Locke916
Almus

Is evolution real?

Almus has forfeited round #2.
Updated: 3 years ago Status: Debating Period

Locke916

Pro

This round is just for posting your beliefs and why you believe it. The actual debate will start next round.
I believe in evolution simply because, from what I've heard so far, there's more evidence for it than against (but that IS why I'm creating this: to see if that still holds true after a debate ). Plus, it's just a general ideological thing: I would rather put my faith in what we humans can deduce than anything else.
Good luck!
Almus

Con

Evolution is only a theory, not a scientific law. Evolution is unscientific because it is not testable or falsifiable. It makes claims about events that were not observed and can never be recreated.
Locke916

Pro

Actually, this is a common misconception. The difference between a scientific law and theory isn't how many people have ratified it, but what it's actually trying to say. A scientific law is an observed natural phenomena (like the changes in the beaks of Darwin's finches), whereas a scientific theory tries to explain why the law exists (like Darwin's explanation of the changes). Every explanation of a natural phenomena, regardless of how many people have accepted it, is still "just a theory." Even things like the fact that the sun relies on fusion power isn't an observed phenomena; there's no way anything a human built could ever travel deep enough to witness the fusion. It's just an explanation for what we CAN observe.
And evolution is both testable and falsifiable. When a creature dies, it doesn't just vanish off the face of the earth. It leaves traces, in the form of fossils. Ask any experienced archeologist: species don't just pop into and out of existence (well, they can pop out. But only from a mass extinction event, which are quite rare, and besides the point). They slowly transition from one species to another. With one creature (or rather, family line) gaining more and more characteristics that both separate them from their species and increase their survival odds until they can't be put under the same umbrella. Take the domesticated dog, for example. Back before Rome or Mesopotamia or before any civilization that anybody is likely to know by name, there weren't any dogs. Just different types of wolves. But then, a previously unknown factor presented itself to them: Humans. Even before they were technically "domesticated," humans used them as sort of a lion's den creature, or in some cases they would intentionally release them to hunt down animals. Because of this, being loyal to humans increased their survival odds, making it so more of them survived to reproduce (I'm sure you've heard of natural selection). The obedient dog gets put in the kennel less often.
Posted by CarlosRN 3 years ago
CarlosRN
I was wondering if I could debate this very same topic with you.
Posted by Im_Intelligent 3 years ago
Im_Intelligent
theorys have a different meaning in scientific context.