KJVPrewrather
David_Debates

Is is moral to be moderate on abortion?

David_Debates has forfeited round #2.
Updated: 3 years ago Status: Debating Period

KJVPrewrather

Con

I am pro-moederate on abortion. I believe the fertilized egg becomes a person at implantation, BUT the mother is a person with rights too. When two human lives are connected, there has to be some choice. You can be personally opposed, but prochoice. I have spoken with women who are alive because of abortion. Should they be dead? When Ireland forced a suicidal rape victim to give birth, I was mad. When the abolish it crowd doesn't care that women will die, I get angry. When forced birthers think abortion is an easy choice, I get posssed. I will try to address my opponent, and present a collection of what ifs as food for thought. As always, I welcome free speech and the occasional fallacy as long as it's not a strawman.
David_Debates

Pro

I am of the opinion that abortion is the killing a human life. Yet as we know from our legal system, certain killings are justified. It is the same with abortion. To stay out of the discussion and hold no opinion means to hold no opinion upon the killing of others, which is clearly immoral.

Con's position is that it is moral to be moderate on abortion. I am unsure of what this statement means, and as such, I ask Con to define her terms for clarification.

To address some of your points:

1) "I have spoken with women who are alive because of abortion. Should they be dead?"
Response: No, they shouldn't be dead. You recognize, however, that abortion requires the loss of a life, that is, the child that was killed to save another (an example of a justification of killing). In these cases, such as those in the legal system, it must be demonstrated that this was the only reasonable way to save that life (if there was another reasonable and attainable way, yet you choose killing, then the killing is unjustified). This is the legal and moral precedent that we ought to follow, not a blanket "pro-choice" ideal.

2) "When Ireland forced a suicidal rape victim to give birth, I was mad."
Response: Anger is a response that you are allowed to have, yet it does not in any way mean that abortion would make you happy, would it? We must recognize that this child that was brought to term is a life in the same way that the woman carrying it is a life. It is not the carrier's choice to essentially drop this child the moment she no longer wishes to carry that child.

3) "When the abolish it crowd doesn't care that women will die, I get angry."
Response: "When the choice crowd doesn't care that children will die, I get angry." As you can see, this argument has no bearing on the morality or immorality of remaining undecided when it comes to the issue of abortion. My personal emotional response is irrelevant when deciding on the issue.

4) "When forced birthers think abortion is an easy choice, I get posssed."
Response: I assume you meant to say pissed? That aside, I don't think abortion is an easy choice. Killing isn't an easy choice unless you're a heartless murderer or have been desensitized to it (i.e. killed many children as the staff of an abortion clinic). I believe it's a very difficult choice to make, but this in no way means that it becomes moral because it is difficult. Choosing to murder someone with malice aforethought is a very difficult choice to make as well, yet this is clearly immoral.

5) I welcome the occasional fallacy as long as it's not a strawman."
Response: What? Why do you want me to offer fallacious arguments?

I will wait until Con clarifies her position before presenting a full constructive.
KJVPrewrather

Con

My views have changed, I forfeit. Sorry.
Posted by pi3.14 3 years ago
pi3.14
I would like to point out that if you have a baby that was the result of a rape, you could always give it up for adoption if you don't want to see it everyday.
Posted by pi3.14 3 years ago
pi3.14
Posted by Amphia 3 years ago
Amphia
Something I hate is when people act like being raped/a victim of incest and becoming pregnant isn't a big deal.

They go: "Oh! Don't punish the baby!"

Rape is such a horrible ordeal to go through. It is mentally, emotionally, and physically destructive. Having the child of your rapist is a just a reminder of the terrible event that happened to you.

Why would anyone want that? Every day, to see a child and hate the poor, innocent thing because it reminds you of your abusive father or a stranger in the street who caught you off guard? To remember the evil way in which you were attacked? The suffering you've gone through?

I can't imagine such agony. I literally cannot. And some might say I'm being dramatic but rape isn't something trivial we can just look at and go: "Well, that's too bad but give birth to the baby."

I get that we love babies and some of our religions don't agree with abortion and that's totally okay. But America isn't supposed to be a religious state. We separate Church and state because by trying to impose religious-based laws on the land, we are excluding out the millions of people who have different views or who have different religions.

If abortion is the woman's choice, please leave her alone. Please.