metalfan101
MouthOfTheWolf

Is islam a peaceful religion?

MouthOfTheWolf has forfeited round #2.
Updated: 3 years ago Status: Debating Period

metalfan101

Con

I believe that Islam is not a peaceful religion. I don't see Christians in large scales getting offended over someone mocking christianity, or showing some support for terrorism. I see all over the news of terrorism coming from Muslims from middle eastern countries bombing in the name of Islam, and while not all Muslims are terrorists there are certainly a large scale of Muslims who believe that Sharia Law should be the law of the land, and those numbers only increase in Middle Eastern countries.
MouthOfTheWolf

Pro

Islam itself is a peaceful religion, which is what the title of this debate is asking. However, I will not deny that some terrorists are Muslim... Or at least do their acts in the name of Islam. Flashing back to 9/11, the instigators of that terrible act claimed to do it in the name of Islam, but there were many Muslims who were also killed that day, so you have to wonder if they actually cared about Islam or they just found it a convenient way to "justify" their actions and actually wanted to attack that religion. I highly doubt that there is anything in their holy book that commands Muslims to kill people, rather terrorist acts in the name of Islam are probably due to brainwashing or they were forced to do it. Instead of dissing Muslims and painting swastikas everywhere, maybe people should actually do something about the problem, which is not the religion but instead individuals in the religion more violent than the rest.
metalfan101

Con

And the last verse Not equal are those believers remaining [at home] - other than the disabled - and the mujahideen, [who strive and fight] in the cause of Allah with their wealth and their lives. Allah has preferred the mujahideen through their wealth and their lives over those who remain [behind], by degrees. And to both Allah has promised the best [reward]. But Allah has preferred the mujahideen over those who remain [behind] with a great reward -." in fact, one of the leading members of Isis has a hold an undergraduate degree, masters and PhD from the Islamic University in Baghdad, so I would say this man is pretty educated so I'm pretty sure this man understands Islam and his religion very well if he has a PhD. Terrorists choose to commit terrorist acts, in fact if they commit a terrorist act the Quran says he will get 72 virgins, and on top of that terrorists receive money and make a good living doing what they do. If these terrorists are forced who is forcing them? There are plenty of cases where Muslims who are radicalized who choose to go to places like Syria to fight in Isis. Nobody is forcing them to do it they choose to do those thing. in fact, one of the leading members of Isis has a hold an undergraduate degree, masters and PhD from the Islamic University in Baghdad, so I would say this man is pretty educated so I'm pretty sure this man understands Islam and his religion very well if he has a PhD. And to argue that the religion isn't the problem I would argue is the religion. There are many violent passages in the Quran but we don't see Christians in large scales during violence in the name of Christianity or Christians talking all the violent passages in their holy book seriously but muslims do, and if we see a large scale of violence coming from one religion than other we have to look at the Quran because that is the holy book that Muslims follow.
To your last point about a solution to the problem, ex muslim ayaan hirsi ali has offered a solution which is very similar to one which is for Islam to have a reform much like Christianity had their reform. But the problem is many muslims are content with their holy books, and think that the Quran is so perfect it doesn't need amending how do you expect a reform in Muslims, and muslims scholars think their religion doesn't need a reform. The other solution to the problem is for other Muslim scholars and teachers and parents to tell their kids not to be attracted to groups like Isis but instead many Muslims simply just shout that their religion is peaceful. Even the Green Prince aka. the ex son of Hamas which is an islamic terrorist group even said "To tell them no, Islam is a religion of peace. We just create the perfect climate for terrorists to keep on growing." When the president of the free world stands and says "Islam is a religion of peace" he creates the climate...to create more terrorism,"
Posted by metalfan101 3 years ago
metalfan101
You are saying the numbers of prosperous but if you go look at the pew research study in Palestine 80% of the muslims there want sharia law , and in Jordan it's in the 80's as well. The Pew research also found in Afganistan 99% of Muslims support sharia law. That shouldn't be surprising because anti semitism in places like Palestine, 95% of the population holds them views according to the auto deformation league, and it also speaks volumes because Hamas an islamic terrorist organization influences the Palestinian population as well as their prime minister Abbas. And according to CNN 52% of British muslims think homosexuality should be banned and all of these ideas which are influenced by their religious beliefs.
To address your second point if you look at the amount of Muslims conducted by the pew research study where Muslims want sharia law, and you add up the amount of Muslims who support suicide bombing, or any terrorist organization you can see the numbers are more than 2%. When speaking about Muslims the peaceful muslims are irrelevant because it's the radicalized Muslims that are killing, harming and doing bad things. The Nazis were only a small group during world war 2 and look how much damage they caused as a small group.
Lastly, I didn't say all Muslims are violent I was stating that Islam is not a peaceful religion and the behaviors coming from Muslims are influenced by their religion.
Posted by KalleAnka123 3 years ago
KalleAnka123
Forgot to finish my sentence in the second foot note. I meant to say "please refrain from bringing up my opinion of them. It will not change."
Posted by KalleAnka123 3 years ago
KalleAnka123
You make huge sweeping comments about Islam with no fact whatsoever to back it up. I have a hard time reading your answer because it lacks proper punctuation but some of your numbers are preposterous. 80% wanting sharia laws? You'll only find those kind of numbers in North Korea and other dictatorships where everyone lives perfect lives.

