Npower987
frankfurter50

Is democracy really the best form of Government?

Npower987 has forfeited round #2.
Updated: 3 years ago Status: Debating Period

Npower987

Con

It seems as if everyone in the United States agrees that democracy is the best form of government, and seem to be almost ignorant to the other options, that may in fact be better. Now, I'm not talking about radical left or right, therefore, this debate should not be about if 'Communist is the way,' or 'Fascism is good!' but, about the less radical changes.

For instance, an Authoritarian Democracy would be a good place to start, depending on how you would want to go about bringing that, ( i.e Voting, forceful coup, etc. )

In my personal opinion, I would wish for a Looser Authoritarian Democracy, where a leader is elected not by an Electoral College, but by a direct vote by the people, It'd change a term to 15 years, but allow impeachment by the still exsistance senate.
frankfurter50

Pro

There's no such thing as an Authoritarian Democracy, sir. Authoritarianism is the exact opposite of Democracy and contradicts it in every way. Democracy is the best form of Government, though. People have the right to choose their own leader, and voting is a very sensible system for the most part.

As for your idea about a Democracy where the Electoral College doesn't exist, I strongly agree. It defeats the whole purpose of democracy- that being that a person's vote counts. Trump is the fifth president to lose the popular vote. Hillary would have won if not for the Electoral College. We need to do away with that thing.

Are you kidding about 15 years? That's way too long, sir. Four years with Trump already seems too long. Two years would seem too short. I'd say three years kinda hits the sweet spot, with a second term, of course. Not 15 years. The president could die in that time. That's longer than FDR was president. I mean, if we're going for a better Democracy here, let's make it shorter, not longer, so that more people have an opportunity to be President. And of course the President can be impeached at any time.

Oh, also- just so you know- if there's a Senate, and a House of Representatives, then it's not authoritarian. I don't know what you're talking about with "Authoritarian" here. I'm not sure you know what that word means. An Authoritarian country is a country where the Government controls everything. It is by no means Democratic. Are you for Democracy or against it?
Posted by unknown777 3 years ago
unknown777
Democracy is the rule of majority. Is it really right if we base decisions to majority? voting system probably is unfair for not all citizen vote
Posted by frankfurter50 3 years ago
frankfurter50
Yeah, we are.
Posted by MarkK.1068 3 years ago
MarkK.1068
To both sides: We do not live in a democracy. Never have. The United States is a constitutional republic. It has democratic features but it's not a democracy. Democracy is, essentially, mob rules. Democracies last about 200 years then collapse from within when the whole system becomes a raid on public treasury.
Posted by MarkK.1068 3 years ago
MarkK.1068
The United States is not a democracy.