Arin11
Taylori21

Is democracy the best form of Governance?

Arin11

Pro

Well try your best with your knowledge!
Taylori21

Con

I will debate you.

In my argument I will be promoting the belief that a democracy is not the best system of government. I will attempt to prove that a democracy causes stagnation and anarchy, Fails to meet the needs of the people, And cannot hold up in times of emergency.

The truth of the matter is that the average citizen cannot effectively make rational decisions about the many functions of government nor can they be trusted to make good decisions about who should lead the government. The average person also is prone to burst of anger, And when many voters at once are faced with this mob mentality they can use the functions of government to I will use one example from history where democracy has lead to almost disastrous results. In Athens in the classical Greek era the citizens of one of Athens tributary states rebelled. The angered citizens of Athens voted to execute all the men on the island and sell the women and children into slavery. Later having realized their mistake the citizens reversed their action stopping the massacre only hours before it could take place. Now imagine if they hadn't changed their minds in time and the people had been killed. I also don't believe a representative democracy works. Too often people vote for leader based solely on charisma and not ability. People are more likely to vote for a leader who promises them great things than one who can keep the country stable.

I look forward to debating you.
Arin11

Pro

Arin11 forfeited this round.
Taylori21

Con

Taylori21 forfeited this round.
Arin11

Pro

Arin11 forfeited this round.
Taylori21

Con

Taylori21 forfeited this round.
Posted by Athias 3 years ago
Athias
I wish I saw this while the challenge was still open to contenders. If you ever wish to debate this with someone else, I'll be sure to be on the look out.