Even if let's say 10-20 million people were violent radicalised "muslims"* (which I highly doubt), that makes up for less than 2% of the worlds muslim population. Islam is the world's second largest religion with 1,7 billion followers. You can't claim all muslims are violent because of an insane few.

In comparison about a quarter of the USA just voted on a president who is openly racist, sexist, and a whole list of other -ists . In Sweden (I'm a Swede) a party which is undeniably racist, xenophobic with some ties to nazism got 13% of the votes last election. If I follow your logic the US is a country led by the KKK and Sweden will soon become the Fourth Reich.**

*I use the quotation marks because any sane person won't consider those morons for real muslims.
**Your opinions on Trump or the Swedish Democrats may differ but I will not discuss it. I am here to talk Islam, and Islam only so please refrain from

Also, just so we're clear, I am a die hard atheist. I have a strong bias against all religions and find them all stupid, just in case you were wondering. I just don't like people talking smack about huge groups of people for no logical reason.
Posted by metalfan101 3 years ago
metalfan101
Speak for yourself your religion is false too
Posted by FollowerofChrist1955 3 years ago
FollowerofChrist1955
Call my bluff, go seek the God of the Bible yourself and see for yourself if He does not reveal Himself too you. You need ONLY an open mind and a sincere heart. Pray too Him, ask Him, to reveal Himself too you, in earnest, then look and see Him begin to reveal His active movement in the Lives of those around you.

This He will also do for you. God is actively working 24 hours a day in the lives of all His children, teaching us, grooming us, correcting us when necessary, loving us always, blessing us always. Nothing happens too us that is NOT Father filtered. Most importantly, we HAVE the complete assurance of eternal life in His love for all time, both NOW as he reveals Himself constantly within our daily walk with Him, and more so when we are privileged to go home.
FollowerofChrist1955
What fails to be considered, is the relationship between ones creator and the ability to continue in His Gods good graces, throughout eternity. To follow a false religion that provides you with a warm fuzzy WITHOUT the assurance of eternal Life in communion WITH God, is useless and without merit. A religion where an alleged god, can do nothing but be passed about by need of people, who came neither defend nor speak of himself, is no more than myth. Any alleged god, who has NOT the power to REVEAL Himself in the REAL WORLD of man, is not worth the pursuit in the first place.
There is ONLY one God who has ,does and is ABLE to reveal Himself as God, from the foundations of the World, who placed the entire History of the World from beginning to its ending, hundreds and thousands of years IN ADAVANCE of its occurrences within the pages of His Word and that IS the God of Abraham, Issac, and Jacob, the God of the Bible.

