include the facts instead of just the myths?
Leaning

Con

First,
Well, 'even if it wasn't possible, Doesn't mean it would not be possible in the future.
If we can clone an animal other than a human 'now, I don't see why we couldn't clone a human 'later.
It seems perfectly reasonable to me, For one to ask moral questions of situations which are not 'yet possible, But 'will be.
That some governments have legislation 'against it, Implies it's reality enough to 'me.

According to this article,
Source, Google, Statnews human reproductive cloning curious incident of the dog in the night time
"Cloning human embryos has been possible for nearly seven years. "

Second,
I haven't been using url links, Because of their propensity to glitch debates upon this site.
I 'have been copying the url links and been deleting everything but enough words, That should one Google search the words, Ought lead to the website I'm referencing.

Third,
It seems apparent enough to me, That human cloning is either 'technically possible now, Or possible with a bit of effort,
If one simply Google searches the topic a bit.
Though I do see now, I should have made an 'earlier debate whether it was technically 'possible to clone humans.

Fourth,
I thought I 'had been using, One apostrophe, On a number of words.
Maybe the website is auto correcting them mistakenly into those quote marks.
That or I've been miss-typing.

Pro

Well, It could be possible but it'll probably be in a few years or so. Even if we can completey clone humans in the future, Isn't any more or less moral than having children with another person through a long process.

Also, I just looked up another Wikipedia article called "Human cloning", And it says: "There are currently no federal laws in the United States which ban cloning completely".

Maybe America may or may not be an exemption except 10 states:
1. California
2. Connecticut
3. Illinois
4. Iowa
5. Maryland
6. Massachusetts
7. Missouri
8. Montana
9. New Jersey
10. Rhode Island

Years ago, It used to be much easier to post URLs, But now it's not.
I wonder what you're typing on? I don't know.

Now, Let's finish the last round.
Leaning

Con

Indeed, We come to the final round.

I'm not sure how I feel about cloning myself, Still 'seems a bit creepy to me.
But perhaps that is simply the unusual speaking.

I'm typing on my computer.

Pro

Okay, I thought you were typing on a phone, Sorry about that.

Thank you for engaging with me in this somewhat odd debate, I don't want to close myself either.

It's been fun, So long!
Posted by Anonymous 2 months ago
Leaning
@Onelittletree4
Out of curiosity, What was your profile name years ago?
Posted by Anonymous 2 months ago
DeletedUser
I made a spelling error, Sorry about that.
Posted by Anonymous 2 months ago
Leaning
@Onelittletree4
Google, Knowgenetics org cloning Gene cloning is essentially recombinant on re productive cloning of organisms.
Posted by Anonymous 2 months ago
DeletedUser
Can anybody name a piece of state-of-the-art technology where you are able to do that and others?
Posted by Anonymous 2 months ago
Leaning
Well, Should someone religious accept the debate, It'll be interesting to hear their argument.
Posted by Anonymous 2 months ago
brodiescott76
True. But the religious person may look at it as we have a duty to conceive in the traditional manner, As opposed to creating life via science.
Posted by Anonymous 2 months ago
Leaning
The religious argument against abortion, Doesn't feel all that likely to stick, In modern USA anyhow.
Personally I'd expect most people not to care for it anyway, As it's 'still a fair bit weird. Some states in the USA ban cloning.

More effective arguments, I expect might be on scientific, Technical details.

But maybe there's some moral argument I'm missing, A person might make.
Posted by Anonymous 2 months ago
brodiescott76
The experiment was by John Darton. The island was in the 2000s. 05 I think.
Posted by Anonymous 2 months ago
Leaning
Hm, Clone media I remember, The 6th Day with Schwarzenegger, The House of the Scorpion novel by Nancy Farmer.

Do you recall the author for "The experiment", Or what year "The Island" was produced?
Posted by Anonymous 2 months ago
brodiescott76
Theres a book called "The experiment" that you might like. Or a movie called "The Island" that deals with the same concept. Personally the only distinction I can make is a religious one. The, Bible teaches that fornication and ultimately conception is a necessary step among married couples as a symbolic representation of the rejoining of Adam and Eve.