Rebeccacarlson
Anonymous

Is marching band a sport?

Anonymous has forfeited round #4.
Started: 3/27/2018 Category: Music
Updated: 3 years ago Status: Debating Period

Rebeccacarlson

Pro

Is marching band a sport?

According to the Oxford Dictionary a sport is an activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual or team competes against another or others for entertainment." Think about this, is it an activity? Does it include physical exertion? Skill? Teams? Competitions? Entertainment for the crowd? The answer to all of these is yes.

PHYSICAL EXERTION"For this one there are many examples. One, you must hold your horn at the perfect angle, roll step, play the music you memorized, be in step, hit your dots, and not fall over. For the non-band nerds this may seem easy but it isn"t. This takes us to the next topic...

SKILL"As for skill, you must be able to play your instrument and remember your music. You also must be able to roll step.

TEAMS"This one isn"t nesscarily true for a sport but the band could be considered a team. We work together to get better.

COMPETITIONS"Most people may not realize this is happening, but the marching bands compete. In basketball, you have the NBA. In football, the NFL. In marching band, DCI. Even high school bands compete.

ENTERTAINMENT FOR THE CROWD"This is the heart of the band. We are there to preform to entertain the crowd. As one of my friends once said "Marching band isn"t the half-time show, football is just the introduction and exiting act of the band." I know many people who go to the football games not for football, but the bands.

May the best man win!

Con

Not a Sport Marching Band definitely takes up as much time as most sports do and you do have to have a lot of talent to do it, however, falling under the athletic category, I'm gonna have to say no. I respect the Marching Band and love the school spirit that they bring to games but they are not physically doing anything athletic. I think it's great that they get lettermen jackets because they totally deserve them for the time they put in, but marching and playing an instrument is a talent, not a sport
Rebeccacarlson

Pro

1) You didn"t back up why it isn"t a sport.

2) With marching band we do more work than any other sport. Name 1 sport that for 2 weeks (at least!) spends 10 hours roasting under the blazing sun over summer break. In basketball, for example, you practice and you go to games. With marching band you practice, go to games, preform half time shows, and attempt to be mentally prepared. With basketball, you memorize plays. With the band you memorize music, dots, horn angle, etc.

Con

No, marching band is not a sport. While it does require more than a minimal amount of physical activity, that doesn't automatically make it a sport. It has to do with music, so what's wrong with classifying it in a similar way to that of a choir or orchestra? Just because you can get gym credits by doing it doesn't make it a sport. Carrying a heavy instrument is far from athletic, and playing fast notes does not make it physically exerting. Requiring skill doesn't make it a sport either. Eating competitions could be considered sports by these terms: They require physical effort, require lots of skill, and are competitive.
Rebeccacarlson

Pro

Marching band much more physical exertion than a pie eating contest, however. In your example, a pie eating contest requires no physical exertion, just the ability to act like a pig. Most football players can"t do marching band correctly. Therefore, we have much more physical exertion than them.

Quick question, have you ever done marching band?

Con

I'm sorry, I completely respect the hard work and dedication, but it's no where near a sport.
You all complain about physically exerting practices and injuries. Part of the reason this is is because you aren't physically fit. One who does not have strong muscles or bones will get injured. Have a runner or soccer player do your training, I'm sure it will be slightly taxing on them but nothing extreme.
Marching Band does no compete in leagues/districts. There is Major League Marching Band, no records dedicated to it, nor is a physical needed to participate in it.
Sure you guys compete and score points.. In shows. I'm sorry call it an activity, art, show, whatever. But no way is it physically taxing as a sport. Let me see you guys run a sub 2:20 half mile and a sub 5:20 mile.

Marching Band definitely takes up as much time as most sports do and you do have to have a lot of talent to do it, however, falling under the athletic category, I'm gonna have to say no. I respect the Marching Band and love the school spirit that they bring to games but they are not physically doing anything athletic. I think it's great that they get lettermen jackets because they totally deserve them for the time they put in, but marching and playing an instrument is a talent, not a sport
Rebeccacarlson

Pro

1. We have a couple runners in our band and he talks about it just the same as us. Hard yet fun. Nerve-racking yet exciting. We also have soccer players, basketball players, bowlers, even a former football player. So, yeah they all thought it was challenging. So save your breath in that category.

2. Sure, we can't run that far, at least most of use can't, but I am sure you couldn't march our 10 minute show AFTER an hour long parade. For example, we marched the Grove City College Homecoming Parade, ate lunch, then went straight to our competition. we didn't get much time to recuperate. Then, if that isn't bad enough, it was at least 90 degrees in our long sleeve uniforms while the outside air was 60.

3. Your last paragraph is the same argument that you used in Round 1.

4. You didn't answer my question.

5. If you don't think it is hard join our band camp. FYI my band camp is much easier than others!
Posted by Anonymous 3 years ago
SHARINGISCARINGg
OMG MARCHING BAND IS A SPORT!!!

Not only is it a sport, it is also THE HARDEST SPORT!

there aint no other kinda sport that make u memorize where to go as well as how long to get there and how many steps you have to take, all while trying to keep your eyes on the drum major so you can keep your feet in time while only facing one direction and playing music that you spent forever memorizing in time while making sure you don't breathe at the same time as anyone else and memorizing horn moves, as well as any other visuals WHILE RUNNING AROUND THE FREAKING FOREVER WITHOUT BEING ALLOWED TO SHOW ANY SIGN OF PHISICAL EXSERTION. And BTW there IS a major league marching band. It's called DCI. Go watch ONE DCI SHOW AND THEN TELL ME THAT U THINK MARCHING BAND ISN'T A SPORT!!
Posted by Anonymous 3 years ago
SHARINGISCARINGg
OMG MARCHING BAND IS A SPORT!!!

Posted by Anonymous 3 years ago
TPPDJT
@Amphia

I cringed when I read that.
Posted by Anonymous 3 years ago
Amphia
Marching band is one of the more artistic, visually appealing sports. Like bowling. Bowling is so satisfying to watch, especially when they get a strike.
Posted by Anonymous 3 years ago
ThatoneYazzybandkid
HeCkEn YeS MaRcHiNg BaNd Is A SpOrT!!