When YOU go too your God with a pure heart and seek questions for your life, God provides those answers, not once but EVERY TIME you ask Him. Then you have a relationship with God, The God! Anything else? Your in a Religion and you've no hope nor guarantee of salvation. Only the Bible of Christ, guarantees you salvation by the very word of God. Free to those who accept His sacrifice of atoning blood as remission of their sin. Sealed in blood covenant, they are saved, and upon human death, are forever in relationship with Him, never to be separated from His care.

Why waste time speaking of cults which have no foundations in truth of history nor future events. Seek instead the one who kills both the body AND the soul, called the second death. He is the one you will answer too immediately upon drawing your last breath upon this earth. Why waste time on myths!
Posted by canis 3 years ago
canis
No it will destroy anything outside islam..it has been debated 1000 times with the same result..
Posted by metalfan101 3 years ago
metalfan101
But with churches and the reformation of Christianity churches are becoming more accepting towards gays and even some Christians will admitt to violence in the bible. In the Middle East these mosques say anti Jewish, and anti western ideals. I was speaking to a guy from Yemen and he said his mosque was telling him anti American things and his society was reaching anti American things but he went to America and realized that wasn't true. In middle eastern societies anti senetism is very common and in those societies they are using quranic verses to justify them, of course not all Muslims hate Jews but especially in middle eastern societies those attitudes are common. In the West Bank an imam was encouraging Palestinians to stab Jews and we see Palestinians doing just that. So the solution to this would be to have Muslims teachers and parents telling their kids not to be attracted to terrorist organizations, reform their religion and find a way for middle eastern countries to have a better education system that doesn't encourage hatred or close minded ideas.
Posted by metalfan101 3 years ago
metalfan101
I never said Christianity isn't violence and you pointed out violence in the bible but you're missing the point a large scale of Christians are not following the violence that's stated in the bible, we're not getting a large scale of Christians committing terrorism in tte name of Christianity Muslims are. And yes
Christians do get offended over things but they're not reacting violently like Muslims are, if you insult Muhammad or draw a picture of Muhammad they get very angry at anybody deploying Muhammad in any way, Christians don't react violently when people insult Jesus. Second of all, if you think that the Muslims that want sharia law are crazy then in countries like Pakistan, Jordan and the Palestinian Territories a little over 80% want sharia law according to a pew research study those numbers are less in Europe and they go in the 40-50 % range that's still a lot so are you suggesting those Muslims are all crazy? I would say these are normal Muslims who still some racalized beliefs. As far as Christian cults go the Westboto Baptist church is one but again they're not a violent group, and the Christian terrorist groups I see are a problem for people living in that particular areas they're not looking to spread their terrorism elsewhere. To address your last point about Muslims majority shuns radical Islam the YouTube video done by Ben Shapiro says it's not quite as big as you make it. Muslims generally are against terrorism but ask about terrorists groups like Hamas the Muslims I speak to don't condemn them but rather say they're freedom fighters, or they're civilians or stabbing innocent people to defend themselves. Or if you ask Muslims, so while they condemn the obvious terrorist organizations like Isis they sure give other terrorist organizations and from my experience I get surprised when I hear a Muslim speak out againsy Hamas because many do not which leads me to assume these Muslims support terrorism.
Posted by KalleAnka123 3 years ago
KalleAnka123
9. You mix up religion in practice and religion in theory.
In practice: The majority of practitioners of all modern religions today are peaceful. All religions have this stupid minority that does dumb sh*t that gives respective religion a bad name.

In theory: You can't claim with a straight face that any Abrahamic religion (Judaism, Christianity, Islam) is non-violent. All of their respective books, which are their highest cannon, condone violence at some point. If you want a peaceful religion, go for Jainism or Hinduism (though there are violent branches of these as well)

Note:
Sorry for antagonising Christianity, but you kept on comparing Islam to it, as if Christianity is the perfect religion.
Most of the facts I use come from a 5 second Google, please check your facts before you start spreading hate.