msstanleyelah
MCHansen

Is collectivism better than individualism in a society?

msstanleyelah has forfeited round #2.
Updated: 3 years ago Status: Debating Period

msstanleyelah

Con

"Individualism, political and social philosophy that emphasizes the moral worth of the individual. Although the concept of an individual may seem straightforward, there are many ways of understanding it, both in theory and in practice. The term individualism itself, and its equivalents in other languages, dates"like socialism and other isms"from the 19th century."
MCHansen

Pro

If I understand your argument and the topic right, I should be supporting collectivism over individualism, correct? If not, my bad for not understanding XD

Anyway,
Collectivism: "the practice or principle of giving a group priority over each individual in it."

I think the key point in this debate is the wording of the resolution: is collectivism better than individualism IN A SOCIETY.

I promise you, almost every single person on this planet is collectivist to some degree, just as they are individualist to a degree. Example: have you lived with a family ever? Than you are/were a participant in collectivism. Collectivism isn"t just socialism or communism, it"s any government, any community, any church and Even any family. To me, it is humorously clear that in a society (the aggregate of people living together in a more or less ordered community)
Literally, to live in a community is to practice collectivism, so obviously collectivism is more important to society.